CryoLife Reviews

1. Great entry level position

Former Employee - Production Associate in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Production Associate in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at CryoLife

Pros

The company is generous with paid vacation time and maintains a very ordered, clean environment. Coworkers were very kind.

Cons

Management was fairly brutal to employees, not understanding to specific absence requests, and constantly increase the work load and expectations.

Last ditch technology

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at CryoLife full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

High quality allograft tissue for vascular and cardiac procedures. Virtually no competition. New non-allograft products finally added to rep "bag".

Cons

Years ago this tissue was a staple for vascular recon procedures. With the advent of endovascular procedures and products, the CryoLife vessels are mostly used only as a last ditch effort before amputation, or in the situation of an infected site. Company culture was very strange until a couple of months ago when a new President/CEO came over from Medtronic.

Red tape, reactive, with no strategy

I have been working at CryoLife

Pros

If you like sterile, clean, anonymous work spaces, you'll love CryoLife.

Cons

No strategy, especially in Marketing. The entire company is reactive with a culture of building walls and creating more and more red tape. Furthermore, company policies and human resources feel more like you're working in the 80's with strict dress codes, clocking in and out (even for salaried employees), with no telecommute considerations even for emergencies like office closures.

The deep cultural and managerial issues will take 10+ years to fix. Though to put it all in one word, the company lacks leadership.

Can be rewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at CryoLife full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My department manager is reasonable, personable, and friendly.
    Facility is maintained well.
    Good health benefits and vacation.
    Most employees are smart, fun, and easy to get along with.

Cons

Sometimes I feel like I work for a different company as most departments are not encouraged to work together. Too much paper is utilized, so much so that you can sometimes spend more time completing a worksheet than performing actual work. We waste so much paper due to lack of electronic systems. Top management have been here for years, and despite complaints nothing is done about them. I've witnessed them bullying and intimidating employees. It takes too long to get anything done because of the routing process of a million forms, meetings where nothing is decided, and the need to have other departments sign off on worksheets for equipment they don't use or even know exists. Long and inflexible work hours.

Morale is low because most people are terrified of management. Mistakes/accidents happen but management shouldn't make employees' feel belittled because of human error. Some people are promoted solely because they have been here since the beginning of time and have no managerial skills.

6. "Terrific Entry Level Opportunities for Medical Device Production"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at CryoLife full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A comprehensive training program, great laboratory environment, great location.

Cons

Sometimes the solutions to problems is resolved with a sledge hammer when a simple tap could do.

Production Associate

I worked at CryoLife

Pros

The people are a delight to work with on a daily basis. The coworkers liven up the work environment, making the work go by more quickly. There is definitely a true sense of camaraderie amongst individuals in every department.

Cons

The risk for injury in manufacturing is high, and there were times that workers were made to feel guilty for developing injuries that warranted time off for therapy, etc. Some (not all) of the lower level supervisors had an attitude of entitlement and did not know how to effectively communicate to their peers in an amicable fashion.

The pay could be much better for the nature of work given the revenue produced by sales of the company's product. I think the high turnover rate can be reduced if a significant salary increase were enforced.

Please continue to improve manufacturing techniques that reduce physical stress and strain on employees. I think this will address the overcompensation that some associates face when others heal from minor workplace injuries of muscles and tendons.

Worst Job Of My Career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at CryoLife full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice building. Some friendly people. Great sick policy (if they would actually let you use it).

Cons

Here is my 100% honest review:

You must be clocked in between 8:20-8:30am. Not one minute after or you will be reprimanded. You will be expected to stay as late as needed to get your work done. So if you have children to pick up from daycare or a meeting after work - forget about it. The only people who this does not apply to is management. They are able to leave whenever they want. There is a rule for everything, to the point of absurdity. There is no eating at your desk. You cannot use post-it notes. White-out is a big no-no. Your drinks must have a lid on them. You have to pour your canned sodas into a styrofoam cup with a lid and drink from a straw. You are not allowed to decorate your cubicle in any way. You cannot put any push pins or tape on your cubicle walls - it must be 100% bare. The only allowed plants are company-approved ones. You can only use blue/black ink pens - no gel or felt. You are allowed to have one single picture at your desk, but only if it is in a frame. (I guess you're out of luck if you have more than one kid?) There is no displaying your kid's kindergarten art work or anything from home.

Management is cruel. I have seen multiple people downright bullied, intimidated, yelled at, berated, and intentionally embarrassed in front of other coworkers to the point of tears. Reporting it to human resources is pointless because they only defend the treatment. It is a really sick and unhealthy environment. They seem to sniff out the weakest person and pick on them until they quit or are fired. Then they go onto the next person. There is no equal treatment between peers in the departments. Hopefully, if you work here, you are one of the lucky ones. If not, your work life (and home life, because it carries over) will be miserable.

The company preys on brand new college graduates. They try to grab these kids as quickly as possible, usually even before they actually graduate. This way, they can pay them a nickel on the dollar and they have no work experience to compare this place to. Then they can abuse them and the kids think its great because they have a job, their own insurance, and are making their own money. Little do they know that they are being ABUSED. I feel really bad for these kids because they don't know anything different. There are actually companies out there who will value you as a human being and not rape you of your worth. One day they will learn, I hope.

The work itself is extremely manual and paper-intensive. Everything has to be pushed around to other departments before anything can actually be done. People from another department and whom I have never even heard of have to sign off on equipment that is crucial to my job. It doesn't make any sense. What should take five minutes takes five weeks. (Yes, it really is that bad.) Nothing is streamlined. It is brain-wracking, body-shaking frustrating. If you make a suggestion to change anything, they will have 100 reasons why it can't be done. They have done everything that way for 100 years, and that is the most frequent excuse you will hear to everything.

The company has a great sick policy, but they will not allow you to use it. You will be expected to come to work coughing, sneezing, with a fever, with bronchitis, maybe even with the flu. You get some kind of invisible red "x" if you take a sick day, even though you work with human tissue (!), equipment, and paper all day long. No one will help you with your work while you are out, so most people just come in while they're sick so they don't have to deal with the piled-up aftermath. Vacation is a complete and total joke. They have a standard policy, but it will take all the planets aligning and the wind blowing in a certain direction for you to be able to use it. And when you come back to find all your work from the previous week still sitting there, you will discover that it was not worth taking that vacation in the first place.

My review is 100% honest. Please consider this before accepting a job at this company. Otherwise, consider yourself warned.

Treat your employees with respect.

Great work being performed here, but if you enjoy any flexibility or your family for that matter, AVOID working here.

Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at CryoLife full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Life saving work being performed as this is a tissue (for donation) and medical device facility.

Cons

Management and HR are the worst! There is no flexibility what so ever. I'm in my early 30's yet felt like a child laborer at times. For some reason you MUST be at work promptly at 8:30, you will be shamed and possibly written up otherwise...no flexibility. Everyone is mandated to 'clock in' upon arrival which was unlike any other professional position I've ever had. Finally, HR management is clueless and focused on the wrong things. For instance I was approached regarding a personal phone call to my physician in the hall. I left my cubicle due to the sensitive manner of issues with my health. I worked here 8 months before resigning. I have a BS and MS.

Consider how flexibility and pay increase would help with employee retention. The years of service bonuses are not enough to keep smart employees that know their worth...besides most companies yearly performance bonuses FAR exceed yours. Unfortunately a lot of people haven't worked anywhere else so they think that's a perk.

Rewarding - Great place to work

Former Employee - Quality Control Supervisor - HeRO Program in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Quality Control Supervisor - HeRO Program in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at CryoLife full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Number one pro is knowing that your efforts, no matter how small or how large, are helping to improve, extend and even save the lives of other people. It is a secure, clean, well organized and efficient place to work. I enjoyed my time with them very much; I also enjoyed working with the people I came to know; and wish them all the very best.

Cons

There are no cons; it just isn't for everyone; it takes the right person to work for CryoLife. You need to be the right kind of employee for them and they also need to be the right kind of company for you.

Keep up the great work!

Production Associate - Not worth the BS

Current Employee - Production Associate in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Production Associate in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at CryoLife full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's easy work most of the time. Wonderful sick policy.

Cons

Lower and Middle management are totally awful in the Bioglue department. They make what could be an alright position absolutely miserable. They are miserable, sad people that want everyone else to be as miserable as they are.

This is advice to upper management: Seniority shouldn't be EVERYTHING. You have promoted some of the worst people (slowest/rudest/meanest) to be supervisors and managers. Being able to stick around for 8+ years doesn't mean that they are qualified to lead. Ask their subordinates why. They can tell you.