Cryptic Studios

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Cryptic Studios full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work life balance
    Solid benefits and compensation
    Nice area to live

People are very friendly and we have board game nights, a large game lounge, company trips to the movies etc.

Cons

Very expensive Area to live
    Building is a little grungy
    Game engine is all in house so it has a pretty steep learning curve.

Keep up the good work

Dim outlook for this company

Current Employee - A Job in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - A Job in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Cryptic Studios full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some awesome people that work here.
    The products are world wide known.

Cons

The company has taken a turn to not caring about customer service and extorting more and more money from those that use its products. Soon it's managed games will have to start charging a subscription fee which will drive off existing users and detract new ones. There are constant bug reports from users which aren't taken seriously. The list goes on.

Start treating customers like they matter. Stop making your products so unattainable by price and fix the bugs before releasing them to the public. You money grubbing attitudes will cost all of us. I fear for my longevity with this company as it looks to be headed towards bankruptcy or sale.

Cryptic is an excellent developer capable of doing an astonishing amount of good with surprisingly little support.

I have been working at Cryptic Studios full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has opportunities across development, design, production, art, audio, and publishing. If you want to do it, chances are you can. If you're good at it, you'll excel. Lateral movement is common and career progress is a given for capable workers.

Cons

Proprietary tech can be a barrier to entry and may be holding back projects. Cryptic has, for years now, been beholden to third-parties who just don't operate as well as Cryptic.

Great Company, Amazing People

I worked at Cryptic Studios

Pros

Some of the best, most talented people around. Comparatively decent work/life balance.

Cons

Corporate overlords add unnecessary anxiety to the company, but don't detract as badly as at other larger places.

Diversify. MMOs are a dying breed. Start a mobile team and experiment.

Love Cryptic

I worked at Cryptic Studios

Pros

Great group of guys and very nice environment. They have been good about not crunching us too much. It is nice sized in that it is small enough to still have a big impact but large enough to be stable and have a few perks.

Cons

The only reason I left Cryptic was because I could get more money elsewhere. I still miss working at Cryptic and if they could pay more I would probably go back.

Awesome co-workers, vague direction

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Cryptic Studios full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting people to work with. Flexible hours. Good health insurance. Dog friendly office. Cool IPs to work on. Powerful and flexible game editor for content design--one of the best I've seen.

Cons

Disorganized. Management constantly changing & constantly changing their minds. The company cares a great deal about creativity, but puts almost no value on management skills. This ends up creating extra work and plenty of false starts. Also poor on communication. Low end of the salary range.

One of the best jobs I ever had.

Current Employee - Lead FX Artist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Lead FX Artist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cryptic Studios full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart and talented coworkers
    excellent development process
    cool fun projects
    bonus gifts and events

Cons

Limited opportunity for advancement
    Cost of living in the Bay Area

Help employees to continue to grow beyond their current competencies, especially if you expect them to... And if you delegate responsibility, it also means that you need to let go of some creative control.

I enjoyed my time in several departments and would work there again, if it weren't for being in CA.

Former Employee - Network Operations Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Network Operations Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Cryptic Studios full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with, great culture, felt like family, promotes from within, excellent industry perks, accessible management

Cons

Typical game dev volatility, shifts in executive management over the course of time there, location, occasionally volatile personality conflicts.

Keep asking for feedback, and keep making people feel like they matter. Always be honest with employees about outlooks and performance.

horrible

I have been working at Cryptic Studios

Pros

good people at the bottom. great place to work techincally, some of the best engineers I've worked with in my career

Cons

people with no understanding of quality or how to make good products on top. performance measured by nepotism and egos, not actualy skill

try to develop a culture that cares about quality and making good products. study the state of the art, try to catch up.

Not Customer Service Oriented

Former Employee - Customer Service Management in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Management in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Cryptic Studios

Pros

Cryptic Studios is a typical game company combining a lot of "play" with the work. Movie days, Star Trek showings at lunch time, etc. This all makes for a fun environment to be in.

Cons

The company looks only as salaries not contributions when budget cuts are made. You could have two people doing the same job and one barely works the other spends night and day there, but which ever made more money when it was time to cut someone loose would always be the one to leave.

Value the knowledge and contributions of your employees. Look at what your getting for you $$ before deciding that the largest salary is the one that needs to leave.