Critigen Reviews

Updated March 16, 2015
52 reviews filtered by
Critigen CEO Jim Eberle
Jim Eberle

Pros
  • Excellent technical abilities in GIS and IT and a super group of people to work with (in 3 reviews)

• The technical staff are some of the most talented, hard working, and honest people in the industry (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The instability, lack of communication, and terrible management decisions don't appear to be changing anytime soon (in 3 reviews)

• Since breaking away from CH2M HILL there have been many challenges that Critigen have faced; the biggest one being the senior leadership group (in 4 reviews)

Turned down High $ offer to stay with Critigen

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Critigen full-time

Pros

I recently turned down a higher priced position with a local firm to stay with Critigen. I think that speaks volumes. What kept me is the fact that I get to work on some of the best projects in my industry with not just the smartest people from my city, but the smartest people anywhere in the US (and some would argue the planet).

Critigen is becoming a great place to innovate and work on important spatial projects.

Much of the negatives I had before were that Critigen was not focused. With the sale of managed services division, the company is solely focused on being the best spatial development company out there...with unique advantages in SAP and real-time AVL markets.

I get a great opportunity to make my customers REALLY happy here, plus I get to learn tons about the techniques that interest me. That is key for me being happy in my job.

Cons

Much of the infrastructure for the older/larger company is still in place. We need to cut some management positions. Do that and I think we will go to a 5 star company.

Advice to Management

We do not need the same amount of people managing the company as we once did. As painful as it is to self mutilate, all of the C[?]O positions need to be evaluated and considered for removal/repurposing/reduction. Not saying they all need to go, but we have way less folks earning client $, we need way less people supporting. If cuts are made, I hope they are made by looking at cost vs value of the person, not just reducing the headcount by pruning the essential, but low paid or part-time people. That really does nothing to fix the real issue.

2. GIS Consultant

Current Employee - GIS Consultant
    Current Employee - GIS Consultant

I have been working at Critigen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. I always felt like I was surrounded with the brightest and best. If I ever had a question, I knew there was at least one person in our group that knew the answer. There was always good communication between our team and our practice lead (PL). We were always encouraged to think outside of the box and see if we could bring more value to projects via innovative means. Training and keeping current on the technology was/is always encouraged. The type of projects were always exciting and interesting, which helped eliminate the monotony of day to day work.

Cons

There really are minimal Cons to working at Critigen. If you are in the GIS field, its one of the top GIS Consulting firms out there. I believe it was named Geospatial Consulting Firm of the year in 2012 by some organization. That said, I found the pay to be less than expected, and some benefits (401K Matching) to not exist. These are all things that can rectified in the future.

Advice to Management

I felt that management was always fair. There was always an open line of communication, and I really appreciated that. My advice to management would be to keep that up. Additionally, I would say that while it is great to secure large projects, keep in mind that smaller projects are just as important, and keep people busy.

Big changes after leaving CH2M Hill

I worked at Critigen

Pros

Had great co-workers before they all left for better opportunities

Cons

Management made poor decisions in the beginning

5. Great place to work

I have been working at Critigen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Not enough clientele - so loss of contracts means loss of jobs

Life inside Managed Services

I have been working at Critigen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Culture unites everyone to achieve singular purpose.
    - Training and advancement are good.
    - Management has our back.
    - Recognition and company updates lend to excellent communication
    - I have flexibility with my manager to perform my job with balance inside my personal life
    - Salary is competitive

Cons

- So many projects to perform to keep us evolving
    - Feedback from other practices tend to diminish our brand and reputation

Advice to Management

- Consider more help to complete projects
    - Keep the communications, recognition, mission and culture efforts......going well!

Management doesn't get it

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Critigen full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Not many good things to say. Issues have drive all the talented people away

Cons

This company was the aborted child of CH2M-Hill because of animosity between CH and the people running IT. It never had a reasonable chance of success.

Advice to Management

Listen to people in teh organization and try and keep teh good ones around. Don't just listen to teh sales team.

8. Definitely on track!

Current Employee - Systems Administration in Denver, CO

I have been working at Critigen full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Critigen has many pros that you just don't find at other companies:

- Culture of integrity with strong team work and high performance is celebrated. I feel empowered to help customers.

- Career growth: Lots of room to grow, depending on the path you choose. Critigen is very accommodating and wants to keep its employees happy! It's nice to have a career within a very fun and engaging work place, so it’s not just a job

- Leadership: Very Strong Management Team in Managed Services

Cons

Cons – Antiquated internal systems to support clients.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and continue full steam ahead. Employees seem rally behind you when you include them in your vision & methodology for getting us to the next level. Let’s Go!

9. I have worked at Critigen for almost 4 years.

I have been working at Critigen part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, decent pay, good benefits (except 401k match needs to be reinstated), great coworkers, ability to work at home, open to suggestions.

Cons

Excessive turnover. Need more public recognition of projects won, positive comments from clients, etc.

Advice to Management

Keep working on improving communication to all levels of employees. Continue to allow anonymous feedback if an employee prefers doing that as I believe more people will be honest with how they really feel.

10. I have had such an opportunity to grow and develop here

I have been working at Critigen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-We’ve had merit increases every year since 2010
    -I’ve had the opportunity to stretch and grow in my role/career
    -I’ve had the opportunity to make decisions and take ownership of my work.

Cons

Work life balance can be hard at times based on deliverable/project deadlines, but the workload flexes and is overall manageable.

Advice to Management

Keep up the communication from employees to all level of leadership and the reverse (all hands, emails, etc.).

Meh

I have been working at Critigen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

So far this company stays in business despite itself, so must have something going for it.

Cons

The company struggles to stay afloat. One of Critigen's stragegies to save the ship was to pull benefits. Company no longer contributes to 401K, vacation plan adjusted to favor company - and make more dificult for employees. There are too many accounts of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. Too much talent has left and even been laid off. If you are part of a project that wraps up, you can be fairly sure you will be laid off, regardless of your skill.

Advice to Management

Not close enough to managment to know what the problem is, but they seem to be scrambling and lack focus.