Crumbs Bake Shop Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.0
Edward M. Slezak

Pros
  • Free cupcakes although we all knew better that to eat anything (in 18 reviews)

• Free cupcakes and coffee drinks (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management does not listen to a word that employees say (in 10 reviews)

• Pay being reduced, tips taken away no benefits (in 7 reviews)

1. Management debacle

Former Employee - ASM in New York, NY
    Former Employee - ASM in New York, NY

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The "store" employees were more like a family. We all had a great relationship. The work environment at the Broadway store could be relatively hectic and some days absolute hell. The old Manager was amazing. She moved on to corporate. The DM, Dido was also amazing, until she was let go suddenly. I believe there was a lot of confusion in the main office. Policies seemed to change often and store managers tried to keep up. I was surprised when all the stores shut down at once. In the end, the public likes this product and even if the corporate atmosphere is messed up, that can be typical in a large business. It would be nice if they would appreciate the lower scale emplyees, but power and money get in the way. I haven't eaten any cupcakes in 4 years, so I can't comment on the product, buy people still crowd the stores, so they must be doing something right.

Cons

Company policies constantly changing, corporate employees overlooking the needs of store members, too much product waste on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

None. Clearly you know how to make money.

2. Cool Place

Former Employee - Store Manager in Peabody, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Peabody, MA

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

product, DM's were awesome, i was always really happy to come to work, corporate was good at answering questions and emails

Cons

NO STABILITY, no direction, procedures constantly changing

Advice to Management

More like advice to Corporate... get all your things in order before you decide it's a great idea to open 50+ store in one year.

3. Team Lead

Former Employee - Team Leader
    Former Employee - Team Leader

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Coworkers, Friendly Environment, Fair Pay

Cons

Terrible Management, Unorganized, Rushed Enviroment

5. cupcake galore.

Current Employee - Shift Lead- Assistant Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Shift Lead- Assistant Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Crumbs Bake Shop (Less than a year)

Pros

you receive a free cupcake every shift.

Cons

the company itself is inconsistent.

6. I loved my crumbs Family

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Garden City, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Garden City, NY

Pros

The team leads where nice. Close knit

Cons

Didn't have enough workers which meant some worked extra hard not time for anything else.

7. Crumbs Review

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome place to work i loved that it was always a manager present

Cons

pay staff more and have better quality cupcakes.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

8. Basic inexperienced chaos

Current Employee - Team Leader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Crumbs Bake Shop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hourly wage is decent I guess.

Cons

No clear management, literally, I don't have a designated manager. Product is never taught to employees. Hours are always changing. If you want to be left in the dark, never receive 40 hours a week, and be disregarded work here.

Advice to Management

Fix management structure, teach employees, let shift managers actually do some managing.

Nice company, poor management

I have been working at Crumbs Bake Shop part-time

Pros

This place has some very dedicated fans, believe me. Several times a week people will ask us to take out their favorite item so they can snap a selfie with it. It offers employee discounts if you buy the items and there is flexible scheduling.

Cons

When Mr. Lemonis bought the company he wished to expand them beyond traditional cupcakes, which is great. But they should be affordable to people. Price hikes are common and have little or no explanation - we are not even allowed to ticket goods so with the poor signage that is provided very often do people have no idea how much their item is. And that's not even the cupcakes - 4.29 for a tiny brownie? Even more for a pudding cup? We have no control over the prices, which would be great if we could as not all stores are in the fancy money areas and need to be more understanding to survive. The store is often forced to order items that do not sell, many times just because they are pushed on TV. Recent items included biscuits (we sold none) and then a watermelon cupcake which we had to buy for ages - despite that people really, really hated it. I've seen people spit it out. Expensive cupcakes in a jar, you name it. The motto is "baked fresh daily" which is sort of untrue. We do get things in daily but keep things over for a little depending on the item (but always check for freshness - some 3 day old items are fine, and yummy). It is just that the incoming quality changes often. If our bakery has leftovers they'll just ship them the next day and without our care they arrive stale. Also the cupcakes vary in size and decoration styles often and people remark on it regularly. When we ask upper level / senior / district management for things they are clueless. Had problems with bakery cases arriving dirty and nothing. Get so many requests for ingredients, calorie info, things like that, and nothing other than being told what's in the gluten free flour. We lose a lot of sales simply because people need to know certain things and we cannot tell them. We are also forced to have time for breaks removed from our pay, and if we get busy we simply just can't take one. So that money is lost daily. It would also help to have been full time but all positions are part.

Advice to Management

Cut it with the price increases and ticket all goods so folks know cost - it does not matter how many signs you put up (which isn't many) - when people get to the register and discover they have a 4.99 plus cupcake many will and do freak out. On us. Despite the increases the quality if anything has gotten worse on several items according to personal experience and the complaints of multiple customers.

10. It is a decent place but not for a person who isn't willing to kiss behind

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Crumbs Bake Shop part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free cupcakes and somewhat a discount , also some customers you meet makes you day go well

Cons

Having to learn everything on your own no real training just winging mostly everything , lack of communication , disorderly and jealously

Advice to Management

Keep to your words respect ppl how you will like to be respected

11. Back and Better!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

New owners, the new corporate lineup is actually helpful and seems to care about employees, new DM is a realistic person who makes you actually WANT to work for her.

Cons

I've worked here before they closed down and I'm back now and I'm 100% happier with the company already. I do not have any cons at the moment.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! It makes employees work harder when you care and compromise. We all know it's rare in a larger company to get treated like you matter, IT IS APPRECIATED!

RSS Feed </> Embed