Crowe Horwath

Updated September 15, 2014
3.5

Crowe Horwath CEO Chuck Allen
Chuck Allen

Pros
  • A good work life balance is generally attainable (in 13 reviews)

• Great people, amazing clients, and the ability to apply your college education (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not as flexible as marketed (in 28 reviews)

• Horrible work/life balance under the Crowe Horwath senior management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are great, smaller company so you're able to get a lot more viability, employees have been around for a long time which definitely says a lot about a company.

Cons

internal systems, to many people involved in all different processes which make it hard to really "own" something

spend more money on internal processes, technology, and systems. when people are frustrated by the process, they're frustrated about everything work related.

Great

I worked at Crowe Horwath

Pros

Interesting, I learned a lot.

Cons

It was not very organized.

Great place to work as an intern

Former Employee - Audit Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Crowe Horwath as an intern for less than a year

Pros

On my second day as an intern, I already had several dates set up to travel to clients. I was impressed! They talked on day one about not being a "glorified stapler" as an intern, but they really kept their promise. I gained a lot of valuable experience and got a good feel for what everyday life would be like full-time.

Cons

Not a big 4 firm, so not many locations throughout the country.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Crowe Horwath...probably not for you

Current Employee - Staff Accountant  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a job. Some upward mobility depending whose good side you get on

Cons

They have a set of core values that they don't standby

Pay more and live up to your values

Do Big 4 work without the Big 4 prestige

Former Employee - Senior Assurance Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Assurance Associate

I worked at Crowe Horwath full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Tries to work with people who have families and require flexibility. Co-workers were great! Felt like we were all in the weeds together and could empathize with each other.

Cons

Typical public accounting firm with long hours and extensive travel. Staff and seniors continuously overworked. Sometimes difficult to find a 'convenient time' to take vacation.

Cut back on travel with better staffing.

Occasionally long hours, but great people and benefits

Current Employee - Tax Intern  in  Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Intern in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at Crowe Horwath as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, good people. Nice atmosphere. Culture seems very friendly. Haven't really met anyone I didn't like at Crowe. Nice amenities in the office. Office looks very nice.

Cons

Sometimes you might work a bit longer than you like when deadlines approach, probably more if you're working busy season, but as an intern you get overtime pay if you exceed 40 hours. Not a huge deal, seems typical of public accounting. Occasionally you might get stuck with not much to do as a summer intern, but ask around and you'll find something. No PTO as an intern, holidays aren't paid but you get time off, but I can't really complain.

I think management does a good job, just continue to listen to employees for suggestions or when they need help. I like that the management encourages a friendly and open atmosphere, so keep that up.

Great Place to Learn, Limited Opportunities to Grow

Current Employee - Tax Manager  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Tax Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great opportunities to learn,
    Wide variety of clients to work on
    Great benefit including PTO
    Great people
    Great Place to Start your Career

Cons

Lacks consistent leadership
    Performance is said to be the reason for promotions, but in the end tenure always trumps
    Pay is typically below market unless you leave the firm and come back (in my office we had a Sr. Staff leave and come back less than 12 months later as a Sr. Manager)
    Coaching and career development program is a joke, nobody take it seriously and most partners are unwilling to provide feedback
    Unless you are in one of the original Midwest markets you only opportunity to make partner is to go to a new market that they are trying to develop, but from what I have seen are unwilling to provide the resources needed for these new "partners" to excel

Review your salary data or you will continue to lose quality employees
    Make leadership more transparent and give more power back to the local office partners
    Review your criteria for promotions or people at the manager and above level will continue to look for opportunities where they can make partner faster

Great place to start a career

Former Employee - Audit Staff  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Audit Staff in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Crowe Horwath full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great firm to work for out of college.
    Excellent support resources and an open work environment.

Cons

Work-life balance is not as flexible as marketed.
    Poor collaboration amoung managers limited efficiency, resulting in longer work hours.

Crowe is struggling to redefine their national image as a large national accounting firm, while at the same time claiming to maintain their small firm values. Management needs to communicate a clearer image / firm mission, in order to let their employees and clients know with whom they are working. Perhaps this will reduce the high turnover experienced amoung the staff and senior staff levels. I believe Crowe will continue to grow, but it is hard to tell what they will ultimately become.

conservative pay increase policy forces looking elsewhere

Current Employee - Manager  in  Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Crowe Horwath full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Like many companies, there a lot of nice folks at Crowe to work with and good opportunities to learn, gain experience and move on to another next happy job. Crowe has invested a decent percentage of capital in technology, so the firm is not in the stone age.

Cons

Salary growth is minimal in good times, training funds are pathetic. Look to self-training otherwise you'll become a relic. Large partnership based organization politics can be frustrating, as well as the salary increases for non-partner employees - which are 1-3% at best. It's a top-to-bottom pyramid, with a very niche group at the top (similar to most other companies I've worked at). If you have an offer letter from another company, they will consider increasing your salary, which forces you to interview, which then makes you have to choose whether or not to move on. Backwards method, which causes really good pros to leave, hiring more college grads, then rinse & repeat.

Doubtful that any of the partners would look here, or other officers that could make any difference, so no point in elaborating.

Great Company!

I have been working at Crowe Horwath as an intern

Pros

Great work environment and great co-workers.

Cons

Nothing I have enjoyed everything thus far.

Worked for Crowe Horwath? Contribute to the Community!