Crowe Horwath

Updated November 10, 2014
3.5

Crowe Horwath CEO Chuck Allen
Chuck Allen

Pros
  • A good work life balance is generally attainable (in 15 reviews)

• Great people who live by the firm's values and truly care about colleagues and clients (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • However, I think the work-life balance is probably better than it would be somewhere else where the pay would be better (in 33 reviews)

• Horrible work/life balance under the Crowe Horwath senior management (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Internship

I have been working at Crowe Horwath

Pros

Taught you everything that you needed to know before they put you on a project. Great group of people to work with.

Cons

I didn't experience anything bad about this company.

Proud to be a Crowe team member

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people who live by the firm's values and truly care about colleagues and clients. Everyone seems to go out of their way to help one another to meet deadlines and collaborate on projects. Leaders are involved in both work projects and the fun office activities which make it truly a team atmosphere from hire to retire.

Cons

Even though there are flexible arrangements to promote work-life balance, there is still a workaholic atmosphere where people still feel like they can't take much time away. At not without their laptop or phone along.

Ask your people what you can do to help them feel like they are getting the breaks they need to come in to work refreshed and energized.

Software Engineer II

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Professional environment that encourages employees to advance in the company and improve their career. Supportive environment and the workforce is generally competitive

Cons

Even though leadership has employee work-life balance as a priority, the overall culture is professional and competitive which might not be a great fit for someone who's too laid back and only cares about making a living

Management is always looking for ways to change it to the better and have multiple measures to gauge employees' level of engagement. Keep doing that.

Associate

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Crowe Horwath full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary is higher than average for associates in public accounting for the first two years.

Cons

Management is really, really, really bad. Both the partners and managers play favorites, lots of office politics, and they do not treat their employees well for being a regional public accounting firm. They should treat their employees extra well because their is a high risk staff will leave and go to Big 4.

My advice to college students thinking about Crowe: DO NOT SIGN HERE. If you are in the NYC office, you will have to inevitably move to Big 4 sooner or later (the entire office just did it after this busy season). It is very difficult to find strong opportunities from working with Crowe, they are not well known, they do not have prestigious clientele, and the partners are not at the same level as Big 4 partners. Get in with a Big 4 firm, take a bit of a pay cut your first few years, but it will pay dividends in the long term. This is not a good environment to learn or grow as a professional.

I don't think partners/management would listen anyways, but I would recommend taking some time to align your strategy and voice that to your employees. Also, take a look at your managers and only hire/promote those that actually know how to teach the staff and know how to audit, rather than just tell them to look at prior year work papers, where the work was done incorrectly.

If you cant get into the Big 4

Former Employee - Director in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Director in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Crowe Horwath full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It pays the bills though the salary is not competitive with the Big 4. Light work load. Not very demanding. Easy to look good if "you have brains in your head and shoes on your feet". You can take your vacation almost without question. Staying past 5 is an exception. Use a couple years of audit experience to prep for the CPA and move on.

Cons

Study the history. Its Crowe Chizek, a small city, office centric, passive aggressive culture that began in South Bend not London. The second office was where??? As far from a meritocracy as you can get. You will serve time in grade. An aggressive personality does not fit in and you will know it. You wont learn much (think small town accounting firm) and you wont have a mentor or role model. Very little opportunity for foreign assignments. They are pack followers and not leaders. Doesn't buy you anything on a resume.

Its time for your periodic house cleaning. Why not set an example of paying for performance and raise the bar. The staff does not aspire for the Partnership and the carrot and stick is not existent. Change the culture to something to be proud of and one where recruiters don't ask "Crowe who?". Exit IT consulting since you compete on rates and are not a market leader. Put your emphasis Audit, Tax and Assurance. Your are going to need an outsider in the lead role to shake this place up out of the 50's.

Crowe has a mixture of good team oriented people and others who are out only for themselves.

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Crowe Horwath full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to prove yourself, support services, friendly environment, telecommute when you need to as long as you don't abuse it

Cons

There are many senior people who are in over their head and don't know how to run high growth practices. Unrealistic expectations. They used to be very transparent but not any more.

Focus on your people and the clients will come.

CH

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time

Pros

Great benefits, everyone at the company has an IQ of 160 or higher

Cons

Some of the office furniture is not all that great

Great!

Current Employee - Staff Auditor in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Staff Auditor in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work life balance, salary, staff

Cons

none, none, none, none, none

Overall, a good place to wrk

Former Employee - Audit Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Audit Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Crowe Horwath full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture of the Nashville office seems better than other locations. I think this mainly stems from the quality people managing the Nashville office. I feel valued on a personal level, and not just as an employee.

Cons

I don't know for sure, but I believe pay is below average to average. However, I think the work-life balance is probably better than it would be somewhere else where the pay would be better.

Excellent people and an awesome collaborative atmosphere

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time

Pros

The people and the culture

Cons

We use some outdated software technology

Crowe Horwath Photos