Crowe Horwath Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated June 24, 2014

3.5

Crowe Horwath CEO Chuck Allen
Chuck Allen

Pros
  • A good work life balance is generally attainable (in 13 reviews)

• Great people, amazing clients, and the ability to apply your college education (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not as flexible as marketed (in 28 reviews)

• Horrible work/life balance under the Crowe Horwath senior management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Crowe has cultivated a great company culture.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is general approachability at every level. Crowe gives back to the community. Really has a team atmosphere where each individual has an opportunity to be successful and be rewarded for as much effort as they want to put in.

Cons

Could be more supportive of remote working opportunties to further promote a culture of work/life balance consistently throughout the firm. Some business units are more supportive of working from home than others.

Top performers should be paid significantly more via salary and/or bonus than the average. Paying your top performers only slightly more doesn't offer much incentive to work harder and/or stay with the firm. Offer remote working opportunities consistently throughout the firm. If the firm as a whole support it, the job allows for it and the individual has proven they can be trusted, it should be an option.

Great people, lacking in professional development.

Current Employee - Performance Government Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Performance Government Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful people to work with, great environment.

Cons

Placement in the organization is key to professional development. Most partners and senior managers are focused on their own career goals and don't take time to develop lower staff. There are some wonderful partners that work with staff on career goals and development, but if you don't get one of those, stay a couple years and move on.

Talk regularly with your staff/senior staff about career topics. Not just once a year for annual reviews.

Wonderful Experience

Current Employee - Audit Staff  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Audit Staff in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people, interesting clients (not-for-profit and higher ed only)

Cons

Can be stressful at times

Keep up the good work

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pays well and great communication overall within the Firm.

Current Employee - Tax Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Cutting edge use of technology

Cons

Demanding and fast paced all the time

Great place to work as an intern

Former Employee - Audit Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Crowe Horwath as an intern for less than a year

Pros

On my second day as an intern, I already had several dates set up to travel to clients. I was impressed! They talked on day one about not being a "glorified stapler" as an intern, but they really kept their promise. I gained a lot of valuable experience and got a good feel for what everyday life would be like full-time.

Cons

Not a big 4 firm, so not many locations throughout the country.

Big 4 mentality without the rewards

Former Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Crowe Horwath full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good compensation and benefits comparable to Big 4. Good learning ground for young staff who want to get their experience and move on.

Cons

Very insular and cut-throat environment. Can be hostile at times. Gives lip service to work-life balance. They work their staff to the bone. Vault survey dealing with employee satisfaction gave it a score of 2 out of 10 which placed them #31 out of 50 large firms. Internal survey showed 50%of employees lose sleep over work, compared to 25% over family and 15% over money. Very stressful environment! Managers and above are expected to sell and are held to unreasonable sales goals. Not meeting these goals is a certain death sentence even if you have good performance reviews. Intangibles such as talking the Crowe talk and selling its "values" is what gets you by at the expense of technical ability and client service. Bringing in new clients is rewarded at the expense of retaining existing clients.
    Crowe also gives lip service to cultural diversity. Very conservative Midwestern firm that on the surface promotes diversity by way of different support groups. However, most of the non-minority partners poo-poo the idea of going to a Diversity Day training. There are very few minorities, except for women, in high-level positions. If your sexual preference is different from theirs, you will feel like an outcast and even the support groups could not save your job.

Take a closer look at how your partners and managers are treating their people. People trained to be accounting professionals should not be forced to sell if they feel uncomfortable doing it. There should be greater value placed on technical ability and client service.

Overall, a good place to work for a developer

Current Employee - Software Developer/Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Developer/Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of autonomy. I never have to go into the office. 4 weeks of PTO. I really enjoy the work I am doing. I was a little concerned that there wouldn't be much development work with a consulting company, but I spend the vast majority of my day writing code.

Cons

Compensation is a little under market average. This may be a critique of developing software at a consulting company as a whole, but I feel a little disconnected from the larger tech community.

One of best CPA firm out there. Look out big four!!

Former Employee - Senior Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Crowe Horwath full-time

Pros

Having a CEO with the vision ours does, motivates the entire organization to operate as the best in class firm they are, aiming to become the #5 CPA firm in the world. You will not find many officers with the enthusiasm and drive this group does.

Cons

To be honest... I've been with just about all the large firms. Crowe just doesn't have any cons.

Find the best Branding professional possible.

During my internship experience at Crowe, I worked with a variety of Crowe employees and clients.

Former Employee - Audit Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Audit Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Crowe Horwath as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Each week I worked with a different team and on a different client. My team was committed to helping me to learn by answering my questions and challenging me to think outside the box.

Cons

Each intern was randomly placed in his or her designated department. The interns' interests or preferences were never taken into consideration.

A lack of communication seems to exist between management and the human resource department.

Disappointing

Current Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Crowe Horwath

Pros

Access to clients with brand recognition.
    Access to knowledgeable personnel to assist with challenges.
    The opportunity to be industry leaders in various segments.

Cons

Work life balance does not exist.
    Pay does not relate to performance.
    Contradictory communications flow down from the top.

We have 250 partners going 200 different directions and not recognizing the hard work of the employees supporting the effort. Start working together are recognizing the efforts and sacrifices of the people making the machine move forward.

Worked for Crowe Horwath? Contribute to the Community!