www.crypticstudios.com

Jack Emmert

Current Employee - Senior Game Designer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Game Designer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Cryptic Studios full-time

Pros

The environment favors autistic people who own dogs. It's quiet, socializing seems to all MTG games or Netrunner games, people would rather work than wander around the office and chat. The games are not designed as clickbait or to maximize profits. The goal, as told to the employees, is to make a good game that the fans want to support by buying things, rather than a scam to siphon money from people. This is an important point.

Cons

Compensation seems to be slightly low.

Team has very little flexibility on it's own, most decisions must go through Perfect World Entertainment.

Former Employee - QA Tester in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - QA Tester in Fresno, CA

I worked at Cryptic Studios as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The working environment at Cryptic Studios is generally okay. People are friendly, people are dedicated to their work, and all are striving to improve their respective products.

Cons

Cryptic Studios needs to be able to stand on it's own two feet more. Perfect World Entertainment may own the company, but it is the studio who get's all the backlash from players who are upset, by the decisions that were ultimately made by Perfect World management.
    Additionally, developers (not just public relations, community management) need to be more open and communicative with the players, both on the current state of the games, as well as plans for the future.

Listen to your players more. While there are a small amount of very vocal "haters" on the game forums, most are generally quite caring about the game. They often have very good suggestions on potential improvements to the game. Focus more on what your players want, not just what your bosses at Perfect World Entertainment wants.

Dim outlook for this company

Current Employee - A Job in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - A Job in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Cryptic Studios full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some awesome people that work here.
    The products are world wide known.

Cons

The company has taken a turn to not caring about customer service and extorting more and more money from those that use its products. Soon it's managed games will have to start charging a subscription fee which will drive off existing users and detract new ones. There are constant bug reports from users which aren't taken seriously. The list goes on.

Start treating customers like they matter. Stop making your products so unattainable by price and fix the bugs before releasing them to the public. You money grubbing attitudes will cost all of us. I fear for my longevity with this company as it looks to be headed towards bankruptcy or sale.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Cryptic Studios full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work life balance
    Solid benefits and compensation
    Nice area to live

People are very friendly and we have board game nights, a large game lounge, company trips to the movies etc.

Cons

Very expensive Area to live
    Building is a little grungy
    Game engine is all in house so it has a pretty steep learning curve.

Keep up the good work

Cryptic is an excellent developer capable of doing an astonishing amount of good with surprisingly little support.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Cryptic Studios full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has opportunities across development, design, production, art, audio, and publishing. If you want to do it, chances are you can. If you're good at it, you'll excel. Lateral movement is common and career progress is a given for capable workers.

Cons

Proprietary tech can be a barrier to entry and may be holding back projects. Cryptic has, for years now, been beholden to third-parties who just don't operate as well as Cryptic.

Great Company, Amazing People

I worked at Cryptic Studios

Pros

Some of the best, most talented people around. Comparatively decent work/life balance.

Cons

Corporate overlords add unnecessary anxiety to the company, but don't detract as badly as at other larger places.

Diversify. MMOs are a dying breed. Start a mobile team and experiment.

Love Cryptic

I worked at Cryptic Studios

Pros

Great group of guys and very nice environment. They have been good about not crunching us too much. It is nice sized in that it is small enough to still have a big impact but large enough to be stable and have a few perks.

Cons

The only reason I left Cryptic was because I could get more money elsewhere. I still miss working at Cryptic and if they could pay more I would probably go back.

Awesome co-workers, vague direction

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Cryptic Studios full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting people to work with. Flexible hours. Good health insurance. Dog friendly office. Cool IPs to work on. Powerful and flexible game editor for content design--one of the best I've seen.

Cons

Disorganized. Management constantly changing & constantly changing their minds. The company cares a great deal about creativity, but puts almost no value on management skills. This ends up creating extra work and plenty of false starts. Also poor on communication. Low end of the salary range.

One of the best jobs I ever had.

Current Employee - Lead FX Artist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Lead FX Artist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cryptic Studios full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart and talented coworkers
    excellent development process
    cool fun projects
    bonus gifts and events

Cons

Limited opportunity for advancement
    Cost of living in the Bay Area

Help employees to continue to grow beyond their current competencies, especially if you expect them to... And if you delegate responsibility, it also means that you need to let go of some creative control.

I enjoyed my time in several departments and would work there again, if it weren't for being in CA.

Former Employee - Network Operations Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Network Operations Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Cryptic Studios full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with, great culture, felt like family, promotes from within, excellent industry perks, accessible management

Cons

Typical game dev volatility, shifts in executive management over the course of time there, location, occasionally volatile personality conflicts.

Keep asking for feedback, and keep making people feel like they matter. Always be honest with employees about outlooks and performance.