Crowe Horwath

Crowe Horwath Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Crowe Horwath CEO Chuck Allen

Chuck Allen

Pros
  • A good work life balance is generally attainable(in 13 reviews)

• Great people, amazing clients, and the ability to apply your college education(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not as flexible as marketed(in 28 reviews)

• Horrible work/life balance under the Crowe Horwath senior management(in 11 reviews)

45 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Strong Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsGreat atmosphere. Excellent Benefits and compensation. Strong Company.

ConsInterviews and follow up can take well over 4 months

Advice to Senior ManagementGenerate a more efficient and streamlined hiring process.

Great people, lacking in professional development.

Performance Government Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWonderful people to work with, great environment.

ConsPlacement in the organization is key to professional development. Most partners and senior managers are focused on their own career goals and don't take time to develop lower staff. There are some wonderful partners that work with staff on career goals and development, but if you don't get one of those, stay a couple years and move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk regularly with your staff/senior staff about career topics. Not just once a year for annual reviews.

Crowe has cultivated a great company culture.

Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere is general approachability at every level. Crowe gives back to the community. Really has a team atmosphere where each individual has an opportunity to be successful and be rewarded for as much effort as they want to put in.

ConsCould be more supportive of remote working opportunties to further promote a culture of work/life balance consistently throughout the firm. Some business units are more supportive of working from home than others.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop performers should be paid significantly more via salary and/or bonus than the average. Paying your top performers only slightly more doesn't offer much incentive to work harder and/or stay with the firm. Offer remote working opportunities consistently throughout the firm. If the firm as a whole support it, the job allows for it and the individual has proven they can be trusted, it should be an option.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decline in focus on the people

People Services (Former Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsThere are some truly amazing contributors and leaders at Crowe, in all locations. If you are looking for an environment where you can learn and grow your skills, this is a solid one.

ConsThe focus has shifted over the years to be much more bottom line oriented and less on the individuals. The mentality seemed to become a 'we can recruit more' instead of 'retain the strong talent we have', which is saddening considering the focus that once existed on the team.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour people are your strongest asset, especially in a consulting organization where knowledge is your service.

Big 4 Copycat

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsIt's easy to shine since most of the good talent are gone - either fed up or driven out by the mediocre and highly-insecure management.

ConsThe firm has an identity crisis. It brands itself as the "unique alternative to the Big 4" but in reality, it is nothing but a second-rate trying-hard Big 4 copycat. It's sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a partner cleanup and get rid of the partners who compensate for their incompetence through unethical business practices ("buying" of clients, that management turns a blind eye on), and the promotion of mediocre but suck-up personnel (Crowebots). Practice the core values that you supposedly espouse - stop preaching and lead by example.

Wonderful Experience

Audit Staff (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood people, interesting clients (not-for-profit and higher ed only)

ConsCan be stressful at times

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Great environment to learn and grow as a consultant.

Risk Process (Former Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsAccess to Partners and other senior level managers is high thus enabling great coaching and training.

Environment is such that you will be provided more responsibility and accountability as you seek it out. Personal growth is unlimited - - environment is outstanding for you to get as much out as you desire.

Culture is a huge plus - - core values of care, share, invest and grow and not just taglines, but are lived by the Partner leaders.

ConsAs in any consulting environment, commitment to the firm, client and team is needed to succeed. Need to be ready to commit to the organization.

Pays well and great communication overall within the Firm.

Tax Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCutting edge use of technology

ConsDemanding and fast paced all the time

Good Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsPeople are great, smaller company so you're able to get a lot more viability, employees have been around for a long time which definitely says a lot about a company.

Consinternal systems, to many people involved in all different processes which make it hard to really "own" something

Advice to Senior Managementspend more money on internal processes, technology, and systems. when people are frustrated by the process, they're frustrated about everything work related.

Great place to work as an intern

Audit Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOn my second day as an intern, I already had several dates set up to travel to clients. I was impressed! They talked on day one about not being a "glorified stapler" as an intern, but they really kept their promise. I gained a lot of valuable experience and got a good feel for what everyday life would be like full-time.

ConsNot a big 4 firm, so not many locations throughout the country.

Worked for Crowe Horwath? Contribute to the Community!