Crown Equipment Reviews in New Bremen, OH

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014

James F. Dicke II

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The safety and cleanliness standards of this company are amazing, as are the wages for the work we do.

Current Employee - I-Beam Line Operator  in  New Bremen, OH
    Current Employee - I-Beam Line Operator in New Bremen, OH

I have been working at Crown Equipment full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company truly puts it's employees first, and the very first thing I noticed about this place was how clean it was and how seriously they take safety. I must say that I was completely shocked during my first days there on how seriously not only the company took safety, but also how committed the employees were to this core company value. I have worked in manufacturing settings before, and none compare to this. Safety meetings, safety teams, safety reminders, safety competitions, all personal protective equipment PROVIDED. I feel as though the company keeps me safe in my job so that I may go home in the same condition I left. The wages this company offers its employees in the environment they offer seem extremely fair and competitive. Employees are paid to work with new or like new equipment in a place that is always clean and organized. I feel the company truly believes in work smarter not harder, and this is done by having the proper equipment, and having that equipment maintained in tip top shape daily. They make the job as easy, safe, and efficient as possible. I wasn't just thrown to the wolves with no idea of how to do my job or what was required of me. The company trained me for weeks on the machines I would be using, safety, proper housekeeping, etc. Also, I was not treated harshly as a "rookie" or "newbie". The atmosphere of the employees is to help others, not to knock them down. Management and leadership has never blown me off or given me a partial answer because they didn't have the time. If they don't know the answer, they take the time to find the answer then explain it to me thoroughly. Something I found fascinating was that bottled water is free from the vending machine if the day is ever too hot, and one day management even came around and offered popsicles to employees. That being said, the place never gets overly hot, there are more fans in there than you can shake a stick at. Ample personal and vacation time are given, more days than any previous employer has offered. Something else that really made me appreciate the company I work for is that upper level management is not always tucked nice and neatly away in some office building on the other side of the company location. They come down and walk around, talk to employees, come to meetings, and actually care about who you are and how your time is at the company. I respect them, and in turn they care about me.

Cons

Depending on the job, there can be a lot of standing throughout your day, which takes a week or two for the body to adjust to.

Complacency can be a problem after performing the same task over and over all day.

I don't have much advice, the company runs like a smooth, well-oiled machine. The only thing I can really say is to somehow break up the complacency, maybe have employees change to different areas halfway through the shift. Also, help employees see the product down the road, help them understand what the part they made does or how it functions on the finished product. Other than taking an educated guess, I am not sure what my part looks like or how it relates to the finished product after it is welded, blasted, painted, and installed. It would be nice to know why the part I make is essential to the product and why we make my part the way we do.

Prime for quality

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager  in  New Bremen, OH
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in New Bremen, OH

I have been working at Crown Equipment as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

offer great products, and has a culture that prime for quality, offers good training, respects the employees, good work balance

Cons

very political, few processes generate issues between areas. salary is average to low, at least on a contract position and you get no benefits, but work same as full term employees

work on process definition, define roles and responsibilities

Old School Management

Current Employee - Engineering  in  New Bremen, OH
    Current Employee - Engineering in New Bremen, OH

I have been working at Crown Equipment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not Many, Good Salary and Benefits

Cons

Good Ole Boy System. Very Poor project and program management skills through out the company. Very resistant to change or new ideas.

Get some outside blood in executive level postions, get into the 21st century.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Many long time employees do not realize how good they have it.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New Bremen, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Bremen, OH

I have been working at Crown Equipment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation.
    Employs over 3400 people in the Northern Miami Valley
    Growing, unlike most large companies in the area.
    Stable commitment to the area.
    Opportunities for growth if you are willing to put in the work. Employees who say they do not have room for growth, have probably not put forth the effort.
    $5000/yr. for tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Some employees do not realize how good they have it. A lot of other companies in the area, but I am sure they can not offer the stability and benefits of Crown.

Continue effectively communicating with employees. This goes a long way. Crown has changed a lot in the last 10 years, and it is for the better.

Poor chances of advancement

I worked at Crown Equipment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Quality products. Benefits are just ok.

Cons

There is definitely a lack of leadership from upper management. Inability to make sound decisions and stand behind the staff. Look around the company and you will see so many talented long time employees standing still, not being promoted. Not a good environment when you have hit the glass ceiling on your first day. When I left Crown I had been in the same position for 6 years and never considered for advancement. I have since started with a company that I have been promoted two times within two years and the sky is the limit! Feels good to know that I can work towards a goal that proves challenging and stable. I find it hard to believe that the culture at Crown will change much in the years to come, unless someone comes in to shake things up and bring this company into the next generation.

Build and work with the teams you have in place.

Ignorance Runs Wild At This Place

I worked at Crown Equipment full-time

Pros

Better than average salary. Decent benefits and well established company.

Cons

There is a level of incompetence at Crown like I have never seen at any other company. There are employees on the Director level and above that I honestly have no idea how they got in their position and am even more baffled as to how they have kept their jobs. There is overspend everywhere and instead of fixing the issues and letting the people that know what they are doing fix the problems.. there is infighting. Most employees will throw anyone under the bus because they are paranoid to loose their jobs.

They talk about the Crown Culture...the culture is one of ignorance. This place has even sued kids of employees just to make a point. This company's arrogance is amazing!

I'd work at 7-11 before ever working at this place. If you are considering working at Crown....DO NOT!. There are better places to work and live. Living in New Bremen is like being back in high school. The town is full of snobs and it is just one big clique. It is small, boring, and going downhill.

Start listening to those that know what is going on. Clean house from top to bottom in your HR Department. Get rid of some Directors that are completely useless and frankly must have lied on their resume to get a job there.

Great place to learn and grow.

Current Employee - Design Engineer  in  New Bremen, OH
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in New Bremen, OH

I have been working at Crown Equipment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very professional. Lots of nice people to with and for. Family oriented.

Cons

Compensation is not competitive. They have many infrastructure challenges.

Vision and great ideas are only part of what makes a company a great place to invest you time, talent, and energies.

Title

Current Employee - Information Services  in  New Bremen, OH
    Current Employee - Information Services in New Bremen, OH

I have been working at Crown Equipment part-time for less than a year

Pros

Quiet area, good co-workers; easy-going work environment.

Cons

A little disorganized when it comes to records and accountability of hardware and resources.

Overall, a good place to work.

Current Employee - Assembly  in  New Bremen, OH
    Current Employee - Assembly in New Bremen, OH

I have been working at Crown Equipment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Family owned company so no union or union workers to deal with. Standard shifts. 40 hrs per week, overtime is 99% voluntary. Safety is always Number 1! Very clean factory. Vacation is based on years of service, after 1 year you get a week. They offer tuition reimbursement. They provide prescription safety glasses, and boot allowance.

Cons

Pay is relatively low compared to other factories doing similar work. Communication throughout departments is horrible. Christmas bonuses are taxed! Average length of service is quite long, so getting vacation time off may be difficult since a lot of employees have many weeks of vacation and the vacation book fills up quick. And management never seems to follow the rules about limiting time off to one person per line. Crown is all about who you know. Certain people will always be held higher than you no matter what.

Hold people accountable for their mistakes. Welders are not gods, you have no problem going after assembly workers for their mistakes, have a standard and hold everyone to it. Let people advance based on their performance, not how many drinks they buy you or how often. Communication, learn it and use it. You want to know how to fix something, ask someone who does the job, not your process techs, they don't know. Don't tell me to follow standard work when you'll just throw it to the wind when a problem arises. If I have to do other peoples jobs as well as my own, then I want some of their pay. I don't get paid enough to assemble, inspect, and stock handle.

The job description was not truthful and they do not live up to there company's mission.

I worked at Crown Equipment

Pros

They are a growing company in a small rural town. They support the community.

Cons

Top management does not respect the employees, poor communications and problem solving skills. Human resources do not have the conflict managements skills needed for a growing company.

As the company grows you need qualified personel to to deal with today problems. Some of your top management need to improve their skills with employees . You also need an employee assistance program on site. There is a big turn around in employees. In the near future employees will not stay with this company for 25 years as they do now.

Worked for Crown Equipment? Contribute to the Community!