Cross Cultural Solutions

Steven C. Rosenthal

Inspiring Workplace, Passionate Colleagues

Current Employee - Director of Operations in New Rochelle, NY
    Current Employee - Director of Operations in New Rochelle, NY

I have been working at Cross Cultural Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you want to work in an environment where you're inspired every day and you're truly valued, CCS is the place! I'm surrounded by colleagues who have all taken part in our programs as an international volunteers, and are passionate about global issues and their next program and travel experience. CCS is the type of work environment where motivated go-getters can go far - your ideas are listened to, and you have the opportunity to put them into action. This is the type of place where I look forward to going to work!

Cons

The commute can be a bit lengthy coming from New York City!

Non profit that is run like a for profit company.

I worked at Cross Cultural Solutions

Pros

I liked that they let us travel to a program each year.

Cons

Compensation for the lower level people was low, but for higher level people seemed very high.

If you want to keep the talented younger staff, consider increasing your salaries.

Time for major change

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Rochelle, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Rochelle, NY

I worked at Cross Cultural Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was nice working for a mission I was passionate about and speaking with people who were excited about volunteering abroad. My position offered many opportunities to travel abroad and volunteer during the course of my employment. I enjoyed spending time with my team members inside and outside of the office.

Getting to know our staff members in other countries around the world was the best perk of the job. Our country directors were amazing people.

Good benefits, lots of time off.

Cons

Unfortunately, CCS has been in a downward spiral ever since I joined the organization. There have been three rounds of layoffs and probably more to come. There is no real leadership or vision to improve the organization's situation; yet the senior management seems immune to any consequences from these struggles. It was frustrating to see senior management make the same mistakes over and over again, only to be forced to lay-off more employees to fix their mistakes.

Management team makes annual budgets based on improving sales and revenue; which never happens. People who put together these unrealistic budgets are never held accountable for their lack of foresight. The blame is usually thrust upon entry-level employees who are really in a no-win situation because they have no actual tools to improve sales on a stale product.

Office hours are 9 to 6 with a mandatory unpaid 1 hour lunch. This makes living in Manhattan and commuting to New Rochelle very difficult.

Office morale is low due to constant missed goals, budget cuts, and lay-offs.

I don't know how to fix the organization, but I know that trying to sell the same overpriced product to consumers who have shown they have no interest in it is not a sound strategy. It is time for drastic changes. It is time for a shake-up at the senior management level and someone who will bring in actual new ideas, and not just superficial changes like a new website and logo.

CEO Steve Rosenthal needs to be removed from the Board of Directors. It's against non-profit best practices to have the CEO on the Board, and it creates a conflict of interest for this struggling organization. The thing that CCS needs most is a strong, independent Board of Directors who demand accountability and results from CCS' grossly overpaid executive team.

Global Colleagues, Travel Opportunities, Feel-Good Non-profit

I have been working at Cross Cultural Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love working with a team of global colleagues around the world, as well as those who have been inspired by volunteering abroad on a program and want to see positive change happen through cross-cultural connection around the world. I have been afforded many opportunities within the company and feel like I have had unique travel experiences that I would not have received if I worked elsewhere. I also have great benefits and a generous time-off allowance, allowing me a decent work-life balance.

Cons

As is typical of the non-profit world, salaries can be a bit lower than other professionals in my field who are working in for-profit companies. However, this is the life I chose because it is important to me to work somewhere that is taking action in something I truly believe in.

It is a wonderful organisation!!!!!!!!

Former Employee - In-country Russia Director in Yaroslavl', Yaroslavskaya Oblast' (Russia)

I worked at Cross Cultural Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You meet and work in an International Organisation where the spirit of a family reigns.

Cons

You work 24 hours a day and nearly 7 days a week ................but you are happy about!

Keep on being the way you, guys!

Management for international volunteer organisation

Current Employee - Russian Program Director in Yaroslavl', Yaroslavskaya Oblast' (Russia)

I have been working at Cross Cultural Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a great interesting job giving you lots of knowledge of people of different cultures, opportunity to share with them your own culture and help them discover themselves in their support of those who need their warmth and support

Cons

No possibility to have vacations in summer

Keep on doing what they do

High hopes with unrelenting hard truths

I worked at Cross Cultural Solutions full-time

Pros

Strong sense of international community; Global Staff are wonderful to work with and are experts at what they do; Mission driven and a sense of family at NY Office

Cons

Board doesn't seem to demand accountability over budgeting or decision making; Not enough focus on professional development; In a transitional period where in the market of international volunteering, CCS was once dominant but now they are fighting to keep their head above water with numerous competitors.

Take time to develop your managers. Most have never had experience with working with teams or choose favoritism as a management style.

An interesting position at first

Former Employee - Contry Director in Rabat (Morocco)
    Former Employee - Contry Director in Rabat (Morocco)

I worked at Cross Cultural Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

cultural broadening because of meeting very different people with very different backgrounds

Cons

dealing with peoples with psychological problems including volunteers and colleagues

Concentrate on the important rather than on the "he said, she said"