Crowe Horwath

Crowe Horwath Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Crowe Horwath CEO Chuck Allen

Chuck Allen

Pros
  • A good work life balance is generally attainable(in 13 reviews)

• Great people, amazing clients, and the ability to apply your college education(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not as flexible as marketed(in 28 reviews)

• Horrible work/life balance under the Crowe Horwath senior management(in 11 reviews)

Crowe has cultivated a great company culture.

Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere is general approachability at every level. Crowe gives back to the community. Really has a team atmosphere where each individual has an opportunity to be successful and be rewarded for as much effort as they want to put in.

ConsCould be more supportive of remote working opportunties to further promote a culture of work/life balance consistently throughout the firm. Some business units are more supportive of working from home than others.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop performers should be paid significantly more via salary and/or bonus than the average. Paying your top performers only slightly more doesn't offer much incentive to work harder and/or stay with the firm. Offer remote working opportunities consistently throughout the firm. If the firm as a whole support it, the job allows for it and the individual has proven they can be trusted, it should be an option.

Good company, solid people and life work balance.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany is full of smart people. Generally speaking all of the employees (including partners) are approachable and will spend time with other employees. A good work life balance is generally attainable.

ConsSome groups do not offer as much promotion or upward mobility as others. Company has the accounting firm approach to promotions which is good in most, but not all, cases.

Decline in focus on the people

People Services (Former Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsThere are some truly amazing contributors and leaders at Crowe, in all locations. If you are looking for an environment where you can learn and grow your skills, this is a solid one.

ConsThe focus has shifted over the years to be much more bottom line oriented and less on the individuals. The mentality seemed to become a 'we can recruit more' instead of 'retain the strong talent we have', which is saddening considering the focus that once existed on the team.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour people are your strongest asset, especially in a consulting organization where knowledge is your service.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Big 4 Copycat

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Oak Brook, IL

ProsIt's easy to shine since most of the good talent are gone - either fed up or driven out by the mediocre and highly-insecure management.

ConsThe firm has an identity crisis. It brands itself as the "unique alternative to the Big 4" but in reality, it is nothing but a second-rate trying-hard Big 4 copycat. It's sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a partner cleanup and get rid of the partners who compensate for their incompetence through unethical business practices ("buying" of clients, that management turns a blind eye on), and the promotion of mediocre but suck-up personnel (Crowebots). Practice the core values that you supposedly espouse - stop preaching and lead by example.

A national firm struggling to move west.

Tax Staff (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsGroups available to meet others around the country. Opportunities to work on various types of engagements.

ConsSacramento office is a new Crowe office. The transition was rough and the existing partners weren't supportive.

Advice to Senior ManagementPartners need to be more involved and positive about the development of their staff.

Wonderful Experience

Audit Staff (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood people, interesting clients (not-for-profit and higher ed only)

ConsCan be stressful at times

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Great Expierience

ProsAmazing learning environment, Great personal growth, great client interaction

ConsNone that I can think of

Difficult

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPTO time was very generous.

ConsLeadership was slow to make decisions, staffing was extremely lean.

Advice to Senior ManagementResources are needed to maintain status quo let alone grow as a company.

good experience but work load is high with low pay

Prosgreat exposure AND new aREAS TO EXPLORE

ConsINFLEXIBLE TMING AND WORK PRESSURE

I learned a lot.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery smart co-workers. Opportunity to work on many different clients and industries. Management genuinely interested in how you are doing. Pick-up basketball games after work.

ConsI worked in the smallest firm office in smallest town with little night life. Expectation to work many hours during the busy season.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease compensation at lower levels.

Worked for Crowe Horwath? Contribute to the Community!