Cross Cultural Solutions

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steven C. Rosenthal

Inspiring Workplace, Passionate Colleagues

Director of Operations (Current Employee)
    New Rochelle, NY

ProsIf you want to work in an environment where you're inspired every day and you're truly valued, CCS is the place! I'm surrounded by colleagues who have all taken part in our programs as an international volunteers, and are passionate about global issues and their next program and travel experience. CCS is the type of work environment where motivated go-getters can go far - your ideas are listened to, and you have the opportunity to put them into action. This is the type of place where I look forward to going to work!

ConsThe commute can be a bit lengthy coming from New York City!

Non profit that is run like a for profit company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI liked that they let us travel to a program each year.

ConsCompensation for the lower level people was low, but for higher level people seemed very high.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to keep the talented younger staff, consider increasing your salaries.

Time for major change

New Rochelle, NY

ProsIt was nice working for a mission I was passionate about and speaking with people who were excited about volunteering abroad. My position offered many opportunities to travel abroad and volunteer during the course of my employment. I enjoyed spending time with my team members inside and outside of the office.

Getting to know our staff members in other countries around the world was the best perk of the job. Our country directors were amazing people.

Good benefits, lots of time off.

ConsUnfortunately, CCS has been in a downward spiral ever since I joined the organization. There have been three rounds of layoffs and probably more to come. There is no real leadership or vision to improve the organization's situation; yet the senior management seems immune to any consequences from these struggles. It was frustrating to see senior management make the same mistakes over and over again, only to be forced to lay-off more employees to fix their mistakes.

Management team makes annual budgets based on improving sales and revenue; which never happens. People who put together these unrealistic budgets are never held accountable for their lack of foresight. The blame is usually thrust upon entry-level employees who are really in a no-win situation because they have no actual tools to improve sales on a stale product.

Office hours are 9 to 6 with a mandatory unpaid 1 hour lunch. This makes living in Manhattan and commuting to New Rochelle very difficult.

Office morale is low due to constant missed goals, budget cuts, and lay-offs.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know how to fix the organization, but I know that trying to sell the same overpriced product to consumers who have shown they have no interest in it is not a sound strategy. It is time for drastic changes. It is time for a shake-up at the senior management level and someone who will bring in actual new ideas, and not just superficial changes like a new website and logo.

CEO Steve Rosenthal needs to be removed from the Board of Directors. It's against non-profit best practices to have the CEO on the Board, and it creates a conflict of interest for this struggling organization. The thing that CCS needs most is a strong, independent Board of Directors who demand accountability and results from CCS' grossly overpaid executive team.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is a wonderful organisation!!!!!!!!

In-country Russia Director (Former Employee)
    Yaroslavl', Yaroslavskaya Oblast' (Russia)

ProsYou meet and work in an International Organisation where the spirit of a family reigns.

ConsYou work 24 hours a day and nearly 7 days a week ................but you are happy about!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on being the way you, guys!

Management for international volunteer organisation

Russian Program Director (Current Employee)
    Yaroslavl', Yaroslavskaya Oblast' (Russia)

ProsIt is a great interesting job giving you lots of knowledge of people of different cultures, opportunity to share with them your own culture and help them discover themselves in their support of those who need their warmth and support

ConsNo possibility to have vacations in summer

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what they do

High hopes with unrelenting hard truths

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStrong sense of international community; Global Staff are wonderful to work with and are experts at what they do; Mission driven and a sense of family at NY Office

ConsBoard doesn't seem to demand accountability over budgeting or decision making; Not enough focus on professional development; In a transitional period where in the market of international volunteering, CCS was once dominant but now they are fighting to keep their head above water with numerous competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to develop your managers. Most have never had experience with working with teams or choose favoritism as a management style.

An interesting position at first

Contry Director (Former Employee)
    Rabat (Morocco)

Proscultural broadening because of meeting very different people with very different backgrounds

Consdealing with peoples with psychological problems including volunteers and colleagues

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on the important rather than on the "he said, she said"

Worked for Cross Cultural Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cross Cultural Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cross Cultural Solutions CEO Steven C. Rosenthal. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Cross Cultural Solutions employees.