CryoLife

CryoLife Chairman, President, and CEO Steven G. Anderson
Steven G. Anderson

Can be rewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at CryoLife full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My department manager is reasonable, personable, and friendly.
    Facility is maintained well.
    Good health benefits and vacation.
    Most employees are smart, fun, and easy to get along with.

Cons

Sometimes I feel like I work for a different company as most departments are not encouraged to work together. Too much paper is utilized, so much so that you can sometimes spend more time completing a worksheet than performing actual work. We waste so much paper due to lack of electronic systems. Top management have been here for years, and despite complaints nothing is done about them. I've witnessed them bullying and intimidating employees. It takes too long to get anything done because of the routing process of a million forms, meetings where nothing is decided, and the need to have other departments sign off on worksheets for equipment they don't use or even know exists. Long and inflexible work hours.

Morale is low because most people are terrified of management. Mistakes/accidents happen but management shouldn't make employees' feel belittled because of human error. Some people are promoted solely because they have been here since the beginning of time and have no managerial skills.

"Terrific Entry Level Opportunities for Medical Device Production"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at CryoLife full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A comprehensive training program, great laboratory environment, great location.

Cons

Sometimes the solutions to problems is resolved with a sledge hammer when a simple tap could do.

Production Associate

I worked at CryoLife

Pros

The people are a delight to work with on a daily basis. The coworkers liven up the work environment, making the work go by more quickly. There is definitely a true sense of camaraderie amongst individuals in every department.

Cons

The risk for injury in manufacturing is high, and there were times that workers were made to feel guilty for developing injuries that warranted time off for therapy, etc. Some (not all) of the lower level supervisors had an attitude of entitlement and did not know how to effectively communicate to their peers in an amicable fashion.

The pay could be much better for the nature of work given the revenue produced by sales of the company's product. I think the high turnover rate can be reduced if a significant salary increase were enforced.

Please continue to improve manufacturing techniques that reduce physical stress and strain on employees. I think this will address the overcompensation that some associates face when others heal from minor workplace injuries of muscles and tendons.

Worst Job Of My Career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at CryoLife full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice building. Some friendly people. Great sick policy (if they would actually let you use it).

Cons

Here is my 100% honest review:

You must be clocked in between 8:20-8:30am. Not one minute after or you will be reprimanded. You will be expected to stay as late as needed to get your work done. So if you have children to pick up from daycare or a meeting after work - forget about it. The only people who this does not apply to is management. They are able to leave whenever they want. There is a rule for everything, to the point of absurdity. There is no eating at your desk. You cannot use post-it notes. White-out is a big no-no. Your drinks must have a lid on them. You have to pour your canned sodas into a styrofoam cup with a lid and drink from a straw. You are not allowed to decorate your cubicle in any way. You cannot put any push pins or tape on your cubicle walls - it must be 100% bare. The only allowed plants are company-approved ones. You can only use blue/black ink pens - no gel or felt. You are allowed to have one single picture at your desk, but only if it is in a frame. (I guess you're out of luck if you have more than one kid?) There is no displaying your kid's kindergarten art work or anything from home.

Management is cruel. I have seen multiple people downright bullied, intimidated, yelled at, berated, and intentionally embarrassed in front of other coworkers to the point of tears. Reporting it to human resources is pointless because they only defend the treatment. It is a really sick and unhealthy environment. They seem to sniff out the weakest person and pick on them until they quit or are fired. Then they go onto the next person. There is no equal treatment between peers in the departments. Hopefully, if you work here, you are one of the lucky ones. If not, your work life (and home life, because it carries over) will be miserable.

The company preys on brand new college graduates. They try to grab these kids as quickly as possible, usually even before they actually graduate. This way, they can pay them a nickel on the dollar and they have no work experience to compare this place to. Then they can abuse them and the kids think its great because they have a job, their own insurance, and are making their own money. Little do they know that they are being ABUSED. I feel really bad for these kids because they don't know anything different. There are actually companies out there who will value you as a human being and not rape you of your worth. One day they will learn, I hope.

The work itself is extremely manual and paper-intensive. Everything has to be pushed around to other departments before anything can actually be done. People from another department and whom I have never even heard of have to sign off on equipment that is crucial to my job. It doesn't make any sense. What should take five minutes takes five weeks. (Yes, it really is that bad.) Nothing is streamlined. It is brain-wracking, body-shaking frustrating. If you make a suggestion to change anything, they will have 100 reasons why it can't be done. They have done everything that way for 100 years, and that is the most frequent excuse you will hear to everything.

The company has a great sick policy, but they will not allow you to use it. You will be expected to come to work coughing, sneezing, with a fever, with bronchitis, maybe even with the flu. You get some kind of invisible red "x" if you take a sick day, even though you work with human tissue (!), equipment, and paper all day long. No one will help you with your work while you are out, so most people just come in while they're sick so they don't have to deal with the piled-up aftermath. Vacation is a complete and total joke. They have a standard policy, but it will take all the planets aligning and the wind blowing in a certain direction for you to be able to use it. And when you come back to find all your work from the previous week still sitting there, you will discover that it was not worth taking that vacation in the first place.

My review is 100% honest. Please consider this before accepting a job at this company. Otherwise, consider yourself warned.

Treat your employees with respect.

Great work being performed here, but if you enjoy any flexibility or your family for that matter, AVOID working here.

Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at CryoLife full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Life saving work being performed as this is a tissue (for donation) and medical device facility.

Cons

Management and HR are the worst! There is no flexibility what so ever. I'm in my early 30's yet felt like a child laborer at times. For some reason you MUST be at work promptly at 8:30, you will be shamed and possibly written up otherwise...no flexibility. Everyone is mandated to 'clock in' upon arrival which was unlike any other professional position I've ever had. Finally, HR management is clueless and focused on the wrong things. For instance I was approached regarding a personal phone call to my physician in the hall. I left my cubicle due to the sensitive manner of issues with my health. I worked here 8 months before resigning. I have a BS and MS.

Consider how flexibility and pay increase would help with employee retention. The years of service bonuses are not enough to keep smart employees that know their worth...besides most companies yearly performance bonuses FAR exceed yours. Unfortunately a lot of people haven't worked anywhere else so they think that's a perk.

Rewarding - Great place to work

Former Employee - Quality Control Supervisor - HeRO Program in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Quality Control Supervisor - HeRO Program in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at CryoLife full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Number one pro is knowing that your efforts, no matter how small or how large, are helping to improve, extend and even save the lives of other people. It is a secure, clean, well organized and efficient place to work. I enjoyed my time with them very much; I also enjoyed working with the people I came to know; and wish them all the very best.

Cons

There are no cons; it just isn't for everyone; it takes the right person to work for CryoLife. You need to be the right kind of employee for them and they also need to be the right kind of company for you.

Keep up the great work!

Production Associate - Not worth the BS

Current Employee - Production Associate in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Production Associate in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at CryoLife full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's easy work most of the time. Wonderful sick policy.

Cons

Lower and Middle management are totally awful in the Bioglue department. They make what could be an alright position absolutely miserable. They are miserable, sad people that want everyone else to be as miserable as they are.

This is advice to upper management: Seniority shouldn't be EVERYTHING. You have promoted some of the worst people (slowest/rudest/meanest) to be supervisors and managers. Being able to stick around for 8+ years doesn't mean that they are qualified to lead. Ask their subordinates why. They can tell you.

Very unfulfilling place to work

Former Employee - Senior Dissection Technician in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Dissection Technician in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at CryoLife full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The job itself is extremely personally fulfilling. Employees are creating products that save and enrich lives every day. Multiple shifts per day to choose from.

Cons

Management has no interest in respecting or fostering a positive work environment for technical staff to create a worthwhile business environment. Pay rate is disappointing and is not consistent with positions in the same field at similar companies. Employees are paid on a manufacturing scale, not a healthcare scale where technicians are exposed to bloodborne pathogens each day handling life saving human allografts. My salary as an administrative assistant with another company was higher than my salary after 3 years of employment and acting as a senior dissector at CryoLife. There is no emphasis whatsoever on life-work balance. Technical staff is expected to place their work life above everything else and be available to the company whenever it is demanded of them. Whether it is a harship to the employee or not. The majority of the technical staff are new graduates who have zero experience working in a professional environment. Thus, the work experience in those areas of the company can feel very clique-ish and many employees are immature and create and environment that feels like being in "high school" again.

Create a more team oriented atmosphere where employees feel invested in the company and their opinions and ideas valued. From the technical staff to the managers...instead of just considering the opinions of those (managers) who aren't even performing the work involved in keeping the company operating. Less power to the chiefs, more power to the indians.

Great coworkers, great hours, decent pay

Current Employee - Microbiologist Technician II in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Microbiologist Technician II in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at CryoLife full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great lab experience, FDA experience, benefits, and coworkers, overtime pay

Cons

Underpaid in my opinion, night shift has more work with less people but is more "relaxed"

CryoLife offers a multitude of experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at CryoLife full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Personal growth, vast opportunities to learn, you aren't pigeon holed into one aspect of the position.

Cons

Top down decisions, training opportunities, interview process.