CryoLife Reviews

1 Rating

1. Company that really makes a difference - New CEO seems good

Current Employee - Dissector in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Dissector in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at CryoLife part-time

Pros

You're part of a company that makes products that help so many people. The new CEO is bringing a good attitude and making smart decisions. They are stressing more on training now which is great.

Cons

High turnover rate in the Tissue Processing Lab but I think it's getting better now with the new changes.

Advice to Management

Efficiency in communications to the other employees.

2. Microbiologist

Pros

Nice people to work with.

Cons

Pay is terrible and barely enough to live off of with student loans. Not enough desk space

Advice to Management

Increase pay and get enough desk space for everyone.

3. Research Associate I

I worked at CryoLife full-time

Pros

Made great coworkers and got to learn some high level scientific concepts and research techniques.

Cons

Communication, clear direction and management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees ideas.

5. Microbiologist

Former Employee - Microbiologist in Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Microbiologist in Alameda, CA

I worked at CryoLife (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to get experience in a quality control laboratory. Everyone works very hard to complete the daily work plus do side projects. Great training program, with many different procedures to learn and perform. Can be a lot of variety in the day.

Cons

Low pay. Long hours performing extremely repetitive tasks. Not enough desk and lab space to accommodate all of the work and staff. Low morale.

Advice to Management

The lab has outgrown it's space. Update the technology to reduce the workload on the people. Better pay will increase morale.

6. Supervisor

I worked at CryoLife full-time

Pros

Decent benefits, lots of autonomy, good vacation plan

Cons

Benefits not good compared to other companies, lots of confusion

Advice to Management

Promote your bright minds, don't just look at years of experience

Low Pay, High Demand

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at CryoLife full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Vacation plan is the only good thing about the company. Local proximity to highway, shops and restaurants is great for being in the suburb. New CEO has a vision, finally someone with leadership skills.

Cons

Management spends so much time in meetings that they ignore their staff and have no clue or don't care about how the day-to-day is going. Managers all throughout the company are very unaccessible due to overbooking of meetings. The human resources department is useless and unfriendly. The supervisor writes up your review but HR can and will change it in order to suit their financial desires to downgrade a raise or chance for promotion.HR should not be allowed to edit your work performance review when they don't even know your name, clearly they don't know your performance. Benefits are not up to par with society and current trend, too costly for what is received. No transparency within company. Too many hush-hush activities.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring and promoting staff who has years for employment versus skill and knowledge. Just because someone has no ambition to better their career and has been employed for years without making a dent in the overall workload doesn't mean they should get a promotion. Time invested with an employer doesn't necessarily mean they're qualified to lead a team. Promotions should be based on skill, knowledge and productivity.

Research Associate

Former Employee - Research Associate in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at CryoLife full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great company for individuals seaking exciting projects, a comfortable work environment, and some room to grow within your respective field. There are also many kind and hardworking people within the company.

Cons

Some corporate policies are outdated which can result in unnecessary stresses both inside and outside of the workplace. Corporate hours are a strict 8:30-5:30 with a one hour lunch. I found this to be a point of contention for most, as it made meeting the needs of their personal lives difficult (picking kids up from daycare/completing continued education/going to events for family, friends, and children). I've heard that many managers allow leniency in order to elliviate some of this. Unfortunately, it's difficult to monitor for the people who inevitably take advantage of this type of leniency when it's being granted on a hushed case-by-case basis. I found this resulted in some workplace tensions, with some working less and their coworkers having to pick up the slack. Financial assistance offered to those continuing their education is really very low. If your interested in working while going for a Master's or PHD you should certainly consider all options - many places will cover most if not all of the costs within a more reasonable timeframe.

Advice to Management

In my time at Cryolofe I found there to be a lot of fluctuation in workload across many of the departments. There would be days/weeks where I noticed a lot of people moving more slowly, spending more time in the break areas or having drawn out personal conversations, and not necessarily for lack of work. Then there would be a few weeks/months of high stress where people were forced to work late to meet deadlines (I was told on more than one occasion from people in other departments that they were assigned manditory overtime). Certainly, work ethic and time management are both issues here, but more often than not I was surprised by how few managers discouraged that overly relaxed professional behavior. Prehaps managers are talking with the regular offenders in private, or perhaps they don't notice - many are very busy. Unfortunately, I felt the need to wear headphones throughout my entire workday to drown out the distracting personal conversations around me and/or to politely signal that I wasn't interested in chatting.

Great entry level position

Former Employee - Production Associate in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Production Associate in Kennesaw, GA

Pros

The company is generous with paid vacation time and maintains a very ordered, clean environment. Coworkers were very kind.

Cons

Management was fairly brutal to employees, not understanding to specific absence requests, and constantly increase the work load and expectations.

Stressful but interesting work

Former Employee - Lab Trainee in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Lab Trainee in Kennesaw, GA

Pros

Very hardworking coworkers (on certain shifts), great pay on top of differential and over time, benefits, interesting work that helps sick people, off for three days

Cons

I want to try and be honest as possible with this review and my feelings on this position at this Cryolife. This was a bitter pill for me to swallow since I have done well in previous jobs and had high hopes for this one. This is a very stressful position since you must deal with sensitive materials and the way the people around you react. Documentation is extremely important here due to the nature of the position and if you are a person who makes a lot of errors you will be heavily reprimanded. This includes intimidation and embarrassment in order to correct employees such as handing out packets that make you write our your name over and over to calling over other trainees to make an example out of you. This creates an extremely tense and stressful environment with little to no understanding of mistakes or errors. You are encouraged to speak up if you need more time with training something but when you do supervisors will get upset and make you feel incompetent. There are long hours (11- 12 hrs) on all shifts. Some shifts tend to slack off leaving work for another shift to pick up. Different shifts do things differently from what the standard operating procedures dictates causing confusion and mistakes. There also seems to be a problem with favoritism with the supervisors comparing employees to one another, it is a very high school mentality. To me this was an interesting and disappointing experience but this was not the place for me and I am thankful I left when I did. If you can deal with an high stress environment, long hours and high expectations of almost perfection you will be rewarded with great pay and invaluable skills. If not I would look else where.

Advice to Management

Do not use fear and intimidation in order to correct an employee if they are having a hard time sit them done and discuss it with them. Have supervisors go through some sensitivity training. Don't be so obvious in your favoritism toward one employee or another it will only breed contempt.

Last ditch technology

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at CryoLife full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High quality allograft tissue for vascular and cardiac procedures. Virtually no competition. New non-allograft products finally added to rep "bag".

Cons

Years ago this tissue was a staple for vascular recon procedures. With the advent of endovascular procedures and products, the CryoLife vessels are mostly used only as a last ditch effort before amputation, or in the situation of an infected site. Company culture was very strange until a couple of months ago when a new President/CEO came over from Medtronic.

RSS Feed </> Embed