Crumbs Bake Shop

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
1.7

Edward M. Slezak

Great concept, just so much paperwork

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop part-time for less than a year

Pros

free cupcake when working, get to help people smile

Cons

so much paperwork to fill out it when working, takes away from the customer experience when its so busy and you still have to fill out a cleaning sheet or inventory sheet

rethink the glove/sanitary situation, feel as if hundreds of gloves are wasted and its not very efficient having to stop and but on gloves, take them off, wash hands because chalky and then help next customer

closed down

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop

Pros

able to work full-time hours

Cons

no real oppurtunity to grow

Should have listened to Store Managers

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun environment, got to try new flavors, vacation time, holiday pay, great salary.

Cons

Left in the dark a lot, asked managers to come up with ideas to generate revenue and they never incorporated any of them, sometimes cupcakes wouldn't show up.

Doesn't matter, they filed bankruptcy in July 2014.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Oh well

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop for more than 3 years

Pros

Better product than most keep saying in the news. Management cared a lot about the quality and made it a point to never let us serve something we shouldn't.

Cons

Everything else. Poor pay, poor hours, poor management, and a lot of hard-working people left on the streets because of a combination of such a poorly run company and a greedy little man with a cable news reality show who decided to swoop in through the back (see: Little Miss Muffin). I'm surprised that the last part isn't more obvious to people. While not the cause, he's certainly the final reason why these stores are closed now.

I really hope the few of you who might stay on with the reopening stores change your minds.

Flagrantly irresponsible and incompetent upper management.

Former Employee - Team Leader  in  Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free food, and they took a chance on me by hiring me on as a manager with no prior experience. I think that my fellow team leaders and I did a superb job of running the shop and providing excellent customer service, but that's not what upper management was interested in.

Cons

Upper management doesn't have the faintest clue how to run a business. Period. I really hope that Ed Slezak and Julian Geiger are permanently branded as clueless CEOs and no one lets them near their business ventures. I reached out and e-mailed the guy noting how much product was being wasted and how poorly the shops were being run in an administrative sense and he blew me off. Fortunately, I got out before the mass layoffs and store closings came into full swing, but my colleagues and friends weren't so lucky, ultimately being screwed by a company that didn't care about them in the first place.

Listen to your employees. They're the face of your company. If you don't treat them well or at least acknowledge their ideas, they won't represent your brand well. Manage your finances better too - stop using third-party vendors for everything. It costs too much money to do that these days. Do some things in-house.

A real shame

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent benefits and salary, paid vacation time, easy job, received severance pay when laid off

Cons

The company-wide expectation of managers is to work full shifts alone in the shop, and complete all required managerial tasks while also assisting every customer. It's possible but very counterproductive, and makes it difficult to use the bathroom or eat during a shift without compromising good customer service. It also seemed a little dangerous to me as we live in a world where robberies, mall shootings, etc. are becoming commonplace.

There is no real training program for store managers or team leaders. I was trained by another store manager, who did a great job but there was a lot that I found out through trial and error which could have been covered during my training.

The quality of the product has slipped significantly since I started with the company. Cupcakes are kept for three days, flavors are not as exciting as they once were, and new products are being introduced at BJ's stores but are not sold at actual Crumbs stores. The bakeries are offsite, and there is a serious lack of communication between them and the retail shops. The bakers don't really seem to know what they're doing, and delivery drivers are not careful with their cargo.

Crumbs is currently downsizing. It is understandable, because they are simply not a profitable company anymore. However, their solution is to close stores with no notice given. They did not pay the rent for my store for several months as a way to get out of their lease without paying extra money. I was served a warrant of removal with one day to get everything out of my shop. This was a humiliating experience as there were customers in the store at the time. No one informed my DM of the decision to close my store, and no one on the corporate level bothered to contact me after I found out. After 24 hours of scrambling and back-breaking labor, we closed the shop, leaving behind thousands of dollars worth of supplies and equipment. My DM was very supportive through this process and offered assistance with finding a new job. I did receive two weeks of severance pay and my entire staff received one week of pay, so I really appreciate that and it gave me the time I needed to seek other employment. However this was just not the ethical way to go about closing a business.

Give customers a reason to frequent these stores. There are never any sales, coupons or other incentive for the consumer. THREE DAY OLD CUPCAKES SHOULD NOT BE SERVED TO ANYONE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. We on the store level look like real jerks when people come back to return a stale cupcake that we were forced to sell to them!! The secret to success with a chain is consistency. Different Crumbs stores have different bakeries and none of them are consistent with one another.

Not even working!

Current Employee - Team Lead
    Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at Crumbs Bake Shop part-time

Pros

Free coffee and cupcakes. And the occasional awesome customer

Cons

Company is way over it's head. I haven't even been to work in three days because they can't handle the bakery situation. Managers are working over 50+ hours a week which leaves no hours for anyone else. Dm has been disrespectful of several occasions. Favoritism was shown. Honestly don't know how long I can work there any more

Just give up

New company means constant change.

I have been working at Crumbs Bake Shop

Pros

Good customer service experience, upper management is within reach of all employees

Cons

Being a fairly new business, it is always making changes and management seems to be in and out.

Talk with sales staff more, in addition to management, to see issues from both sides.

Burnt out in 9 months

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was fortunate and had an amazing team of people who worked for me.

Cons

Basically everything- I was hired with the understanding that Store Managers worked 40+ hours a week, Two weeks in, it was 45+ and by the time I left, I was doing 10-12 hour shifts on a daily basis and never worked under 50 hours per week. It was exhausting and soul sucking, ridiculously repetitive and utterly miserable. The corporate office is the problem with this company- they've gotten rid of nearly every job in the office, so that one person is doing the job of 5. The CEO is out of touch, and the COO Eric is a horrible. I came aboard with really high hopes, but the disorganization and the churn and burn lifestyle led me to start job hunting less then a month in. I would not recommend taking a job here to anyone- there are MUCH better retail and food service companies out there.

DM's need to have more realistic expectations of their managers, the company needs to get better at hiring and the corporate employees need to get out to the field so they can understand their business better! Someone within corporate needs to take a really good look at the business as a whole and make some HUGE changes for this company to be sustainable for then a few more months. The desperate attempts to revive business aren't working and haven't for the past year- the company is 100% a sinking ship.

The most publicly known UNORGANIZED company

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free cupcakes although we all knew better that to eat anything. Cool tshirts. Nice regulars who actually appreciated us.

Cons

Traumatizing experience with crumbs for 3+ years with them and my experience at 5 different stores. Company tried to be bigger than they could handle. Turn-over rate everywhere from associates to corporate is INSANELY high... Always a new head honcho coming in and out and the stores they visited rarely ever got a passing grade in their book leaving everyone defeated. NO QUALITY OF LIFE. Over-worked salaried store employees by completely taking advantage and often times, trying to push them to get them to quit. Managers were in charge of making the schedule but had most of their own schedule dictated to them in a nonsensical way. Was also told whom we could and could not talk to from other stores like school children (despite the help/advice/materials we needed from them)!! Constant badgering, belittling, gossiping and trash talking from person above me however some NY and CA people had a completely different style leaving me wishing I worked for them. No role models. Squandered money on irrational things such as staff shirts for every little holiday and making a million bag stuffers no one cared about. Company couldn't make up their mind on anything, went back and forth on our coffee distributor 3 different times- twice with the SAME COMPANY! Stock is under 30 cents... Doomed beyond repair

Should've took care of the people who actually cared

Worked for Crumbs Bake Shop? Contribute to the Community!