Crossroads Trading

Updated Jun 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ben B. Trawick

Great place to learn more about fashion

Buyer (Current Employee)

ProsCrossroads Trading Co. has a great concept and is an up and coming company!

ConsVacation time isn't granted for the first six months of working which really puts a bind if you like to travel or are a student needing to go home for breaks. Low pay, and long hard hours make it tough on your body and mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe stores look uncomfortable and unwelcoming. The atmosphere is a little pretentious and makes people who don't know a lot about fashion uncomfortable!

Great clothes, not so great work/life balance

ProsGet first dibs on great clothes at a discount, small company so you're able to know all personnel at corporate as well as upper management, and getting to meet some great coworkers that share similar interests.

ConsThey will work you ragged and to the bone. I was almost told "no" when I called out to take a personal day because of "short staffing for the day." There were times when I was called on my day off to check in on the store and handle problems. I had very little motivation and support from upper management on my path of growth and it was difficult to stay positive when I was constantly being nit-picked by my store manager for things that were frivolous when there were real problems that needed taking care of. In my two years with the company I was given very minimal raises because "the store isn't doing very well right now, if there is more volume and budget in the future we could offer more (than a .20cent raise).

Advice to Senior ManagementRegional management should check in with associates, rather than just store managers, to see how the whole team is feeling about problems and try to resolve them.

It was challenging but rewarding experience. Room for growth and constantly being challenged.

Senior Buyer (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsYou get the first dibs on all the amazing merchandise that comes into the store at amazing prices.

ConsBuying from the crazy people, and non-Crossroads customer could be very challenging. Not to mention having to keep up the customer service while people get disgruntled that you aren't buying their dirty, outdated clothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish my manager had been more proactive in promoting customer service and growth. I felt I had to be a total self-starter.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The people you work with are great but...

Cashier (Former Employee)

ProsSome of the usual customers are great and the people you work with are the reasons why this job is ok.

ConsUltimately it's a retail job. The pay is minimum wage and you're expected to do tasks that aren't in your job description.
    Managers don't really listen to your availability and you have to constantly remind them when you have approved days off. If they schedule you on a day that you were approved off, they expect you to find someone to come in and cover your shift.

Great place to start!

Floor Staff (Current Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

ProsEveryone functions as a family here, which makes for a casual atmosphere and a friendly "help me and I'll help you" dynamic. The longer I've worked there, the easier it's gotten to tag team with my coworkers. Scheduling is fairly flexible and switching shifts is easy.

ConsI am given new responsibilities daily since we cannot keep staff longer than a few months. It is genuinely impossible for me to keep up with all the things I am required to do, which is frustrating. Sometimes I am treated like management when I'm paid much less which I find a bit unprofessional and very tiresome. Call outs are frequent and catastrophic.

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand that turnover will be high when you hire a young workforce. Rather than relying entirely on a core three or four employees, MAKE the time to train new hires fully. It is not officially my job to train new hires, yet I've been asked to do it for the last three people we've gained.

Fun job, good perks, strict management

Buyer (Former Employee)

ProsThe clothes are already far below retail and you get a good discount on top of that. Being able to buy clothes for the store is a great and fun experience.

ConsManagement is strict and are constantly hovering over you. Low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees more, and don't micro manage everything.

Fast paced retail environment depending on the location and above average wage, but not much room for growth.

Sales Associate/Buyer (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGood discount. Good pay. Great staff.

The discount is about 25% and added with the prices it goes a long way. The wages are above minimum, which is a great thing to find. The staff is small and very much like a group of friends. It makes coming to work so much easier.

ConsNot much room for growth. There is a lot of favoritism in terms of being promoted. The company will hire from outside for new management. You may end up doing the same task for a while. Depending on the location it may take a while for them to train you on everything, and you may still end up doing the same task almost everyday.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lot of favoritism when it comes to promoting employees. There is zero communication between management and employees on who even wants to be promoted. This leads to unhappy employees and a high staff turnover, because no one wants to work where there's no room to move up.

Exciting, fast-paced and high volume. Amazing merchandise at unreal prices, even better with 30% discount!

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat coworkers, ability to cultivate the perfect wardrobe at an unbeatable price. With the right amount of drive you can move yourself up in the company.

ConsLow pay, long hours that take up most of your day, you must work weekends and overall have a flexible schedule and attitude. Not for the faint of heart.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to your part time staff. And pay more!

Over all great experience!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat discounts and great clothing!

Cons-Very low salary
    -Management doesn't seem to care about their employees, just themselves.
    -It is insanely difficult to grow in this company unless you are willing to kiss some ass! Even then the management has probably already made their mind up about you
    -It does not matter if you are one of the top employees, they will find a way to write you up for no reason even months after it had been done. Or they will just not even write you up and just fire you
    -Multiple people were fired in the time that I was there and we were mostly understaffed the entire time

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees. Help us by hiring more employees! When we are understaffed, we do not get the job done as perfectly as you expect it to be.

Understaffed, undertrained, over worked

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAccess to awesome contemporary designer merchandise at great prices.

ConsI was brought in as a store manager.. I was given an 8 week training outline for my first 8 weeks, however 2 weeks after i began, my DM (and trainer) took off to open a new store and left me under trained in an understaffed store to figure it out. I was trying really hard to rehire an old employee, who had open availability and would have really helped us out, however she took 2 weeks to make this decision. She told me that for lack of a better word he was "flamboyant" and had dress code issues.. super professional! (Not!) They also sent a buyer trainer from california to help train me and while she was there, instead of shadowing me at the buy counter, she was changing mannequins, cleaning my pos area, and telling me how to run all other areas of my store. I could tell Crossroads is trying, but my DM just had really high expectations, and didn't train me sufficiently, then when i made small mistakes, she instantly went to the worst case scenario on me. I was very micromanaged, and when I tried to make decisions in the moment, was later reprimanded because she didn't like my decisions (mostly that I didn't need my hand held through each and every one), even though I was working on my days and flexing my schedule to make sure the store was covered and that even though we were understaffed, i was trying to help my team wherever I could. I was eventually made to help train my new assistant, then let go when she was sufficiently train because i wasn't the right fit for them. No one ever asked my side of the story in the end, and they were never transparent with me when I had done something wrong.. They simply added it to the list of reasons why I was not right for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementHIRE MORE PEOPLE AND DON'T BE SO CHEAP! Ask both sides of the story (this is to the regional manager/VP), and don't just believe your DM's.. There are more problems in the field than you realize, and you are losing good people because of it. I did NOT have a good work, life balance while working for CTC.

Worked for Crossroads Trading? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Crossroads Trading reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Crossroads Trading CEO Ben B. Trawick. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by Crossroads Trading employees.