Crumbs Bake Shop

Updated February 16, 2015
Updated February 16, 2015
1.7

Edward M. Slezak

Pros
  • free cupcakes if they are fresh (in 18 reviews)

• Free cupcakes and coffee drinks (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management does not listen to a word that employees say (in 10 reviews)

• A few weeks ago, I found out I am part time and will receive NO benefits (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice company, poor management

I have been working at Crumbs Bake Shop part-time

Pros

This place has some very dedicated fans, believe me. Several times a week people will ask us to take out their favorite item so they can snap a selfie with it. It offers employee discounts if you buy the items and there is flexible scheduling.

Cons

When Mr. Lemonis bought the company he wished to expand them beyond traditional cupcakes, which is great. But they should be affordable to people. Price hikes are common and have little or no explanation - we are not even allowed to ticket goods so with the poor signage that is provided very often do people have no idea how much their item is. And that's not even the cupcakes - 4.29 for a tiny brownie? Even more for a pudding cup? We have no control over the prices, which would be great if we could as not all stores are in the fancy money areas and need to be more understanding to survive.

The store is often forced to order items that do not sell, many times just because they are pushed on TV. Recent items included biscuits (we sold none) and then a watermelon cupcake which we had to buy for ages - despite that people really, really hated it. I've seen people spit it out. Expensive cupcakes in a jar, you name it.

The motto is "baked fresh daily" which is sort of untrue. We do get things in daily but keep things over for a little depending on the item (but always check for freshness - some 3 day old items are fine, and yummy). It is just that the incoming quality changes often. If our bakery has leftovers they'll just ship them the next day and without our care they arrive stale. Also the cupcakes vary in size and decoration styles often and people remark on it regularly.

When we ask upper level / senior / district management for things they are clueless. Had problems with bakery cases arriving dirty and nothing. Get so many requests for ingredients, calorie info, things like that, and nothing other than being told what's in the gluten free flour. We lose a lot of sales simply because people need to know certain things and we cannot tell them.

We are also forced to have time for breaks removed from our pay, and if we get busy we simply just can't take one. So that money is lost daily. It would also help to have been full time but all positions are part.

Cut it with the price increases and ticket all goods so folks know cost - it does not matter how many signs you put up (which isn't many) - when people get to the register and discover they have a 4.99 plus cupcake many will and do freak out. On us. Despite the increases the quality if anything has gotten worse on several items according to personal experience and the complaints of multiple customers.

Back and Better!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Crumbs Bake Shop

Pros

New owners, the new corporate lineup is actually helpful and seems to care about employees, new DM is a realistic person who makes you actually WANT to work for her.

Cons

I've worked here before they closed down and I'm back now and I'm 100% happier with the company already. I do not have any cons at the moment.

Keep it up! It makes employees work harder when you care and compromise. We all know it's rare in a larger company to get treated like you matter, IT IS APPRECIATED!

It is a decent place but not for a person who isn't willing to kiss behind

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Crumbs Bake Shop part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free cupcakes and somewhat a discount , also some customers you meet makes you day go well

Cons

Having to learn everything on your own no real training just winging mostly everything , lack of communication , disorderly and jealously

Keep to your words respect ppl how you will like to be respected

Review

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop part-time

Pros

I had a fun time working with my staff but I was lucky. It is a store where you get regulars and it makes a big corporate company feel smaller. ]
    DM always lended a helping hand

Cons

lack of communication with upper management
    high turn over rate
    employee pay is low

Great concept, just so much paperwork

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop part-time (less than a year)

Pros

free cupcake when working, get to help people smile

Cons

so much paperwork to fill out it when working, takes away from the customer experience when its so busy and you still have to fill out a cleaning sheet or inventory sheet

rethink the glove/sanitary situation, feel as if hundreds of gloves are wasted and its not very efficient having to stop and but on gloves, take them off, wash hands because chalky and then help next customer

horrible....

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Definitely the free starbucks and cupcake each shift

Cons

everything else; overworked (more than 40 hrs. per week part time), horrible management, unsanitary.

closed down

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop

Pros

able to work full-time hours

Cons

no real oppurtunity to grow

Should have listened to Store Managers

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, got to try new flavors, vacation time, holiday pay, great salary.

Cons

Left in the dark a lot, asked managers to come up with ideas to generate revenue and they never incorporated any of them, sometimes cupcakes wouldn't show up.

Doesn't matter, they filed bankruptcy in July 2014.

Oh well

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop (more than 3 years)

Pros

Better product than most keep saying in the news. Management cared a lot about the quality and made it a point to never let us serve something we shouldn't.

Cons

Everything else. Poor pay, poor hours, poor management, and a lot of hard-working people left on the streets because of a combination of such a poorly run company and a greedy little man with a cable news reality show who decided to swoop in through the back (see: Little Miss Muffin). I'm surprised that the last part isn't more obvious to people. While not the cause, he's certainly the final reason why these stores are closed now.

I really hope the few of you who might stay on with the reopening stores change your minds.

A real shame

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits and salary, paid vacation time, easy job, received severance pay when laid off

Cons

The company-wide expectation of managers is to work full shifts alone in the shop, and complete all required managerial tasks while also assisting every customer. It's possible but very counterproductive, and makes it difficult to use the bathroom or eat during a shift without compromising good customer service. It also seemed a little dangerous to me as we live in a world where robberies, mall shootings, etc. are becoming commonplace.

There is no real training program for store managers or team leaders. I was trained by another store manager, who did a great job but there was a lot that I found out through trial and error which could have been covered during my training.

The quality of the product has slipped significantly since I started with the company. Cupcakes are kept for three days, flavors are not as exciting as they once were, and new products are being introduced at BJ's stores but are not sold at actual Crumbs stores. The bakeries are offsite, and there is a serious lack of communication between them and the retail shops. The bakers don't really seem to know what they're doing, and delivery drivers are not careful with their cargo.

Crumbs is currently downsizing. It is understandable, because they are simply not a profitable company anymore. However, their solution is to close stores with no notice given. They did not pay the rent for my store for several months as a way to get out of their lease without paying extra money. I was served a warrant of removal with one day to get everything out of my shop. This was a humiliating experience as there were customers in the store at the time. No one informed my DM of the decision to close my store, and no one on the corporate level bothered to contact me after I found out. After 24 hours of scrambling and back-breaking labor, we closed the shop, leaving behind thousands of dollars worth of supplies and equipment. My DM was very supportive through this process and offered assistance with finding a new job. I did receive two weeks of severance pay and my entire staff received one week of pay, so I really appreciate that and it gave me the time I needed to seek other employment. However this was just not the ethical way to go about closing a business.

Give customers a reason to frequent these stores. There are never any sales, coupons or other incentive for the consumer. THREE DAY OLD CUPCAKES SHOULD NOT BE SERVED TO ANYONE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. We on the store level look like real jerks when people come back to return a stale cupcake that we were forced to sell to them!! The secret to success with a chain is consistency. Different Crumbs stores have different bakeries and none of them are consistent with one another.