Crumbs Bake Shop Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014
1.6

Edward M. Slezak

Pros
  • free cupcakes if they are fresh (in 18 reviews)

• Free cupcakes and coffee drinks (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management does not listen to a word that employees say (in 10 reviews)

• A few weeks ago, I found out I am part time and will receive NO benefits (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Review

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop part-time

Pros

I had a fun time working with my staff but I was lucky. It is a store where you get regulars and it makes a big corporate company feel smaller. ]
    DM always lended a helping hand

Cons

lack of communication with upper management
    high turn over rate
    employee pay is low

Great concept, just so much paperwork

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

free cupcake when working, get to help people smile

Cons

so much paperwork to fill out it when working, takes away from the customer experience when its so busy and you still have to fill out a cleaning sheet or inventory sheet

rethink the glove/sanitary situation, feel as if hundreds of gloves are wasted and its not very efficient having to stop and but on gloves, take them off, wash hands because chalky and then help next customer

horrible....

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Definitely the free starbucks and cupcake each shift

Cons

everything else; overworked (more than 40 hrs. per week part time), horrible management, unsanitary.

closed down

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop

Pros

able to work full-time hours

Cons

no real oppurtunity to grow

Should have listened to Store Managers

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun environment, got to try new flavors, vacation time, holiday pay, great salary.

Cons

Left in the dark a lot, asked managers to come up with ideas to generate revenue and they never incorporated any of them, sometimes cupcakes wouldn't show up.

Doesn't matter, they filed bankruptcy in July 2014.

Oh well

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop (more than 3 years)

Pros

Better product than most keep saying in the news. Management cared a lot about the quality and made it a point to never let us serve something we shouldn't.

Cons

Everything else. Poor pay, poor hours, poor management, and a lot of hard-working people left on the streets because of a combination of such a poorly run company and a greedy little man with a cable news reality show who decided to swoop in through the back (see: Little Miss Muffin). I'm surprised that the last part isn't more obvious to people. While not the cause, he's certainly the final reason why these stores are closed now.

I really hope the few of you who might stay on with the reopening stores change your minds.

A real shame

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent benefits and salary, paid vacation time, easy job, received severance pay when laid off

Cons

The company-wide expectation of managers is to work full shifts alone in the shop, and complete all required managerial tasks while also assisting every customer. It's possible but very counterproductive, and makes it difficult to use the bathroom or eat during a shift without compromising good customer service. It also seemed a little dangerous to me as we live in a world where robberies, mall shootings, etc. are becoming commonplace.

There is no real training program for store managers or team leaders. I was trained by another store manager, who did a great job but there was a lot that I found out through trial and error which could have been covered during my training.

The quality of the product has slipped significantly since I started with the company. Cupcakes are kept for three days, flavors are not as exciting as they once were, and new products are being introduced at BJ's stores but are not sold at actual Crumbs stores. The bakeries are offsite, and there is a serious lack of communication between them and the retail shops. The bakers don't really seem to know what they're doing, and delivery drivers are not careful with their cargo.

Crumbs is currently downsizing. It is understandable, because they are simply not a profitable company anymore. However, their solution is to close stores with no notice given. They did not pay the rent for my store for several months as a way to get out of their lease without paying extra money. I was served a warrant of removal with one day to get everything out of my shop. This was a humiliating experience as there were customers in the store at the time. No one informed my DM of the decision to close my store, and no one on the corporate level bothered to contact me after I found out. After 24 hours of scrambling and back-breaking labor, we closed the shop, leaving behind thousands of dollars worth of supplies and equipment. My DM was very supportive through this process and offered assistance with finding a new job. I did receive two weeks of severance pay and my entire staff received one week of pay, so I really appreciate that and it gave me the time I needed to seek other employment. However this was just not the ethical way to go about closing a business.

Give customers a reason to frequent these stores. There are never any sales, coupons or other incentive for the consumer. THREE DAY OLD CUPCAKES SHOULD NOT BE SERVED TO ANYONE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. We on the store level look like real jerks when people come back to return a stale cupcake that we were forced to sell to them!! The secret to success with a chain is consistency. Different Crumbs stores have different bakeries and none of them are consistent with one another.

Flagrantly irresponsible and incompetent upper management.

Former Employee - Team Leader in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Crumbs Bake Shop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free food, and they took a chance on me by hiring me on as a manager with no prior experience. I think that my fellow team leaders and I did a superb job of running the shop and providing excellent customer service, but that's not what upper management was interested in.

Cons

Upper management doesn't have the faintest clue how to run a business. Period. I really hope that Ed Slezak and Julian Geiger are permanently branded as clueless CEOs and no one lets them near their business ventures. I reached out and e-mailed the guy noting how much product was being wasted and how poorly the shops were being run in an administrative sense and he blew me off. Fortunately, I got out before the mass layoffs and store closings came into full swing, but my colleagues and friends weren't so lucky, ultimately being screwed by a company that didn't care about them in the first place.

Listen to your employees. They're the face of your company. If you don't treat them well or at least acknowledge their ideas, they won't represent your brand well. Manage your finances better too - stop using third-party vendors for everything. It costs too much money to do that these days. Do some things in-house.

New company means constant change.

I have been working at Crumbs Bake Shop

Pros

Good customer service experience, upper management is within reach of all employees

Cons

Being a fairly new business, it is always making changes and management seems to be in and out.

Talk with sales staff more, in addition to management, to see issues from both sides.

Not even working!

Current Employee - Team Lead
    Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at Crumbs Bake Shop part-time

Pros

Free coffee and cupcakes. And the occasional awesome customer

Cons

Company is way over it's head. I haven't even been to work in three days because they can't handle the bakery situation. Managers are working over 50+ hours a week which leaves no hours for anyone else. Dm has been disrespectful of several occasions. Favoritism was shown. Honestly don't know how long I can work there any more

Just give up