Crown Equipment

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015
3.3

James F. Dicke II

Highly professional company that offers a competitive salary

Current Employee - Supplier Quality Engineer Lvl II in Greencastle, IN
    Current Employee - Supplier Quality Engineer Lvl II in Greencastle, IN

I have been working at Crown Equipment full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Crown is people focused and invests in training, safety, and moral.

Cons

Candidates are not screened properly for management positions.

Spend more time learning how to be better effective leaders instead of dictators. Be open, honest, and clear with direction.

a great place to work , until new management took over

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Crown Equipment

Pros

decent pay & strong market share

Cons

highly experienced techs are relentlessly micro-managed . any plausible excuse is used to deny raises . unskilled rookies are hired by the boatload
    then turned loose at customer's .techs are routinely required to participate in inflating customers bills. field service managers are incompetent & always running scared

return to the customer service ethic that built Crown Equipment in years past , and re-learn that empowering the people in direct contact on a daily basis creates growth.

Clueless Management

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in New Bremen, OH
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in New Bremen, OH

I have been working at Crown Equipment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

? Not sure what I would consider good about this organization after seeing it from the inside.

Cons

Working with inept management. Engineering, project, and program managers are the worst I have ever worked with. They would rather place blame then find solutions to problems. No one knows how to meet a deadline, schedules are always pushed out/delayed. There is no creativity in product development, designs are copied or reverse engineered from competitors products.

Management does not take advice. If you are not in the Crown mafia, your inputs do not matter.

Absent Leadership

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Crown Equipment full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Atmosphere, environment, and culture could be amazing

Cons

Lack of knowledgeable leadership. Have the wrong people in the wrong places.

Get out on the floor to talk to your people, not criticize your people.

Mechanical Engineer Co-op

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer Co-op in New Bremen, OH
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer Co-op in New Bremen, OH

I worked at Crown Equipment as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

- Flexibility. Crown gives co-op's the opportunity to work in multiple engineering departments.
    - Friendliness. Everyone was very friendly and enjoyable to work with.

Cons

I can not think of any cons.

Have co-op's attend more meetings pertaining to the job's that they are working on. I learned a lot about Crown's product and about Crown in general from sitting in on meetings.

Excellent company to work for, very flexible schedule, great pay if you work hard!

Current Employee - CSS
    Current Employee - CSS

I have been working at Crown Equipment full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Once you get in the company, very doubtful to leave. Get a chance to drive.

Cons

A lot of driving if you don't like to drive

Keep up the tradition of quality performance!

Good pay, not much politics

Current Employee - Engineer in New Bremen, OH
    Current Employee - Engineer in New Bremen, OH

I have been working at Crown Equipment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is pretty good, the company culture is low stress, since it is a private owned company and they don't need to worry about stock analysts.

Cons

Small company philosophy on technology such as reluctant to use webex for conferencing, and travel policies are outdated making employees drive their own vehicles, etc.

Embrace technology

The safety and cleanliness standards of this company are amazing, as are the wages for the work we do.

Current Employee - I-Beam Line Operator in New Bremen, OH
    Current Employee - I-Beam Line Operator in New Bremen, OH

I have been working at Crown Equipment full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This company truly puts it's employees first, and the very first thing I noticed about this place was how clean it was and how seriously they take safety. I must say that I was completely shocked during my first days there on how seriously not only the company took safety, but also how committed the employees were to this core company value. I have worked in manufacturing settings before, and none compare to this. Safety meetings, safety teams, safety reminders, safety competitions, all personal protective equipment PROVIDED. I feel as though the company keeps me safe in my job so that I may go home in the same condition I left. The wages this company offers its employees in the environment they offer seem extremely fair and competitive. Employees are paid to work with new or like new equipment in a place that is always clean and organized. I feel the company truly believes in work smarter not harder, and this is done by having the proper equipment, and having that equipment maintained in tip top shape daily. They make the job as easy, safe, and efficient as possible. I wasn't just thrown to the wolves with no idea of how to do my job or what was required of me. The company trained me for weeks on the machines I would be using, safety, proper housekeeping, etc. Also, I was not treated harshly as a "rookie" or "newbie". The atmosphere of the employees is to help others, not to knock them down. Management and leadership has never blown me off or given me a partial answer because they didn't have the time. If they don't know the answer, they take the time to find the answer then explain it to me thoroughly. Something I found fascinating was that bottled water is free from the vending machine if the day is ever too hot, and one day management even came around and offered popsicles to employees. That being said, the place never gets overly hot, there are more fans in there than you can shake a stick at. Ample personal and vacation time are given, more days than any previous employer has offered. Something else that really made me appreciate the company I work for is that upper level management is not always tucked nice and neatly away in some office building on the other side of the company location. They come down and walk around, talk to employees, come to meetings, and actually care about who you are and how your time is at the company. I respect them, and in turn they care about me.

Cons

Depending on the job, there can be a lot of standing throughout your day, which takes a week or two for the body to adjust to.

Complacency can be a problem after performing the same task over and over all day.

I don't have much advice, the company runs like a smooth, well-oiled machine. The only thing I can really say is to somehow break up the complacency, maybe have employees change to different areas halfway through the shift. Also, help employees see the product down the road, help them understand what the part they made does or how it functions on the finished product. Other than taking an educated guess, I am not sure what my part looks like or how it relates to the finished product after it is welded, blasted, painted, and installed. It would be nice to know why the part I make is essential to the product and why we make my part the way we do.

Good place to work

I have been working at Crown Equipment

Pros

Career growth opportunities if willing to relocate

Cons

Need to relocate to advance career

Prime for quality

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in New Bremen, OH
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in New Bremen, OH

I have been working at Crown Equipment as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

offer great products, and has a culture that prime for quality, offers good training, respects the employees, good work balance

Cons

very political, few processes generate issues between areas. salary is average to low, at least on a contract position and you get no benefits, but work same as full term employees

work on process definition, define roles and responsibilities

Crown Equipment Photos