Crocs
www.crocs.com Niwot, CO 1000 to 5000 Employees

Crocs Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014
Crocs – Corte Madera – “Crocs sign at a Crocs store”

Crocs CEO and Director John P. McCarvel

John P. McCarvel

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance, every other Friday off, 2 week closure at Christmas time"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Great people/colleagues who are smart, hard working and innovative daily - who "find their fun" everyday"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior Management and middle management are deathly afraid of CEO, and manage accordingly"
    in 6 reviews
  • "There is currently a lot of frequent turnover in the upper management"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Crocs the worst place I ever worked. .

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Crocs full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe shoe discount and staff as far as non upper management.

ConsUpper management. They are unethical, the Dm lie to cover each other butt. The dm drops the ball and throws store manager and assistant mgr under the bus. The CEO John is now leaving Crocs. There has been tons of high level management quit with in a few months of joining. The Dm curse and yell at staff no one does anything about it. The so called bonus they offer to bring you on at a lower rate is a fraud. They make last minute changes and expect you to do them with no hope no hours and after your 12 hr regular work day. There is always break violations as you are never allowed to take a break. The dm and area manager love to gossip and tell everyone they like your business. If you file an ethics case no one does anything about it. You are allowed to be harassed, verbal and others. Dm make management feel as they can lose their job at the drop of a hat. The min you dont kiss their butt or agree with what thay want your fired ..they make a decision to fire your staff without ever talking to them. Their excuse is I said so and I dont like them. I have never worked where you can post someone job while they are still employed and they have never done anything wrong and you tell the store manager find away to fire them. This is the most unethical place I have ever workwd. HR is supposed to have your back but forget it they are all about covering up for the DM so they cant be sued. They keep people they know are doing unethical things because they are scared of a law suit. Run as fast as you can the other way...

Advice to Senior ManagementVisit your stores places cameras sew how your DM really are. Swnd out survey when people leave.

Former Employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Crocs full-time for more than a year

ProsMy store manager, the products, and the people I worked with.

ConsThe new upper management treats you like dirt. Once they don't like you for any reason whether it is personal or work related you are let go. Ethics are at a long time low. Their work creed is a lie. Won't ever go back to another crocs and neither will family or friends.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue!!!

Current Leadership will Never Allow Brand to Reach Potential

Niwot, CO

I have been working at Crocs full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- gym onsite
- good pay (but they have to entice people to drive to Niwot)
- peers are genuine
- flex schedules

Cons- No Company Vision or Mission - what are we trying to do?
- Current leadership is too proud to admit they cannot fix the mess they have made
- Poor people development, no investment in talent the company has
- Promotions are not based on performance and people are in positions they shouldn't be in
- Leadership does not walk the walk and only talks the talk - get the wrong people off the bus!
- Little communication from management/leadership
- Tons of talent but micro-managed to the point everyone becomes ineffective
- Little respect for those who are making us money - sales people, store associates, etc should be your focus on development
- No investment in training

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk away and let someone with experience, vision, leadership and chops step up.

Poor management crushes any hopes

I worked at Crocs full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFun, passionate people working in the trenches
Fun product w/ decent employee perks for merchandise
Bigger organization then most people realize

Cons- Flextronics 'old boy's club' at nearly all levels. If you don't have that name on your resume or a 'favored child' of the CEO, don't set your expectations high for advancement.

- A kind or heartfelt 'thank you' is too much to ask for most members of management. This is not a culture that even communicates the occasional 'attaboy' (which are free by the way)

- Expect to be grinded down and stressed out - especially in the middle management positions.

- M3 (a rip-off of Lean Six Sigma) is an ok concept but implemented poorly. It has become a cult philosophy of Senior Management and all the beauracracy around it has DETRACTED from the ability of anyone to do their job.

- Senior management lacks experience in the roles they are performing; their lack of experience is very evident.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ask something of your employees you are unwlling to do yourself.

Changes are needed

I have been working at Crocs full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome fun people, face paced environment

ConsNo promotion from within, senior leaders don't care about each other or their employees, lots of politics

A Pretty Picture of a Sinking Ship

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Crocs full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- The culture reflects by putting strong emphasis on customer service.
- Pay for performance bonus and incentive structure.
- Brand loyalty to a great product.

Cons- The company makes poor business decisions on a daily basis.
- Projects, pricing, and directives are created and changed recklessly forcing budget cuts to be partnered with lies and broken promises.
- Communication is barely existent and extremely "last minute" creating a very unstable work environment.
- Stores are empowered to make "smart" business decisions based around the customer but in turn impulsively micro manage those decisions.
- Senior leadership refuses to take accountability for their mistakes.
- Consistent low morale throughout the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn terms of retail life, this company IS very young, but it's painful to watch it's steady decline year after year directly related to the hiring and promoting choices in Colorado. Take accountability for your actions and stop taking it out on your field teams (and customers) in order to squeeze every bit out of your already high profit margins. What was once a fun place to work is just a paycheck now...

Advancement ONLY IF YOUR NOT A STORE EMPLOYEE!!!

I worked at Crocs

Prosgreat people to working.. but within the store it pretty typical day like working in any other retail store.

Consadvancement from the store to corporate is a NO GO!! my manager who had the best sellers in the west couldn't get promoted to district or regional management. I was 4th best seller in the west and my email and calls were never returned for an internship. Most internships where given to students from the ART INSTITUTE OF COLORADO, not from the people that are work for them in the stores.

Advice to Senior ManagementI love Crocs but they are more about who you know than what you know. my best advice is if you don't know someone there.. LINKEDIN THEM!!!

Great Brand, Executive Micromanagement....

I worked at Crocs full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAwesome Brand & Products
Casual Work Environment
Solid attempts at building talent pool
Caring People that want success for the company and career

ConsTremendous lack of trust in people
Decision making - more times than not, second guessed by leadership
Back channel politics is encouraged

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your people, they have great ideas to improve the company and the business. Work with them rather than authoritarian approach. Stop "Do as I say, Not as I do" approach to leadership.

With new management, great upside!!!!

Boulder, CO

ProsGreat product.
Great people in the trenches.
Boulder.
Ton of potential.
Global Brand.
Balanced global sales.

ConsC team is weak - they don't know how to run a product company. They claim to be ops experts, but the operations are lacking. The CEO is a bully who has no vision on how to get this company turned around. The stock has been down for 2 years while the sales/revenues continue to rise. He has failed to make any moves to turn around this situation. His solution is to scream at people and constantly change his mind. There is not trust with anyone below him and he does not know what success looks like for Crocs in the next 5 years. There is no solid strategic plan. There is no plan to market the shoes to bring in additional customers.
There has been a steady stream of people being hired and then leaving based on their frustrations and constant bullying from the top. They instituted a Golden Parachute for all the C level execs this summer and are now shopping around the company to potential investors to go private. Translation: they want to get out of Crocs with as much money as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave. Be the team that took the brand to $1B. But please leave.The Board needs to hire more people with industry experience

Fear, Greed, Intimidation, Incompetence all rolled into one place

Senior Leader (Current Employee)
Niwot, CO

I have been working at Crocs full-time for more than 5 years

ProsClose to - but NOT in, Boulder, CO. That's it, kids.

ConsWhere do I start?

- Very little mobility within the organization. Director and VP jobs are given only to those who agree with CEO, who is a textbook narcissist (he over-rates his intelligence, gets joy out of making others look bad, and trusts no one).

Non-concurring opinions are met with harsh discipline and punished in ways big and small. It's a club and McCarvel is the club president and if he likes you (because you shake your head and agree with him) you're in!!

- C-suite team is largely incompetent and not a single one of them would have a similar position at a real company, with a real leader and real management and a real Board of Directors. Those "in power" are not powerful but rather puppets who have somehow managed to trade in every ounce of self-respect they might have had for an options package which is now shrinking in value. How's that working out for you guys?

- Disengaged Board of Directors who clearly don't care that a company that has roughly doubled its sales over the past 4 years cannot seem to reward stockholders with higher share prices. This BoD seems to love McCarvel and nobody in the actual company can understand why, since he is roundly hated by those not in the C-suite.

- The worst evaluators of talent I have ever seen. In 80% of the cases where someone gets promoted, I found myself saying that I would do almost the exact opposite. This company simply does not understand who their talent is (hint; they're the ones leaving in droves).

- No understanding of how to grow and manage a consumer brand. Most of the top executives come from Flextronics - an electronics company whose mission was to squeeze every ounce of cost savings from small parts manufacturing and resell them. Only one of them has prior footwear experience and he is an outright failure as a leader.

Guess what? This aint that… its a CONSUMER BRAND where actual dollars have to be spent on marketing. Any wonder why they can't hold on to a Chief of Marketing for longer than a year? When cuts come at Crocs - and I assure you they are going to come more frequently now - Marketing has the biggest target on its back.

- Wall St. hates Crocs. Hates the management. Hates the lack of vision and strategy. Hates that Crocs actually hates its own customers (you know her - she's got a big butt and is shopping at Sam's Club).

- M3 SUCKS. And anyone who has had to endure it knows Im right.

- The SAP installation will likely be the death nail in the coffin of Crocs. How many of these installations run smoothly you ask? Exactly none. Especially in companies doing business in over 100 countries. The SAP installation is the absolute last thing this company can handle, but because of the exceptionally poor integration of its current systems, it has to be done. Question; will the operation kill the patient? I'm saying it will.

- Did I mention the culture of fear, greed, intimidation and incompetence? It's alive and well at Crocs, thanks to the aforementioned Mr. McCarvel and his band of sorry want-to-be leaders who can't find the sack to stand up to him.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust quit already. You have proven your ability and it is severely lacking. Another level of talent is needed; current stock price shows what Wall St. thinks of the management team.

Worked for Crocs? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Crocs reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Crocs CEO John P. McCarvel. All 93 reviews posted anonymously by Crocs employees.