Crunchyroll Reviews

Tom Pickett

1. Summer Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Crunchyroll as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Boss was fantastic; open floor plan gave me plenty of access to meaningful feedback and there was a lot of thought and intent behind building the internship to advance my career. Snacks/food was great -- I miss the cold brew coffee a lot -- management (at least from my experience) seemed very focused on getting people access to what they need and then getting out of the way to let people do their work. Good stuff.

Cons

Can't think of any, but that might be due to my relatively short stint as an intern rather than a long-term employee.

Advice to Management

Keep building bridges between departments -- as with any company, it silo-ing of departments is insidious. As the Crunchyroll grows, it'll have to do more to bring people together.

I've been at Crunchyroll for a bit now and it was a fun, fast paced, relatively tiny startup. It's not that anymore.

I have been working at Crunchyroll full-time

Pros

There are some compelling benefits at Crunchyroll, including relatively flexible hours (depending on who your boss(es) are), health/vision/dental insurance, decent pay and a new bonus structure. The work here is interesting, you can work on a variety of projects (again, if your managers let you shift around) and get to work with some really smart people.

Cons

Crunchyroll has had a really hard time with growth in the last year or so. The company has tried to put many (many, many) plans in place in a variety of areas of the company with fairly poor adoption. There is a relatively new product management group, which is a mix of seasoned veterans and people who have been doing this role for less than a year due to migrating from other areas of the company. This has lead to a very sloppy attempt at agile development and many communication woes between stakeholders of various projects. There's also not enough project managers to focus on many pieces of work so they can be spread pretty thin, typically leaving some projects in the dark. The company recently hired a new CEO and CTO, effectively replacing much of the leadership that was already in the company and stepped on a the toes of many people who had been here for a long time. With the new CEO coming on board, the culture of the company is effectively shifting to be a mini-Google, but not necessarily in a good way. It's like trying to make a mid-size startup work like an arm of a giant company. The company is in dire need of more seniority and leadership in most departments, but entirely unaware of how to go about acquiring it. Given that it's grown so much in the last year or so, no lessons were learned along the way for scaling in a reasonable manner. Many new hires were promised stock options at hire but not granted any initial accrual for over a year! On that same note, it took over 8 months to complete a "leveling" structure which effectively pushed everyone into bands that allow the new CEO and leadership to hire in brand new VP level leadership.

Advice to Management

There's too much in flux right now, and too many protocols being put in place. It's disrespectful both of the people who have built the company to it's current state, and to new hires coming into a very confusing environment that is clashing with itself.

Learning a lot, making a lot of friends.

Pros

Great work environment, great perks, great people. Flexible, and in my department, management cares about the things that actually matter without concern over frivolous factors.

Cons

Growing company so it is going through growing pains, but it comes with the territory. Constant flux, so it is difficult to get settled. But that should simmer down soon.

Funnest Company I've Worked For

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Crunchyroll full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, lots of smart creative people, fun events. Really cool products with a huge following. Dog friendly. Very cool new office space on the 7th floor of the Westfield mall. Very open to honest feedback. Lunch and dinner catered 4 days a week.

Cons

Some growing pains. Lacking key technology positions. Benefits are not very competitive. Some folks worn down from too many course changes and emergencies.

Advice to Management

The best leaders are ones who teach others to be leaders. It is very rare to find them. It would be wise to keep them.

6. Awesome culture, great perks, growing rapidly, home away from home.

I have been working at Crunchyroll full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Office culture encourages team members to express their individuality. Lots of great activities including Anime Club, game night, after hours cocktails, and Nerf gun wars. Feel like a majority of the company are passionate about the company's success, and work hard to promote it. Lots of great perks (free snacks, drinks, catered lunch and dinner, commuter benefits, PTO, etc). Seems to be growing very rapidly.

Cons

Like any company located in the heart of San Francisco, public transportation is pretty much the mandatory method of coming to work.

Happy to be here!

I have been working at Crunchyroll full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, and very driven first-class coworkers, what more could you want? Management feels like friends, and inspires you to work as hard as they do! Responsibilities vary, and there is always the opportunity to take on more if you're willing! The best learning experience I've had of any job I've taken since college, and I am finally able to say "I love what I do!" It's a very exciting time to work for CR. They have the industry knowledge, a passionate community following, and an extremely talented team with aggressive goals. I am lucky to be a part of CR!

Cons

A con could only arise if you weren't willing to work hard, and dedicate time to growing this company!

I wouldn't want to work anywhere else!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

Pros

-Great Work Culture/Environment -Management supports employee growth -Management is transparent and keeps us up to date with company goals and progress -Opportunity for advancement -Great location in Downtown SF -Great company perks -ANIME!!!

Cons

-None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Please continue to keep us in the loop. More company outings.

Great Place to Work - High Growth Trajectory!

Pros

- Great People - Care about Culture & Staff - Great Product - Exciting Industry

Cons

- Growing quickly, can often be chaotic and unstructured - Have witnessed lack of accountability on certain staff members

Advice to Management

Continue to work towards complete transparency - it's helping! More accountability for poor performance needed. Clearer structure/goals for teams needed.

Decent experience, but without perks.

Pros

Reasonable amount of freedom, stocked kitchen, flexible working hours, standard benefits.

Cons

Low to no equity, poor promotional ability. No bonuses or extra perks.

GREAT People

Pros

Company has really amazing people to work with - smart and motivated staff Ability to try new ideas and execute on them Work hard - Play hard

Cons

Not always the most organized but we get things done.

RSS Feed </> Embed