Crosstown Traders

Chicken with Head Cut Off

Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Crosstown Traders

Pros

Fashion-related job, decent parking, print media, smart co-workers, located close to central Tucson, easy to shop or go to lunch on your lunch break

Cons

Cliquish, time warp back to the 1980s, useless meetings the likes of which I have never seen, located in bad part of town, everyone played The Blame Game, low wages, a lot of drama vampires/too gossipy, too much to do, too little time to do it in, lack of communication and no rules, esp. as demonstrated by senior leadership

They were bright, talented individuals with some serious bias issues, they liked who they liked and didn't who they didn't. Take a guess which one I was. During the bible, pre-bible, etc. process, while manuscript was making its rounds, it seemed like everyone had to have his or her say to change it - if you say the sky is blue, they'll make you change it to sky blue; if you say the sky is sky blue, they'll make you change it to azure blue - just unnecessary changes that wasted time and put more pressure on those who did it right in the first place to now redo it, only to be scrutinized again. Oh and enough meetings folks! How will anyone get anything done if we're at a meeting. I swear, the daily copy meetings were the worst. Just as soon as you started your day and were in a groove, 9am would hit, and time for a useless copy meeting where you hear about everyone else's book like you give a flying fig. And last but not least, this is 2010 (at the time 2008), could we maybe throw away the CRT monitors that took up 2 football fields on our desk, I swear I wouldn't be surprised if I saw a smokeless ash tray in that place, it was so out of date. It was my fave job, but man, let me tell you, senior management, we know you have favorites, I wasn't one of them obviously, but try to be a little more professional.

Its a job like all Tucson jobs, you have to have low expectations.

Former Employee - Control Buyer in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Control Buyer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Crosstown Traders

Pros

Depending on your dept. there is flexibility if personal problems or health issues come about. The best reason to work there are the people. The people are quite friendly, especially the older folks, alot of people have worked there many years. Parking is great, plenty of that, and close to the buildings.

Cons

The pay is low, but in Tucson, all jobs have low pay. Crosstown has been bought and sold many times over the years, the stability factor is not good. Management is not so hot. Communication is poor from upper management and also middle management, top heavy with a lot of managers. No raises for a couple years due to lagging business.

It would help if Crosstown would stay under the same ownership for more then a few years. It would also help is employees had more empowerment over their jobs and not so many management layers. All levels of management need to back off the employees and let them do their jobs. This is because a great many of the employees have more experience then the management.