Crowe Horwath

Crowe Horwath Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Crowe Horwath CEO Chuck Allen

Chuck Allen

Pros:
  • "A good work life balance is generally attainable"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Great people, amazing clients, and the ability to apply your college education"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is not as flexible as marketed"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Horrible work/life balance under the Crowe Horwath senior management"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

15 year veteran Crowe gets laid off. When asked if they know what I did, the answer was no.

Audit Associate (Former Employee)
    South Bend, IN

ProsEverlasting friends have been made.

ConsIf you worked with CIO at previous place of employment your in or if your heterosexual Crowe IT is not the place for you unless you suck up. Once you hit age 40 your years at Crowe look for another job. Discriminate against older workers. They lay off people without knowing what they did. Crowe is being sued by FDIC for Colonial Bank failure. Also had lowest rating of any firm for PCAOB reviews. Google it to find out.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen a sports team does bad continuously they fire the coach or management. Look at reviews for employees with tenure, 90% bad reviews. I don't see them making it to 2015.

Trying to compete with the Big Four, Not anymore

Senior Tax Staff (Former Employee)
    Oak Brook, IL

ProsLearn everyday, compensation, variety of work

ConsUnrealistic budgets, no work/life balance, managers understaffed

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people especially managers

Progressive Company

Senior Staff (Former Employee)
    Grand Rapids, MI

ProsI made some good relationships and learned a lot as well while I worked for Crowe. From my experience, there are some good leaders and partners in the Reg Compliance BU. I would certainly recommend Crowe to any of my friends.

ConsThe biggest downside isn't necessarily because of Crowe, but rather consulting in general. There is a lot of traveling involved and that is not necessarily for everyone.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lost Focus on the Employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsCrowe attracts great people to work there, so your colleagues are talented, energetic, and dedicated upon hire making it an exciting place to work until the effect of the kool-aid you were given in orientation wears off.

ConsThe focus is so bottom line driven in the past few years that the people are again a widget of sorts lacking anything that makes them special to management. Scheduling is like herding cattle and the first 4 people available go despite career choices, travel, or personal impact. If there wasn't so much emphasis given during recruiting and hiring at all levels about the value each person, as an individual makes, this might be status quo...but instead it winds up resembling an infommercial once you have the sub-par product in hand.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember what made Crowe the actual "Unique Alternative to the Big Four" - it included a large chunk leadership investing and caring in the people employeed, who then did the same for their clients.

The decline from being awesomely different has been sad.

Big 4 mentality without the rewards

Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGood compensation and benefits comparable to Big 4. Good learning ground for young staff who want to get their experience and move on.

ConsVery insular and cut-throat environment. Can be hostile at times. Gives lip service to work-life balance. They work their staff to the bone. Vault survey dealing with employee satisfaction gave it a score of 2 out of 10 which placed them #31 out of 50 large firms. Internal survey showed 50%of employees lose sleep over work, compared to 25% over family and 15% over money. Very stressful environment! Managers and above are expected to sell and are held to unreasonable sales goals. Not meeting these goals is a certain death sentence even if you have good performance reviews. Intangibles such as talking the Crowe talk and selling its "values" is what gets you by at the expense of technical ability and client service. Bringing in new clients is rewarded at the expense of retaining existing clients.
    Crowe also gives lip service to cultural diversity. Very conservative Midwestern firm that on the surface promotes diversity by way of different support groups. However, most of the non-minority partners poo-poo the idea of going to a Diversity Day training. There are very few minorities, except for women, in high-level positions. If your sexual preference is different from theirs, you will feel like an outcast and even the support groups could not save your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look at how your partners and managers are treating their people. People trained to be accounting professionals should not be forced to sell if they feel uncomfortable doing it. There should be greater value placed on technical ability and client service.

Job review for auditor position

ProsGreat people, amazing clients, and the ability to apply your college education.

ConsThere are no cons at this company

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways remember that the way upper management acts resonates through the rest of the company, from the top down.

One of best CPA firm out there. Look out big four!!

Senior Associate (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsHaving a CEO with the vision ours does, motivates the entire organization to operate as the best in class firm they are, aiming to become the #5 CPA firm in the world. You will not find many officers with the enthusiasm and drive this group does.

ConsTo be honest... I've been with just about all the large firms. Crowe just doesn't have any cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind the best Branding professional possible.

Overall, a good place to work for a developer

Software Developer/Consultant (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsA lot of autonomy. I never have to go into the office. 4 weeks of PTO. I really enjoy the work I am doing. I was a little concerned that there wouldn't be much development work with a consulting company, but I spend the vast majority of my day writing code.

ConsCompensation is a little under market average. This may be a critique of developing software at a consulting company as a whole, but I feel a little disconnected from the larger tech community.

Challenging technical work, but demanding work/life balance

Manager - IT Services (Current Employee)

ProsEasily accessible partners
    New work/challenges with every client
    Good/hard work = recognition with Sr. Leadership
    Quarterly travel bonus

ConsGo-live always trumps holiday
    College-hire training is non-existent
    Client demand drives timeline regardless of feasibility or availability
    Sales team is not connected to delivery, resulting is over-promising

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let clients burn through YOUR people. Find meaningful work for new hires to do establish a true mentoring program to bring newbies up to speed. Don't make overworked individuals take time to tell you they are overworked.

Great experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsClients, work experience, flexibility, benefits

ConsCo indicated it would invest in enhancing its training program

Worked for Crowe Horwath? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Crowe Horwath reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Crowe Horwath CEO Chuck Allen. All 194 reviews posted anonymously by Crowe Horwath employees.