Crutchfield

Add Photos

Bill Crutchfield Jr.

Great people, low pay

Writer (Former Employee) Charlottesville, VA

ProsVery flexible, relaxed environment. Very family-friendly. Low-key. It's competitive to get hired but once you're in the door you can choose to retire from this place.

ConsOne of the lowest-paid places I've ever worked, despite my experience. I'd still be there if i could afford to live on that salary.

Poor workflow, poor resource management, closed culture in the outlet store. But there are donuts!

Installation Technician (Current Employee) Charlottesville, VA

ProsAbout 80% of the people were nice. Could be a good long term place to work if you aren't into personal growth, are only looking for a paycheck and are not a woman. Decent benefits. Bill Crutchfield seemed like a nice enough guy.

ConsOffice culture wasn't particularly nice. Sort of a "Good ol' boy" or college fraternity mentality, mostly in middle management. Not very inviting unless you're a guy, and even then only if you play the game. If you do good work in the field, many on the team slack. If you hang back like them, they still slack, but you get overtime. That was literally the advice I was given when I was called an "overachiever." I did my best while there, but there were just parts of the culture that I couldn't understand and/or accept, so I left. If I want a raise, I'll work for it. I don't want to fleece my corporate boss for an extra dime.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate better methods for accountability in your teams. Don't reprimand the entire team when only a few people are not doing their job. Foster open dialog and don't push people out if you don't like what they have to say.

Don't bother, you'll regret it and there are better employers out there! Just another call center nothing more.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Wise, VA

ProsThe steady paycheck, hours were fixed. Of course, that's not the case anymore. Hey if you love making the same wage for about 12 to 15 years this is the perfect place! An annual raise for a non-sales department employee may be as high as $300. The key to working here is to do your job and collect your paycheck. And if you're lucky to have the opportunity, move on to another job. Do not offer suggestions or other improvements because you'll most likely receive a rather derisive reply.

Some of the people are nice but not all (see below).

ConsToo "family friendly" as in they'll hire relatives and even husbands and wives although they work in "separate" departments so that's supposed to be ok. The problem is that it creates an extremely toxic and cliquish work environment. Most of the employees socialize outside of work with each other so the clique is well established. Most of them have worked together more than 10 years. If you do not fit their model you will not enjoy your job. Their model includes taking part in every company function and being very "rah-rah" to the point of being cult-like.

If you aren't part of "Sales" then you don't matter at all and you can be replaced. Web (Internet Sales), Technical Support and Customer Service help keep what seems to be a slowly sinking company afloat. Although, the front line people that work in those departments see very little for the effort. If you are not in Charlottesville you may see Bill Crutchfield for about 30 seconds a year, if that. So, their "we're so connected" to our employees is unfortunately, just not true.

The glossy catalog and website with all of the awards do not match the day to day operations reality. The starting wage in the most recent ad I read online was $8.25/hour (non-sales).

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat upper management? Upper management gives the impression that they are not to be inconvenienced until their personal retirement. The only advice I would offer is to stop hiring relatives of any kind. That's a policy that most companies have followed for many years. I would have other advice but its not worth the time to type it out, it doesn't matter now.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

May Have Lost its Way

Phone Sales Advisor (Former Employee) Charlottesville, VA

ProsCrutchfield is a good company with good people. Bill Crutchfield is a great leader.

ConsThe company seems to have lost its way when it comes to employees. Compensation has been greatly reduced in the past year. For some employees as much as 30%. Also the average workload per employee has risen. More work for less pay is not a winning formula.

Great people, great benefits, great training!

Customer Service (Former Employee) Charlottesville, VA

ProsTraining is great.
    Coworkers are great.

ConsThe pay is... Acceptable

Good balance of work and personal life

Pros+ Very flexible working environment
    + Company really takes care of their employees
    + Use of latest technology in IT

Cons+ Salary not competitive
    + Limited holidays and PTO

Great company, excellent benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAccess to great products and learning opportunities regarding the latest in consumer electronics, good work environment

ConsHigh prices, they don't remain competitve with the big box stores and many people simply shop for the best price

Not what you think

ProsIt will make you look harder for another job.

ConsWhere to begin. Watch your back, co-workers are keeping notes on you. They will be rewarded for their efforts.H.R. are verydishonest. (Quote from HR person)

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the walk,

Great people to work with

Database Administrator (Current Employee) Charlottesville, VA

Pros+ Work environment
    + People
    + Flexibility

Cons+ Salary is not competitive

Decent company overall, but promotions an advancement limited.

In the Trenches (Current Employee) Charlottesville, VA

Proscasual attire, flexible hours, some cool people to work with. good discounts (if you make enough to use it). senior folks can work remotely. haven't had layoffs since opening, though a couple mass firings were rumored layoffs...

would recommend to a friend only in certain departments. The people that get the most exposure get the most pay typically.

Conswages for the "backbone" departments (customer support, tech support) start incredibly low and don't improve much. Unfortunate, because these are really the front line employees that give Crutchfield the ability to advertise "great customer support" and "technical support for life". These departments tend to have a revolving door of new employees and few holdovers that actually know what they're doing. Most of those "lifers" make it impossible for advancement because they hold positions forever, even if their skills have diminished or haven't kept up with emerging technology.

You WILL work weekends there unless you're in IT or upper management. IT 'should' work weekends, that's when stuff seems to break most often (job security I guess). Shifts get better the longer you work there, but the schedules for most are erratic (work til midnight, back in at 8am, etc)

Raises are few and far between, especially since the economy stalled. IF you get a raise, it's not enough to cover inflation.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou know a good employee when you see one, you know a mediocre one too. Pay the ones you want to keep enough that they'll stay around. Instead of hiring numbers, hire quality and keep it there. Who cares if the phones have enough staffing if the people are clueless.

Worked for Crutchfield? Contribute to the Community!