Crown Holdings

Be The First To
Add Photos

Crown Holdings Chairman, President, and CEO John W. Conway

John W. Conway

Great for those ready to retire or just starting out

Administrative Services (Former Employee)

ProsThis company offers great benefits and is a great place to end your career. If you have years of experience and want somewhere that hasn't changed in about 25 years, this is the place for you to sail into retirement.
    If you have little experience and a college degree and want to get your foot in the door somewhere that will be impressive to others in manufacturing industry, this is the place for you to get a good foundation.
    Will allow you to know how to handle many things you would never learn at other companies, because they keep hiring for professional positions down to a minimum.

ConsIf you are young, ambitious and looking for a career to fill the years between entry level and retirement, this is not the place for you.
    Do not appreciate high performers if your demographics do not match up with the majority of this company.
    Very little opportunity for advancement
    Very little diversity, employee relations events, and emphasis on positive work/life balance
    Inundated techniques, policies, procedures and technology
    Poor communication across divisional lines

Advice to Senior ManagementMove into the 21st century with compensation and technology
    Start caring about your people who make that beautiful corporate campus possible
    Don't have corporate holiday parties and dinners when you won't give your local plants a budget to do anything for the production workers
    Acknowledge your employees with tenure, you have 40 year employees and all they get is an email to pick out a piece of crap, you should do BETTER!
    Hire less VPs, Directors, and fluff workers at the top and allow the plants to have the manpower to be successful without overworking loyal employees

Slow Year

ProsCrown Toledo has some great people to work with, and the work is easy for the maintenance department. The benefits here are 'meh'. They do offer a small pension after four years of service, which is better than other companies offer. Their health insurance is paid for by the company and they offer tuition reimbursement for improvement. After two years employees receive 60% of their pay during layoffs.

ConsThere isn't any room for advancement. What you're hired in as is what you'll stay. Work can be slow fairly frequently with reduced hours - prone to layoffs. If you haven't made your two year mark it can be tough to get by when work is slow.

Ok for now

ProsCould be worse for sure. One of the better jobs in this area. Benefits are pretty great.

ConsManagement are worthless. Safety and training are talked about like they are important but unless you are in the chosen few they don't really care.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about hiring some management who can actually deal with the employees rationally. And hire some management who have done the jobs on the floor instead of hiring from the outside and getting people who have never done anything other than sit in an office.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A decent place to work for my first thirteen (13) years, then everything at Plant #058 changed for the worst.

Forklift Driver (Former Employee) Aurora, IL

ProsFor semi-skilled work, the pay and benefits were decent. The other workers were mature and easy to get along with. It was nice to have a lot of days off, since we worked twelve-hour shifts only three or four days each week.

ConsCrown Cork and Seal is an old American manufacturer headquartered in an old American city (Philadelphia). At Plant #058 in Aurora, IL, many of the production machines were designed and built back in the 1950's. This company is getting hammered by state-of-the-art, foreign competition. If you are offered a job there, it's probably because they just fired another poor fellow who couldn't handle a sudden doubling of his work load. My advice is to not get on board this sinking ship.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery simple. Just follow the Golden Rule with your workforce, especially the elderly, long-term employees.

Decent company, limited room for growth.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCafeteria that has hot food breakfast and lunch. Pretty good work life balance. Most employees are friendly. Good for a couple of years out of school.

ConsOffice politics higher than most companies. Have to be very careful what you say. Limited room for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop people with higher ambition as opposed employees who stay there for life.

OK to work for

Employee (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsPay and insurance
    Most of the employees at the plant are nice to work with

ConsCorporate Office give themselves promotions and raises while they hold back the people who actually make them look good

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of your good ole' boy network

Sucked

ProsGot a paycheck
    Kept me busy

ConsPeople are rude union workers
    Lazy people

RR Donnelley

Pressroom Shift Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsBig Company that sucks @#$%

ConsYou never have a day off and they don't care

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should take care of your employee's better

Disappointing experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Pros- Good benefits
    - Faithful and committed employees (from staff to managers)

Cons- Limited opportunities for career advancement.
    - Lack of a consistent and impartial feedback process with no actual focus on professional development and/or improvement
    - Old fashioned company not open to diversity or change
    - Business has been flat in North America for several years with reduction in the number of plants in US and Canada

Advice to Senior Management- Review HR policies to include anonymous 360 feedback for managers and above
    - Assess company culture and tone of the top with regards to diversity

A sound and secure career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Aurora, IL

ProsInteresting product that the company produces.

ConsNo updated engineering for air conditioning the warehouse.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work that reduces the employee turnovers and very little to no layoffs.

Worked for Crown Holdings? Contribute to the Community!