Crumbs Bake Shop Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.8
Edward M. Slezak

Pros
  • Free cupcakes although we all knew better that to eat anything (in 18 reviews)

• Free cupcakes and coffee drinks (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management does not listen to a word that employees say (in 10 reviews)

• Pay being reduced, tips taken away no benefits (in 7 reviews)

1. I loved my crumbs Family

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Garden City, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Garden City, NY

I have been working at Crumbs Bake Shop

Pros

The team leads where nice.
    Close knit

Cons

Didn't have enough workers which meant some worked extra hard not time for anything else.

2. Crumbs Review

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome place to work i loved that it was always a manager present

Cons

pay staff more and have better quality cupcakes.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

3. Basic inexperienced chaos

Current Employee - Team Leader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Crumbs Bake Shop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hourly wage is decent I guess.

Cons

No clear management, literally, I don't have a designated manager. Product is never taught to employees. Hours are always changing. If you want to be left in the dark, never receive 40 hours a week, and be disregarded work here.

Advice to Management

Fix management structure, teach employees, let shift managers actually do some managing.

Nice company, poor management

I have been working at Crumbs Bake Shop part-time

Pros

This place has some very dedicated fans, believe me. Several times a week people will ask us to take out their favorite item so they can snap a selfie with it. It offers employee discounts if you buy the items and there is flexible scheduling.

Cons

When Mr. Lemonis bought the company he wished to expand them beyond traditional cupcakes, which is great. But they should be affordable to people. Price hikes are common and have little or no explanation - we are not even allowed to ticket goods so with the poor signage that is provided very often do people have no idea how much their item is. And that's not even the cupcakes - 4.29 for a tiny brownie? Even more for a pudding cup? We have no control over the prices, which would be great if we could as not all stores are in the fancy money areas and need to be more understanding to survive.

The store is often forced to order items that do not sell, many times just because they are pushed on TV. Recent items included biscuits (we sold none) and then a watermelon cupcake which we had to buy for ages - despite that people really, really hated it. I've seen people spit it out. Expensive cupcakes in a jar, you name it.

The motto is "baked fresh daily" which is sort of untrue. We do get things in daily but keep things over for a little depending on the item (but always check for freshness - some 3 day old items are fine, and yummy). It is just that the incoming quality changes often. If our bakery has leftovers they'll just ship them the next day and without our care they arrive stale. Also the cupcakes vary in size and decoration styles often and people remark on it regularly.

When we ask upper level / senior / district management for things they are clueless. Had problems with bakery cases arriving dirty and nothing. Get so many requests for ingredients, calorie info, things like that, and nothing other than being told what's in the gluten free flour. We lose a lot of sales simply because people need to know certain things and we cannot tell them.

We are also forced to have time for breaks removed from our pay, and if we get busy we simply just can't take one. So that money is lost daily. It would also help to have been full time but all positions are part.

Advice to Management

Cut it with the price increases and ticket all goods so folks know cost - it does not matter how many signs you put up (which isn't many) - when people get to the register and discover they have a 4.99 plus cupcake many will and do freak out. On us. Despite the increases the quality if anything has gotten worse on several items according to personal experience and the complaints of multiple customers.

6. It is a decent place but not for a person who isn't willing to kiss behind

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Crumbs Bake Shop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free cupcakes and somewhat a discount , also some customers you meet makes you day go well

Cons

Having to learn everything on your own no real training just winging mostly everything , lack of communication , disorderly and jealously

Advice to Management

Keep to your words respect ppl how you will like to be respected

7. Back and Better!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Crumbs Bake Shop

Pros

New owners, the new corporate lineup is actually helpful and seems to care about employees, new DM is a realistic person who makes you actually WANT to work for her.

Cons

I've worked here before they closed down and I'm back now and I'm 100% happier with the company already. I do not have any cons at the moment.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! It makes employees work harder when you care and compromise. We all know it's rare in a larger company to get treated like you matter, IT IS APPRECIATED!

8. Review

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop part-time

Pros

I had a fun time working with my staff but I was lucky. It is a store where you get regulars and it makes a big corporate company feel smaller. ]
    DM always lended a helping hand

Cons

lack of communication with upper management
    high turn over rate
    employee pay is low

9. Great concept, just so much paperwork

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free cupcake when working, get to help people smile

Cons

so much paperwork to fill out it when working, takes away from the customer experience when its so busy and you still have to fill out a cleaning sheet or inventory sheet

Advice to Management

rethink the glove/sanitary situation, feel as if hundreds of gloves are wasted and its not very efficient having to stop and but on gloves, take them off, wash hands because chalky and then help next customer

10. horrible....

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Definitely the free starbucks and cupcake each shift

Cons

everything else; overworked (more than 40 hrs. per week part time), horrible management, unsanitary.

11. Should have listened to Store Managers

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, got to try new flavors, vacation time, holiday pay, great salary.

Cons

Left in the dark a lot, asked managers to come up with ideas to generate revenue and they never incorporated any of them, sometimes cupcakes wouldn't show up.

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter, they filed bankruptcy in July 2014.

RSS Feed </> Embed