Cross Co.

4.7

Steve Earley

Best Place I Have Ever Worked

I have been working at Cross Co. full-time

Pros

People are authentic. Fellow associates and managers genuinely care. People are engaged and accountable. Servant style leadership and open communication.

Cons

Due to the historic successes of Cross, people are slow to change. I think people are afraid they will mess up a good thing (which may be a healthy fear).

Continue to focus on creating solid strategic plans. Hold on tight to the Core Values.

Wonderful company that really cares about their associates!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Cross Co. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits; work/life flexibility; family friendly; competitive salary; ESOP; management that listens and cares. I love that I never have to worry about what the management of this company is doing because transparency is huge at this company and I have the utmost faith that they will be honest and always strive to do the right thing by the associates. I could not feel more blessed to have joined the Cross family and I hope that I can stay with this company for many years to come!

Cons

Smaller company and relatively flat management structure, but experiencing strong growth which will allow for a lot of advancement opportunities.

Keep up the excellent work!

Cross Co. is a friendly and good place to work.

Former Employee - Warehouse in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Cross Co. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company is employee owned so there is a large commitment to growing and bettering the company. The staff at any particular location is not that large, so it is easy to communicate between the different departments easily. The employees generally are nice and treat new employees with much respect. My experience provided me a chance to develop great relationships with the other coworkers.

Cons

The negative of Cross Co. would be since it is a smaller company, there is not a lot of promotions that occur within the company. Promotions only happen when the person above you retires or moves on. The company is growing, however, so more opportunities may present themselves in the near future. The diversity of the jobs performed at Cross Co. are not that broad.

Provide better incentives to the employees to do their best work. The employees received a cash bonus and this really boosted moral, however the general consensus was that the employees would like to be compensated in their weekly checks (raises).

Great company

Former Employee - Warehouse Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Warehouse Employee in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Cross Co. as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Goal-oriented, friendly atmosphere, good teamwork company-wide between different groups, expectations made clear, good on the job training, opportunity for growth, ESOP

Cons

Pay to work scale relatively low,

Great "smaller" company with encouraging culture.

Former Employee - Director of Operations in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Director of Operations in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Cross Co.

Pros

- employee owned.
    - large enough for business and human systems "niceties" but small enough to stay in touch.
    - caring culture.
    - somewhat progressive management thinking.
    - customer driven while being employee connected too.

Cons

- too many of its leaders had tunnel vision i.e. "why change? we've our current approach has work well for years.
    - too accepting of mis-steps and failings of some management -- i.e. the markets moved away from sales force and corrective actions taken too late to retain momentum.
    - company retained its paternalistic origins too long and suffered accordingly in the marketplace.

- must balance desire "to promote from within" with benefits of new energy/vision often gained from "outside new hires" -- especially for key leadership roles.
    - be tougher on creating "sales force accountability" in goals, performance and results.

Great Company to Work For!

I have been working at Cross Co. full-time

Pros

The people are wonderful and it truly is a wonderful culture of openness and integrity. The benefits are top notch and everyone is treated wtih respect.

Cons

It is a smaller company which has its perks, but depending on the area you are in, there may not be as much opportunity for growth as some larger companies could offer.