Crossroads Systems

3.5

Rob Sims

Strong leadership team

I worked at Crossroads Systems

Pros

Strong senior team with strategic vision for the future of the company

Cons

Some market challenges with product offerings

Nice people, good culture

Former Employee - Programmer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Programmer in Austin, TX

I worked at Crossroads Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay - I really liked the people I worked with - they were all really nice.

Cons

Our product was not sold after finished.

IT was good while it lasted

I have been working at Crossroads Systems

Pros

Great work environment, no micro management

Cons

Lots of layoffs, started with 150 now there are 40 employees

Production Tester

Former Employee - Production Tester in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Production Tester in Austin, TX

I worked at Crossroads Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A very nice company to work for. The people at Crossroads are committed to what their doing. I miss working with everyone.

Cons

9/11 layoff, that cause my leaving the Austin, TX area.

Very respectable, I would love to work with a Management Group like that one anytime.

Strange company environment

I have been working at Crossroads Systems

Pros

The pay is great along with the 401k matching.

Cons

Technology is somewhat limited. It is mainly an proprietary storage appliance that uses tape drives. The company is situated in a warehouse so it is very dark. Some of the developers were really great to work along side. However, I didn't really like working with the QA group.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Crossroads Systems full-time

Pros

Great, dedicated and smart people throughout the company. Good vision for the company at the executive level. Good management who understand the realities of software development, develop aggressive but attainable schedules and don't require death-marches. Flexible development environment: they provide developer's choice of Windows, Mac or Linux as a workstation. Great work/life balance: you can work from home whenever you like with little to no pushback, or arrive/leave early or late as your family's schedule requires. The focus is on writing quality software, not on the appearance of writing quality software. They have a well-stocked refrigerator with soda, bottled water and juice. Often there is free food in the break room when a lunch meeting over orders.

Cons

Revenue revenue revenue. Company is dependent on a single, relatively new product that appears to be having trouble getting traction in the marketplace.

Stay transparent: you have a workforce full of dedicated people who love the company and want it to succeed.

Great company to work for

I worked at Crossroads Systems full-time

Pros

Relaxed culture. Very friendly. Managers show they really do care about their employees.

Cons

Not nearly as fast-paced as it once was. Data storage and security is a tough market nowadays.

Great company and people, but incompetent management.

Former Employee - Senior C++ Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior C++ Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Crossroads Systems as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The engineers are all very skilled and communicate with each other well. Their software development practices are sound, efficient, and organized. These guys actually take the time to document their work, and comment on others documents as well. This is some serious high class software engineering, not just a pile of sloppy code thrown together with digital duck tape like I've witnessed at other companies.

The culture is great and the people I met there were all very friendly and helpful. The perks are nice too. Free soft drinks and bottled water throughout the day, quite often you can grab some free food when they order too much for a lunch meeting, etc. The aspect I liked and appreciated the most was the tremendous flexibility that they offered. You can work from home whenever you need to and no one ever raises a fuss about it. Hours are extremely flexible. As long as you show up (or call in) for important meetings and get your work done, that's all that matters.

Cons

Management. They gave me nothing but empty promises from day one. I was hired as a C++ software developer, but instead was forced into a much different roll that they needed someone to fill. I was told that it was a temporary situation and that I'd move to development in a few weeks. They continued to offer me false reassurances every month when that was going to take place. After several months of them continuing to move the goalpost and eventually extinguishing any light at the end of the tunnel, I was at the end of my rope. I told my manager that this situation was unacceptable and he agreed and said he would speak with his senior and start me on some development work at the beginning of the following week. Instead, a few days later they terminated my contract overnight, giving me no notice, explanation, nor even allowing me to come in and bid farewell to the people I worked with there or collect my personal belongings (a third party had to do it). It was the most unprofessional act I've witnessed in my 8 year career. I never saw a single line of C++ code the entire duration that I was employed there, despite having "C++" in my job title.

Despite how miserable I was there, I feel like I would have had the opposite experience had I been granted the opportunity to do the type of work that I was hired to do and that I was led to believe that I would do. Other engineers hired after I started got to perform their rolls immediately. I just came along at a "good time" according to management, and they forced me into a position that I did not fit in. The majority of the other employees there seemed very content with their jobs, so overall I'd still recommend this company.

Treat your employees as people, not just resources. Think ahead and be proactive to the company's needs rather than reactive and scrambling to put out fires all the time that are easily preventable. And most of all, minimize the amount of suffering the engineers have to endure because of your mistakes and lack of foresight.

Let people do the job you hired them to do, instead of forcing them into a roll that they don't fit into just because it's convenient for you. That will only hurt them, you, and the company in the long run.

Great experience all around.

I worked at Crossroads Systems

Pros

I contracted with them to implement a one-off technology project that was outside of their area of expertise, so I went in knowing that the job would eventually end. Because of that I can't speak about long term employment, but in the 7 months I worked there I was treated better than at any other job I've had. Management was organized and communicated very well My direct manager was open to my input during every phase of the project. The vibe there is relaxed and low key.

Cons

The only complaint is that there wasn't a full time position in my field available and I ended up having to move on.

As with the other companies I've worked with, senior management feedback wasn't provided until close to the end of the project. Agile development processes recommend early feedback and in this situation it would have helped us avoid a lot of problems encountered later. I would have preferred to meet with the final decision makers earlier in the process. However, once received, the feedback was very insightful.

Trying to "boil the ocean" - company lacks focus & sales team lacks strategic leader

I have been working at Crossroads Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Flexible schedule
    - Autonomous work environment
    - Smart people developing products
    - People at HQ are nice to work with

Cons

Company has been an OEM too long - does not know how to sell direct or through partners. Would not recommend being a sales person here. There is very little direction and almost no strategy. Unrealistic quotas are set with little to no support from HQ. I honestly do not know how they are still in business...

Find a new head of sales or help this person come up with a focused strategy. Actually research a market before going 100 mph into it - it's wasting valuable time to have us talk to customers that the product can't even support