Crocs

Updated November 20, 2014
2.6

Crocs CEO and Director John P. McCarvel
John P. McCarvel

Pros
  • Good work life balance, every other Friday off, 2 week closure at Christmas time (in 9 reviews)

• Great people/colleagues who are smart, hard working and innovative daily - who "find their fun" everyday (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management was scatty and difficult to get hold of if one had a query or concern (in 9 reviews)

• As soon as it seems like the upper management is getting it together it seems to fall apart (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

39 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The future might be promising

Current Employee - Global/Corporate in Niwot, CO
    Current Employee - Global/Corporate in Niwot, CO

I have been working at Crocs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many changes seem like they might be promising but there are still more changes coming. It is difficult to understand what the impact of all the changes will be.

Cons

There is very little communication about the future plans and how we will get there.

Create clear and concise goals that everyone can rally around.

Laid Back and Enjoyable Learning Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niwot, CO

I have been working at Crocs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The environment is very laid back and open, although in the last 6 years it's grown more stressful and corporate-like. The management team takes work-life balance pretty seriously, usually discourages overtime, and allows employees to work from home regularly. Base compensation is fair for the region. There are only a few departments in which employees work over 40 hours a week. The super casual culture is the most attractive element of working there.

Cons

Growing pains. The fast growth of the company meant they didn't have many processes in place when their sales took off. No one knew it would be this successful this fast. We had to adapt. It's been painful, but we did it. Now on the other side of it, we have to keep it fresh. Instead, benefits are getting worse every year and yet they tell us they are improving. Bonuses are not what they used to be. There seems to be a general air of corporate tension in a company that used to feel small and warm. Very little seems to get done due to meetings all the time.

I would ask the management to simply be honest about things and cultivate an environment of transparency, rather than one of manipulation. Instead of giving the reason of improvement as why we changed health insurance providers, tell us it's because we need to save money. We can appreciate honesty. I would like to understand the bonus calculations better. How about a class on how they are calculated? As a result of the what I've seen over the last 18 months, I've grown quite disenchanted with a company I used to love.

New management getting worse by the day

Current Employee - Middle Management in Niwot, CO
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Niwot, CO

I have been working at Crocs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of good, passionate people.
    Some great products in key categories that consumers really love.

Cons

Management ... new management is worse than ever.
    Don't talk about culture. Live it. Good companies don't talk about culture all the time - they get stuff done.
    Unreliable revenue forecasts due to constant Operations surprises.
    Invest heavily in product categories (still) that basically no one wants.

In a short 6 months, President Andrew Rees has proven his ineptitude as a leader. All he’s done is cut 200+ jobs and hire several friends to senior positions from Sperry and Reebok. These are companies who’s best days were decades ago. How can he believe these people will strengthen the management team? He didn’t look for people from Skechers, Nike, or Under Armour. What a complete joke of a President. It didn't take long for him to prove his lack of experience and vision early. Being a consultant doesn't mean he's done anything other than tell others how to do their jobs better.

To those who remain - get ready for your walking papers. Once the ERP project is completed in early 2015, expect more layoffs. Any revenue and profit miss in future quarters, expect more layoffs. Morale stinks and gets worse by the day but the company will just cut more until it gets profitable. Trust no one. I'm looking now.

The COO needs to lose his job due to continued horrible product deliveries. This season is no different than others. There's a saying about the definition of insanity. How the management team keeps him around is shocking.

The management team isn't honest or transparent about future plans. Employees are kept in the dark and learn just enough moments in advance of changes. If you want to get people to do more than talk in the halls and work hard, tell us what the future holds.

It was ok.

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Niwot, CO
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Niwot, CO

I worked at Crocs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great discount on great shoes. Love the product. They want to be a fun place to work, but they are not there.

Cons

Ugh. Leadership. Also, they hire cheap. So they will low ball you.

The culture needs work. They claim to be a fun place to work, or say they want to be, but there is a big culture of fear going on. You never know if your job will be there the next day. It's tough on people.

Listen to what people want, talk to them, be transparent.

So-So Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niwot, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niwot, CO

I worked at Crocs full-time

Pros

- during the spring and summer free ice cream Thursdays
    - softball league
    - beer bashes

Cons

- lack of leadership, however, it appears that is changing under Blackstone
    - hard to sell products w/o advertising in paper, magazines & TV.
    - dislike older employees, they want to dump them.

If you are a smart woman, don't work here!

Former Employee - Anonymous in Niwot, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Niwot, CO

I worked at Crocs full-time

Pros

Interesting work. Smart people. In beautiful Colorado. Ok work life balance.

Cons

So, Crocs is the biggest boys club I have ever seen. Nearly all the directors are men. Nearly everyone who has an office is a man. Crocs even implemented an initiative called "Women at Crocs". It's a breakfast with a keynote speaker, and to talk with other female employees. About what? I don't know. I didn't go. Something about asserting yourself at work. I felt the whole thing patronizing. To add, Crocs is a shoe company selling to primarily women, while being run by men. Crocs marketing decisions and product development reflects this gender gap.

Another note, Crocs has poor communication with their employees, and they are very sloppy in handling issues.

Crocs is actually a good place to work--interesting wok, smart people. It's just that you will be out of the top circle of decision makers. Being smart and ambitious won't change this fact.

Be prepared for the boy's club. Take your talent elsewhere.

Focus. There is a supreme lack of focus. Go after revenue generating ideas. It should go without saying, but this isn't happening. Hire, and keep intelligent people. Not just 'yes' men. Crocs is falling because the people in charge are just there for a job. They are not passionate and not innovative.

Narcississtic leadership

Former Employee - Director in Niwot, CO
    Former Employee - Director in Niwot, CO

I worked at Crocs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

discount makes the shoes priced where they should be
    casual dress
    some really good and passionate people

Cons

Self-important leadership
    Clique-ish management circles where the "in crowd" plots again "the people who don't matter" (actual quotes)
    ZERO focus on cultural behaviors
    Duplicitous leadership mantra - tell the masses what they want to hear, then do what you want

Congratulations on all your success. For all your accomplishments and competency, hows the company performance and attrition improved based on anything you've done? By a mirror, read more, and stop, just sop what you are doing. Look like your moving to Boston...good luck with your golden parachutes :-/

Enormous disappointment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niwot, CO

I have been working at Crocs full-time

Pros

Ice cream Thursdays and corn hole.

Cons

Crocs has been an enormous disappointment. It is the worst management and company I have ever worked for. There is no training, yet you are expected to know everything about your job on day one. Basic useful information does not exist and countless hours are spent trying to obtain answers just to do your job. The employees who have been here for a long time and have the knowledge/tools/information, refuse to help and simply let the new people struggle.

Forget talking to anyone in human resources. They are a terribly unhelpful group and rarely return phone calls or respond to emails. None of them are friendly and they seem downright miserable - like it's a chore for them to even say "hi".

The management team makes awesome salaries and bonuses while paying the rest of us way below market. Management members don't listen and tend to be exceedingly rude and dismissive towards the employees. Crocs is supposed to be "FUN" (one of their supposed values), but it is far from it. People here are miserable and on edge. Too many bad business decisions and mistakes are made every day. It's sickening to witness.

There's much more, but I won't waste any more time. I need to find another job because I am not going down with this doomed ship.

Wake up. Get rid of the CFO before he destroys the entire company. He is negatively impacting the whole organization with his outrageous disrespectful behavior, lack of integrity, and complete failure to listen or communicate. Which is why most of the employees are questioning why he is in the position he is. He has no business managing people whatsoever. The company hasn't been able to find a new CEO. No wonder. Who wants to take over this mess? It would be best to sell the company as quickly as possible to someone who actually knows what it takes to run a successful shoe business. Good luck.

Fire Drills

Former Employee - Retail in Niwot, CO
    Former Employee - Retail in Niwot, CO

I worked at Crocs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice People, Discount, Work Life Balance was decent.

Cons

Lack of structure on the Americas side of the business.

Take a look at people who are getting paid to sit on their butts and literally do nothing.

Great company

Current Employee - Trade Compliance Manager in Niwot, CO
    Current Employee - Trade Compliance Manager in Niwot, CO

I have been working at Crocs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Riendly people who take an interest in waht you are doing. Management is flexible about family and work-life balance.

Cons

Sometimes lack of planning. Last second fire drills.

Crocs Photos

Crocs sign at a Crocs store
Window