Crowe Horwath Reviews in South Bend, IN

3.5

Crowe Horwath CEO Chuck Allen
Chuck Allen

Pros
  • A good work life balance is generally attainable (in 13 reviews)

• Great people, amazing clients, and the ability to apply your college education (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not as flexible as marketed (in 28 reviews)

• Horrible work/life balance under the Crowe Horwath senior management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I worked with Crowe earlier in my life and it was an experience that impacted me for my future

Former Employee - Associate  in  South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Associate in South Bend, IN

I worked at Crowe Horwath full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best reason for working with Crowe Horwath is the idea of togetherness and security.

Cons

Although, I was let go, I would considering reemployment with Crowe because of their work ethics.

Consider I have completed my bachelor degree and I would be a great asset to the company.

15 year veteran Crowe gets laid off. When asked if they know what I did, the answer was no.

Former Employee - Audit Associate  in  South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in South Bend, IN

I worked at Crowe Horwath full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Everlasting friends have been made.

Cons

If you worked with CIO at previous place of employment your in or if your heterosexual Crowe IT is not the place for you unless you suck up. Once you hit age 40 your years at Crowe look for another job. Discriminate against older workers. They lay off people without knowing what they did. Crowe is being sued by FDIC for Colonial Bank failure. Also had lowest rating of any firm for PCAOB reviews. Google it to find out.

When a sports team does bad continuously they fire the coach or management. Look at reviews for employees with tenure, 90% bad reviews. I don't see them making it to 2015.

If a super conservative workplace is your thing, then Crowe Horwath is the place for you...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

I worked at Crowe Horwath

Pros

Staff level is a solid group of individuals, and really fun to work with, and that right there makes the dreadful busy season bearable. Crowe pays for everything, and I mean EVERYTHING!

Cons

Wayyyy to conservative for me, and I understand you'll have this at an accounting firm, but try to loosen up a bit.

See 'cons' above. I feel bad for the staff that try to gut this place out for a long time, as they'll inevitably journey down the road less traveled.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sinking Ship

Former Employee - Senior Staff  in  South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Staff in South Bend, IN

I worked at Crowe Horwath

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Good work/life balance under Crowe Chizek senior management
    - Worked with great people at the same level
    - Good management within my group

Cons

- Very low pay, no raise or bonus in over 2 years
    - poor 401k match
    - Horrible work/life balance under the Crowe Horwath senior management
    - unreal hours expectations
    - "duel competency" = 2 or 3 busy seasons a year. No longer just January - April.
    - expect people to complete more work for less pay
    - give new hires a bonus for passing the CPA exam, but existing employees do not receive anything, not even a raise.
    - Show favoritism to Women for promotions, workload and work/life balance

Open your ears and listen to your employees. Look at how many people have left the firm since the new CEO was elected vs. the old CEO and I'm sure you will notice a large increase. Stop trying to turn Crowe into the Big Four. Go back to your core vaules and put your clients and employees first not the amount of money you can line your pockets with.

It's ok, but could be MUCH better

Current Employee - Staff  in  South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Staff in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Crowe Horwath

Pros

-Great PTO program and benefits (let's face it, at least they're offering it)
    -Numerous good people to work with
    -Decent layout of company overall

Cons

-As mentioned in other reviews; unless your kissing the floor the partners walk on, you won't be recognized
    -Hard work does not payoff.
    -Replying to previous reviews of higher authority: Maybe if things were not thrown at staff to complete, higher moral would exist! If you're looking for someone to work 9am-10pm January thru December, then hire a bum.
    -People constatly leaving which means leaving a ton of work for others to do. They may hire one person to replace the five that left.

-Abolish the annual plan BS. It doesn't even pertain to half the firm.
    -Follow through with what is said. If you request employee's to complete a "People engagement survey" to see what they think of the firm, follow up on it.

job

Current Employee - Senior Auditor  in  South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Crowe Horwath

Pros

Good benefits other than compensation
    If you are on a flexible work arrangement you can get away with murder (negative for those not on flexible arrangement)

Cons

Low pay compared to other
    Awful leadership
    Career advancement = who you are friends with
    You have to pick up the work of other people

don't be so greedy
    don't expect moral to be good if you pay people less and expect them to work more

Senior Staff reviews the pros and cons of work=life at a mid-size CPA firm.

Current Employee - Senior Staff  in  South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Staff in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Crowe Horwath

Pros

Excellent learning environment for fresh college graduates. Small workgroups with access to senior managers and partners.

Cons

Billable hours.

Many women on "flexible work arrangements" (read: reduced salary) put in many more hours than contracted.

Group leaders' inability to plan adequately for implementation of new procedures, software, etc.

Just after laying off scores of employees was a bad time to start talking about "value for our people." The firm decided not to make the long-term investment in people when the economy went south - and that's business. But don't insult our intelligence.

It used to be a great place to work.

Current Employee - IT Staff  in  South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - IT Staff in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Crowe Horwath

Pros

Growing company, ready to go international. The people (not management) are a big reason for staying. They are a very loyal bunch.

Cons

No regard from management on work/life balance. If it takes working until 11pm every night, that's the way it is. Not enough help to complete the tasks in a reasonable amount of time. Growth is way to quick and the infrastructure will crack under the weight of this workload. Senior management does not regard employees as people, just units to get projects done.

Have more respect for employees and listen to their concerns. Don't tell employees to just "roll with the changes". This is not comforting and does not help frustrations in the workplace.

A descent place to work

Current Employee - Employee  in  South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Employee in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Crowe Horwath

Pros

Great benefits packages. I really like how vacation and sick days are combined into one so you can use them when you like. I never call in sick (haven't in the last 5 years) so sick days are not a priority for me. I enjoy the relations I have with my co-workers. Atmosphere is light and they do a good job at not micro managing you.

Cons

Not very happy with the compensation. People resources are a little thin

Don't take advantage of your people resources just because you feel other opportunities might be limited in the area. Happy workers = productive workers

"Unique alternative to the big 4"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Crowe Horwath

Pros

Fast paced environment. Heavy focus on training and career development. Its a great place to start your career.

Cons

Very long hours, almost no work-life balance. Senior management is not concerned about the welfare of individual employees. They focus on billiable hours and nothing else.

Put a greater value on work life balance

Worked for Crowe Horwath? Contribute to the Community!