Crossroads Trading

great company

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Buyer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Buyer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Crossroads Trading part-time for less than a year

Pros

great people, deals, and experience gained.

Cons

my particular store was too busy and we never seemed to have enough help.

each store is different

Awesome benefits, but ultimately not worth it

I worked at Crossroads Trading part-time for less than a year

Pros

I only loved my job for the benefits, I would buy clothes every week with a great discount. Management at my store was good with accepting time off and accommodating school and other work schedules. This was a second job for me and only worked 6 months for Crossroads. They offer really great benefits for those who need it (full time employees). Training is very thorough.

Cons

Pay is not worth the job and every year you're up for a promotion or raise. I feel that a year is way too long for those, especially if it was your only job. I have had more experience in the restaurant industry and my 6 months here I realized people can get away with being rude or off-putting to customers. I did not like this at all. The 25 year old assistant manager was almost never nice, even to employees unless you have known her for a long time or spent time with her outside work. I never felt like I belonged while working here. As much as I love clothes and fashion, I always dreaded going to work.

Teach employees to treat customers and coworkers how they would like to be treated in return. It really does go a long way, especially in feedback forums like yelp or google, where customers tend to decide to spend their money based on the reviews.

It's a fast paced atmosphere with friendly coworkers and amazingly priced merchandise.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Crossroads Trading part-time

Pros

The experience you gain at this company even as a sales associate is great, and training is extremely thorough. The environmentally friendly concept is really smart, and encourages customers to come into the store daily. Don't be afraid to ask questions, managers are super helpful with any concerns and stick to the idea that no question is a stupid question. If you are passionate about the company, it is totally doable to move up in your position.

Cons

You must be able to work weekends, shifts vary and pay is low.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not Impressed

I worked at Crossroads Trading full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Learning about fashion, trends and obtaining general retail experience were really the only positive factors at this job.

Cons

As a former full-time employee who worked at both Hollywood, Pasadena and Silverlake locations, I can only speak from my experience at these stores.

1) Breaks are few and far between, there have been one to many instances where I, along with other employee's, were neglected our breaks. This is unacceptable, and not to mention against the law.

2)Scheduling is by far the worst aspect of this company. Although managers usually create the schedule 1 week in advance, it is by no means set in stone. Rather, managers often change shifts at a whim without consulting you first. From my experience, filling out an availability form will not help. For those of you in school, be prepared to deal with overlapping schedules and constantly fighting for your specified days off. In general, be prepared to have your shifts changed without notice, and mostly on your days off- and then subsequently given a verbal/written warning about YOUR lack of attention to the ever changing schedule. Also, as a Crossroads employee you are assigned to work at any LOCATION without your consent or notice.

3) Customers at these locations can be abusive/rude/generally sadistic. While this is something the store cannot control, they can however, appropriately support their staff when dealing with these types of customers. This company takes the age-old stance of " The customer is always right" even when they're not, even when their sadistic, even when they bend the truth to get the best deal.

4) Tag Guns, are unsafe. Period. Not all the stores still carry/use the traditional tag guns but in my experience, tag guns were the main way of attaching clothing tags. While we all were assigned our "own" tag gun ( for safety purposes) you would share your tag gun on a daily basis. And while you were supposed to change out the needle every time, this would hardly happen, resulting in multiple employee's being pricked by the SAME needle. This needs to change.

5) Upper management is mostly unresponsive to staff needs, and only focuses on increasing revenue. Have a complaint about ANYTHING? Expect to hear " If your not happy here, there are other options- you can quit" Not surprising, Crossroads has a high turn over rate- even with managers.

1) VALUE your employee's and their rights. Breaks, lunches, time off policies, and schedule's need to be consistent and not " subject to change by employer". This is unethical, and a serious downfall of this company.

2) DITCH the tag guns, period. Find a new method for tagging clothing that doesn't draw blood.

3) Take complaints SERIOUSLY, keeping your employee's happy will result in a well-rounded company, and success is sure to follow.

4) Maybe think of a new District Manager

Overworked

Former Employee - Senior Buyer  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Crossroads Trading full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to gain buying, retail, managing, customer service, and visual merchandising experience especially if you are going to school for fashion or live the fashion industry. The company has great buyer trainings that have you "shop the competition" in order to gain more label knowledge and stay current with trends.

Cons

Very low pay, usually understaffed, does not have holiday hours, and physical long days.

Great clothes, not so great work/life balance

I have been working at Crossroads Trading

Pros

Get first dibs on great clothes at a discount, small company so you're able to know all personnel at corporate as well as upper management, and getting to meet some great coworkers that share similar interests.

Cons

They will work you ragged and to the bone. I was almost told "no" when I called out to take a personal day because of "short staffing for the day." There were times when I was called on my day off to check in on the store and handle problems. I had very little motivation and support from upper management on my path of growth and it was difficult to stay positive when I was constantly being nit-picked by my store manager for things that were frivolous when there were real problems that needed taking care of. In my two years with the company I was given very minimal raises because "the store isn't doing very well right now, if there is more volume and budget in the future we could offer more (than a .20cent raise).

Regional management should check in with associates, rather than just store managers, to see how the whole team is feeling about problems and try to resolve them.

Great place to learn more about fashion

Current Employee - Buyer
    Current Employee - Buyer

I have been working at Crossroads Trading part-time for less than a year

Pros

Crossroads Trading Co. has a great concept and is an up and coming company!

Cons

Vacation time isn't granted for the first six months of working which really puts a bind if you like to travel or are a student needing to go home for breaks. Low pay, and long hard hours make it tough on your body and mind.

The stores look uncomfortable and unwelcoming. The atmosphere is a little pretentious and makes people who don't know a lot about fashion uncomfortable!

It was challenging but rewarding experience. Room for growth and constantly being challenged.

Former Employee - Senior Buyer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Buyer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Crossroads Trading part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get the first dibs on all the amazing merchandise that comes into the store at amazing prices.

Cons

Buying from the crazy people, and non-Crossroads customer could be very challenging. Not to mention having to keep up the customer service while people get disgruntled that you aren't buying their dirty, outdated clothing.

I wish my manager had been more proactive in promoting customer service and growth. I felt I had to be a total self-starter.

The people you work with are great but...

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Crossroads Trading part-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the usual customers are great and the people you work with are the reasons why this job is ok.

Cons

Ultimately it's a retail job. The pay is minimum wage and you're expected to do tasks that aren't in your job description.
    Managers don't really listen to your availability and you have to constantly remind them when you have approved days off. If they schedule you on a day that you were approved off, they expect you to find someone to come in and cover your shift.

Great place to start!

Current Employee - Floor Staff  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Floor Staff in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Crossroads Trading full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone functions as a family here, which makes for a casual atmosphere and a friendly "help me and I'll help you" dynamic. The longer I've worked there, the easier it's gotten to tag team with my coworkers. Scheduling is fairly flexible and switching shifts is easy.

Cons

I am given new responsibilities daily since we cannot keep staff longer than a few months. It is genuinely impossible for me to keep up with all the things I am required to do, which is frustrating. Sometimes I am treated like management when I'm paid much less which I find a bit unprofessional and very tiresome. Call outs are frequent and catastrophic.

I understand that turnover will be high when you hire a young workforce. Rather than relying entirely on a core three or four employees, MAKE the time to train new hires fully. It is not officially my job to train new hires, yet I've been asked to do it for the last three people we've gained.

Worked for Crossroads Trading? Contribute to the Community!