Crown Prosecution Service

Crown Prosecution Service CEO Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Too many managers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible working hours, interesting work

ConsToo many managers, low morale, pay freezes, lazy staff who lack ambition

Advice to Senior ManagementLess micro management and encourage staff to feel valued

Dead end job, generally bad employer

Administrative (Current Employee) Stafford, England (UK)

ProsVery occasionally you might get the feeling that you have somehow contributed to putting a bad guy behind bars

ConsI know I has a particularly bad time at the CPS, so my review inevitably has a negative slant.

When I joined the website boasted career prospects "The only question you have to ask, is how far do you want to go?" This was the antithesis of what I found. The CPS represents the very worst symptoms of being a public sector organisation. All that matters is ticking boxes. The fact that in reality the job isn't done means nothing to the management. The staff are a mixture of hard working saints that stop the place from sinking under water completely, and the rest only got the job because they ticked boxes in the interview. Three Senior Crown Prosecutors, responsible for putting rapists behind bars, crowded around a PC, baffled because they can't open an Excel document in MS Word. I could give a million examples that illustrate how stupid most of the people I worked with were; the simple fact is, if you're a good employee, then you should only work for a good employer. There is a reason the CPS ends up with the worst people. In my office there was a huge staff turn over of 'good' employees, but not so much of the bad ones.

Advice to Senior ManagementPrivatise state prosecutions, give up, the organisation is a joke, Stop giving yourselves massive voluntary exit pay outs whenever you fee like leaving, and cut the crap.

CPS Lawyer

Senior Crown Prosecutor (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsInteresting and varied work. never boring.

ConsUnfair pay structure. Lawyers doing the same job are paid with as much as 17 k variance.
    Constant changes imposed by senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo back to back courts to appreciate the pressure and workload instead of micro managing us.

Worked for Crown Prosecution Service? Contribute to the Community!