Crystal Equation Reviews

1. VP of Nothing

Current Employee - Vice President of Nothing in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President of Nothing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Crystal Equation

Pros

Modern family Boutique Consulting firm were all company venues lead to success if you wish to be very independent and not be micro-managed.

Cons

It's a highly competitive gl;obally based business were as the internet expands the competition increases. Playing at this level is not for everybody -

Advice to Management

Always strive to be the best you all can be and never give up - grow with the current 21st century expansions of the " Internet of Things"........do not become victims and live in the now

HIRED AS A CONTRACTOR

Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Crystal Equation

Pros

It was easy to work for Crystal because they are located in Chicago, IL. and I was able to understand the recruiter. Starting pay was fair. My recruiter worked quickly to secure my position with a telecom provider. I was able to work remotely.

Cons

I never heard from my recruiter after I got the job. Only person I ever talked with was the admin person. I was told I could request a pay increase after 1 year of work and that was a lie. My request was denied and the only person I ever had contact with regarding a pay increase was the Admin Support person. I wasn't able to present my case for an increase in pay. As it was I was working OT without getting compensated because the client did not allow OT, yet the job required it frequently.
    They provide no holiday pay. They provide no paid vacation days, even after I'd been with them for a year. They do have a health plan and a 401k but don't offer any match on the 401k, so basically no paid benefits.

Let me just say that I worked for TEK Systems in the past. TEK stayed in contact with their contractors on a monthly basis. I could call and talk to my recruiter whenever I needed. The recruiter got together with his contractors every other month and took us out for lunch and asked for feedback... how things were going.... any complaints, concerns etc.

At Christmas we went out to lunch, received a card thanking us for all our work and a small present.
    I got paid holidays and vacation after a year of working for them. I got time and a half for overtime. TEK appreciated their contractors.

I never got the feeling that Crystal Equation appreciated anything. When my contract was terminated by the client, they never even thanked me for all the work I did for them.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your contractors. Treat them better and appreciate all their efforts.
    You make money because of us and start offering them some real benefits.. like paid holidays and vacation.

Strictly sales

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Crystal Equation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a free lunch and you can wear whatever you choose.

Cons

Basically if you are into sales and technology go for it. If you are a recruiter then run far away. You sign a offer letter to work 8-5 but if you leave at 5 and don't make calls on the weekend they pretty much have a heart attack. You are one of 40ppl working on the same position and calling through the same ppl. You receive a hour lunch but realistically you only take about 20mins. The worst of it all there is a 6month evaluation period and not 90days. Even if u get a offer u work like a slave and only get $250 for a hire throughout those entire 6months and you probably won't get a hire until your 6th month.

Advice to Management

Be honest when hiring. Tell future employees real expectations and what they will be doing daily. That this a sales position and not recruiting.

5. Wonderful company

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Rolling Meadows, IL

I worked at Crystal Equation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- The company culture here is the best I have ever been apart of
    - Open door policy- if you have a suggestion- they listen
    - team oriented- everyone wants to help and you can ask anyone for help
    - can make a lot of money
    - tons of room for growth

Cons

- things change a lot- its a growing company and has to continue to change with it
    - not conventional- if you get offended easily- dont work in sales
    - long hours

Advice to Management

- Keep asking the recruiters how things are going, and what you could do to make the process easier and more efficient

6. Excellent and challenging sales environment

I have been working at Crystal Equation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working here for a while and I think this is the type of sales environment I can be proud to call my home. I learned more about life and business than I learned in books in classes...that's for sure. I feel like I can joke around with people, but at the same time, we have no problem huddling up and taking on really challenging projects. Sometimes, clients call us and want a lot of skilled people very fast, and I was taught to be a champion salesperson here. I know I can lean on a team of really knowledgeable managers but they've helped me grow more than anywhere else I've been. I see Crystal Equation as a place I will keep growing and I can see myself developing my career with Executives that actually ask me what my goals are.

Cons

There are a lot of people who complain under their breath about doing work and blame other people. Guys, it's sales...if you don't like it don't take a sales job. The only other issue I see is that we need healthier lunches working in Chicago.

Advice to Management

I would say to have more bonding events where we can meet everyone on the company. Those are actually very helpful and made me feel like I could put faces to the names.

7. Evolving company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Crystal Equation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are interested in technology, Crystal Equation is a great staffing firm to work for. I enjoy talking about technology, and I get to do it everyday. The office culture is very friendly; you can say what's on your mind, and you are heard! If you're looking for a 'corporate company', Crystal Equation is not the place. It's considered 'boutique' for a reason!

Cons

The hours are long. If you want a set schedule, this may not be good for you. C'mon it's sales!

Advice to Management

Continue to evolve. Recent changes have been great and I look forward to the future!

8. Armpit of recruiting world...

Former Employee - IT Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - IT Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Crystal Equation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No dress code. A place to learn the business if new to IT. Provided with all the recruiting tools necessary to succeed.

Cons

Everything else. Low commission pay outs as compared to the rest of the industry. Zero new business development & no client relationships. Everything you work on is a VMS blackhole. Untrained management. Unprofessional working environment. Healthy change never occurs. Ideas are implemented whimsically for a few weeks & then forgotten about before their impact can be measured.

Advice to Management

Learn tact & how to properly develop employees. More aggressively diversify the client base.

Worst staffing firm

I have been working at Crystal Equation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can dress however you may like. Besides that there is no pros

Cons

Psycho owner, dog eat dog management, very dirty office, a ton of lewd jokes

Worst place to work for in chicago

Advice to Management

Worst management team I have ever been apart of

Crystal Equation Response

Apr 21, 2014President & CEO

I am very interested to hear some ideas on positive changes we can make from your point of view. I would encourage you to speak to me directly about any concerns you are having with the team. Since ... More

Decent company with recruiter follow up and feedback regarding status of opportunities submitted to

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Crystal Equation as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Offer benefits but very expensive, good follow through and communication prior to the contract offer.

Cons

Once an offer is made no contact and offer no other incentive for long term rolling contracts that are extended over the initial contract dates. They will not negotiate any pay increases even if the scope of work changes during the term of the contract.

Advice to Management

Offer long term contractors some type of incentive that will include paid holidays or vacation days based on the length of service. Make an effort to extend the employer/contractor relationship beyond phone calls and email.

11. IT recruiter

Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Crystal Equation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch everyday. Family like environment. They work with great companies, which makes them more attractive to get clients. They have two offices where they are flexible on which one you can choose to work at.

Cons

I felt they were weak on the training side. First day of training consisted of reading a 180 page handbook, to become familiar with the kind of services they offer and how to engage a client. Then you shadow a team member for 1 hr or so, then you hit the phone and that is it. Good Luck! how are you suppose to be successful in a new industry with no proper training.

Advice to Management

Better training program. Don't scream out things while people on the phone trying to do business. IT UNPROFESSIONAL!