Critigen Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Critigen CEO Jim Eberle
Jim Eberle

Pros
  • There are still some great people (in 3 reviews)

• Had great co-workers before they all left for better opportunities (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Since breaking away from CH2M HILL there have been many challenges that Critigen have faced; the biggest one being the senior leadership group (in 4 reviews)

• Not enough clientele - so loss of contracts means (in 2 reviews)

Change is never easy

I have been working at Critigen full-time

Pros

I have the best mentors here that I have ever had in 15+ years of consulting. Critigen's ability to deliver innovative agile software solutions that harness the power of location is in my opinion - unparalleled having participated in a recently delivered project. Everyone claims to know Agile - Critigen delivers Agile.

Cons

Critigen has been in change mode for some time. First divested out of CH, then from golden gate to transom. What you are seeing here is an evolution from Critigen the A/E spin off to Critigen the up and coming, world class location based service provider. That is not a small evolution. Uncertainty is endemic that kind of solution and its not for the faint of heart.

Advice to Management

Be seen leading through the change, establish and repeat the vision to the staff -

2. consultant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

good professional team mates that deliver quality services

Cons

company needs to have a broader vision of success

Advice to Management

look outside your cocoon

Shifting Times

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Critigen (More than 5 years)

Pros

great people to work with mostly. challenging and varied projects. good salary. good methodologies for running projects. can telework.

Cons

Poor benefits for teleworkers. CxO communication has deteriorated in last few months. Poor sales team, few projects actually getting booked. Lots of churn in sales teams. Second sell off to new VC firm. Divested datacenter group. monthly 4-5 people layoffs...

Advice to Management

secure optimum sales team. it doesnt only have to be GIS centric

5. Culture Review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Critigen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun Environment, Smart People, Central Location

Cons

Lack of vision and strategy at the leadership level Lack of opportunity/advancement

6. Poor customer service

Pros

Good place to learn but keep looking.

Cons

Disjointed management; poor deployment; poor customer service

Advice to Management

Enhance customer experience

Turned down High $ offer to stay with Critigen

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Critigen full-time

Pros

I recently turned down a higher priced position with a local firm to stay with Critigen. I think that speaks volumes. What kept me is the fact that I get to work on some of the best projects in my industry with not just the smartest people from my city, but the smartest people anywhere in the US (and some would argue the planet). Critigen is becoming a great place to innovate and work on important spatial projects. Much of the negatives I had before were that Critigen was not focused. With the sale of managed services division, the company is solely focused on being the best spatial development company out there...with unique advantages in SAP and real-time AVL markets. I get a great opportunity to make my customers REALLY happy here, plus I get to learn tons about the techniques that interest me. That is key for me being happy in my job.

Cons

Much of the infrastructure for the older/larger company is still in place. We need to cut some management positions. Do that and I think we will go to a 5 star company.

Advice to Management

We do not need the same amount of people managing the company as we once did. As painful as it is to self mutilate, all of the C[?]O positions need to be evaluated and considered for removal/repurposing/reduction. Not saying they all need to go, but we have way less folks earning client $, we need way less people supporting. If cuts are made, I hope they are made by looking at cost vs value of the person, not just reducing the headcount by pruning the essential, but low paid or part-time people. That really does nothing to fix the real issue.

GIS Consultant

Current Employee - GIS Consultant
    Current Employee - GIS Consultant

I have been working at Critigen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. I always felt like I was surrounded with the brightest and best. If I ever had a question, I knew there was at least one person in our group that knew the answer. There was always good communication between our team and our practice lead (PL). We were always encouraged to think outside of the box and see if we could bring more value to projects via innovative means. Training and keeping current on the technology was/is always encouraged. The type of projects were always exciting and interesting, which helped eliminate the monotony of day to day work.

Cons

There really are minimal Cons to working at Critigen. If you are in the GIS field, its one of the top GIS Consulting firms out there. I believe it was named Geospatial Consulting Firm of the year in 2012 by some organization. That said, I found the pay to be less than expected, and some benefits (401K Matching) to not exist. These are all things that can rectified in the future.

Advice to Management

I felt that management was always fair. There was always an open line of communication, and I really appreciated that. My advice to management would be to keep that up. Additionally, I would say that while it is great to secure large projects, keep in mind that smaller projects are just as important, and keep people busy.

Big changes after leaving CH2M Hill

Pros

Had great co-workers before they all left for better opportunities

Cons

Management made poor decisions in the beginning

10. Great place to work

I have been working at Critigen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Not enough clientele - so loss of contracts means loss of jobs

Life inside Managed Services

Current Employee - Systems Administration in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Systems Administration in Denver, CO

I have been working at Critigen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Culture unites everyone to achieve singular purpose. - Training and advancement are good. - Management has our back. - Recognition and company updates lend to excellent communication - I have flexibility with my manager to perform my job with balance inside my personal life - Salary is competitive

Cons

- So many projects to perform to keep us evolving - Feedback from other practices tend to diminish our brand and reputation

Advice to Management

- Consider more help to complete projects - Keep the communications, recognition, mission and culture efforts......going well!

RSS Feed </> Embed