Crum & Forster

Add Photos

Doug Libby

very challenging environment

Network Engineer (Current Employee) Morristown, NJ

Prosvery good people to work with.

Consgoing through some phases every few years.

Advice to Senior Managementgood company to work for 5 to 10 years.

too many chiefs and not enough indians

WC Claim Representative (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Prosflexibility, great co-worker atmosphere, flexible work schedule

Conshigh inventory of dog files that can't be resolved

Horrible

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) Morristown, NJ

ProsBenefits
    Starting place for a career elsewhere
    Layoffs
    Unless in the top layer older workers are devalued.

ConsNo empowerment
    Management is cheap and ineffective
    Changes in sr mañagement is always a change in strategy
    A shrinking company.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should leave and bring in all new.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Constant change, nice people, too fractured with new acquisitions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Morristown, NJ

ProsCasual environment, flex time, good PTO, most of the people are nice and just want to go in, get the work done and leave at a a reasonable hour. Under the right manager, you could have a good job, but in order to have a great career, you really have to go to another company.

ConsFractious. Too many different companies vying to do things their way. Apathy. Many managers feared for their survival and would sabotage underlings in order to not be overshadowed and made obsolete. Year after year of layoffs was trying on those who remained.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in quality middle management, training and promote from within.

Ludicrous

ProsFlex time and very good knowledgeable people in the trenches.

ConsThis nearly 200 year old company still is trying to figure out what it is going to be when it grows up. Constant shifts in position. "Dynamic" would be a euphemism here. Constant change is counterproductive. Senior management almost seems to want to kill the company. Employees are not valued. Nothing positive ever happens here, if you don't count bonus time for senior management. Bonuses for everyone else miniscule to non-existent. Layoffs and downsizing are routine. The most negative environment and quirkiest senior management I have seen at any of the many companies I have been with.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove on. Fairfax can do better.

Review of Crum and Forster Insurance

Project Manager (Former Employee) Morristown, NJ

ProsGreat leadership, excellent environment and leading edge technologies. The people are friendly and there is great potential to learn.

ConsThey don't like old people. They rely too much on off-shore workers. Continuous lay-offs. The company is shrinking it's business as they change their product offerings

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management is to place more emphasis on experience and results. Listen to the employees. Don't only rely on the "educated" senior managers with little experience.

Interesting experience with some positives and many places for improvement.

Business Development Intern (Current Employee) Morristown, NJ

ProsMany opportunities to meet and work with clients. Opportunities for upward mobility. Large resources, and large workforce. There are several opportunities here to take initiative and make a difference.

ConsRather unenthusiastic work force. Not many benefits or perks for employees. Pay is average, the people seem to be just trying to get through the day. Most upper-level management seem to be just using this job to jump ship and join a better firm. Company overall needs total makeover in both attitude and finances.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more involved with your lower level employees, and be more transparent about the company's direction.

Average Corporate Experience

Operations Assistant (Current Employee) Morristown, NJ

ProsNice cafeteria, option to work from home during bad weather - depends on manager, flex schedule, free gym

ConsReally depends on your manager but - not really optional schedule b/c it requires manager approval, micro managing

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees more freedom as long as they accomplish goals, don't over-analyze people.

Excellent opportunities for smart people...

I T Infrastructure Support (Current Employee) Morristown, NJ

ProsFlexible and dynamic environment. If you are smart, you can really make a difference here and be recognized as a key player.

ConsDivision between App/Dev and IT Infrastructure. Many manual processes. New IT management lacks real enterprise experience which exposes them to rookie mistakes. That being said, they are learning fast and now hiring good people with the know how to take them in the right direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the value of working together across divisions. Invest in strategically sound personnel and apply the appropriate technology to solve real business problems.

A laid back comforting environment but a shrinking company with less benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Laid back environment
    - Good people to work with.
    - Good learning.

Cons- Health plan benefits are not good at all.
    - No maternity or paternity leave, you have to choose the state provided one.
    - The company was downsizing as the business they were in no longer was that profitable. There were layoffs left and right.
    - Pay was not too bad, but on the lower side than most of its competitors.
    - There was no option to grow as a professional unless someone vacated the position above.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Worked for Crum & Forster? Contribute to the Community!