Cryptic Studios Reviews

Reset
2.7
Jack Emmert

Love Cryptic

Pros

Great group of guys and very nice environment. They have been good about not crunching us too much. It is nice sized in that it is small enough to still have a big impact but large enough to be stable and have a few perks.

Cons

The only reason I left Cryptic was because I could get more money elsewhere. I still miss working at Cryptic and if they could pay more I would probably go back.

Cryptic is an excellent developer capable of doing an astonishing amount of good with surprisingly little support.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Cryptic Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has opportunities across development, design, production, art, audio, and publishing. If you want to do it, chances are you can. If you're good at it, you'll excel. Lateral movement is common and career progress is a given for capable workers.

Cons

Proprietary tech can be a barrier to entry and may be holding back projects. Cryptic has, for years now, been beholden to third-parties who just don't operate as well as Cryptic.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Cryptic Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance Solid benefits and compensation Nice area to live People are very friendly and we have board game nights, a large game lounge, company trips to the movies etc.

Cons

Very expensive Area to live Building is a little grungy Game engine is all in house so it has a pretty steep learning curve.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Excellent place to work.

I have been working at Cryptic Studios (More than a year)

Pros

My experience at Cryptic has been almost exclusively positive. Management is receptive to feedback and most of the employees have a very strong team-oriented attitude. I see little of the workplace drama that I've experienced at many other companies. Much less mandatory overtime than many other game developers.

Cons

Not enough staff for the QA department. Like many other companies in the industry, QA has few advancement options unless they leave the department - and not everyone can get that opportunity.

I enjoyed my time in several departments and would work there again, if it weren't for being in CA.

Former Employee - Network Operations Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Network Operations Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Cryptic Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, great culture, felt like family, promotes from within, excellent industry perks, accessible management

Cons

Typical game dev volatility, shifts in executive management over the course of time there, location, occasionally volatile personality conflicts.

Advice to Management

Keep asking for feedback, and keep making people feel like they matter. Always be honest with employees about outlooks and performance.

One of the best jobs I ever had.

Current Employee - Lead FX Artist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Lead FX Artist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cryptic Studios full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart and talented coworkers excellent development process cool fun projects bonus gifts and events

Cons

Limited opportunity for advancement Cost of living in the Bay Area

Advice to Management

Help employees to continue to grow beyond their current competencies, especially if you expect them to... And if you delegate responsibility, it also means that you need to let go of some creative control.

Great Company, Amazing People

Pros

Some of the best, most talented people around. Comparatively decent work/life balance.

Cons

Corporate overlords add unnecessary anxiety to the company, but don't detract as badly as at other larger places.

Advice to Management

Diversify. MMOs are a dying breed. Start a mobile team and experiment.

9. Cryptic Studios

Current Employee - Senior Game Designer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Game Designer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Cryptic Studios full-time

Pros

The environment favors autistic people who own dogs. It's quiet, socializing seems to all MTG games or Netrunner games, people would rather work than wander around the office and chat. The games are not designed as clickbait or to maximize profits. The goal, as told to the employees, is to make a good game that the fans want to support by buying things, rather than a scam to siphon money from people. This is an important point.

Cons

Compensation seems to be slightly low.

10. Cryptic Art Department

I have been working at Cryptic Studios full-time

Pros

Very friendly, low stress, highly collaborative environment. Great area, talented team, fun work place.

Cons

Sometimes the project scope can be mismanaged, but this isn't usually a problem. Tools are pretty dated, lots of technical debt.

Advice to Management

Try to listen to new opinions, and don't be afraid to take chances on new projects or new ideas.

11. Great Company, so-so publisher

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Cryptic Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great wages, good community, good people.

Cons

Perfect World (their publisher) is not the best around. Their studio in Redwood City is an inefficient mess, and it tends to impact Cryptic employees more than it should.

Advice to Management

Work to further shield employees from PWE's mistakes.

RSS Feed </> Embed