Crystal Equation

Christine Terman

Wonderful company

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Rolling Meadows, IL

I worked at Crystal Equation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- The company culture here is the best I have ever been apart of
    - Open door policy- if you have a suggestion- they listen
    - team oriented- everyone wants to help and you can ask anyone for help
    - can make a lot of money
    - tons of room for growth

Cons

- things change a lot- its a growing company and has to continue to change with it
    - not conventional- if you get offended easily- dont work in sales
    - long hours

- Keep asking the recruiters how things are going, and what you could do to make the process easier and more efficient

Strictly sales

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Crystal Equation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is a free lunch and you can wear whatever you choose.

Cons

Basically if you are into sales and technology go for it. If you are a recruiter then run far away. You sign a offer letter to work 8-5 but if you leave at 5 and don't make calls on the weekend they pretty much have a heart attack. You are one of 40ppl working on the same position and calling through the same ppl. You receive a hour lunch but realistically you only take about 20mins. The worst of it all there is a 6month evaluation period and not 90days. Even if u get a offer u work like a slave and only get $250 for a hire throughout those entire 6months and you probably won't get a hire until your 6th month.

Be honest when hiring. Tell future employees real expectations and what they will be doing daily. That this a sales position and not recruiting.

Excellent and challenging sales environment

I have been working at Crystal Equation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been working here for a while and I think this is the type of sales environment I can be proud to call my home. I learned more about life and business than I learned in books in classes...that's for sure. I feel like I can joke around with people, but at the same time, we have no problem huddling up and taking on really challenging projects. Sometimes, clients call us and want a lot of skilled people very fast, and I was taught to be a champion salesperson here. I know I can lean on a team of really knowledgeable managers but they've helped me grow more than anywhere else I've been. I see Crystal Equation as a place I will keep growing and I can see myself developing my career with Executives that actually ask me what my goals are.

Cons

There are a lot of people who complain under their breath about doing work and blame other people. Guys, it's sales...if you don't like it don't take a sales job. The only other issue I see is that we need healthier lunches working in Chicago.

I would say to have more bonding events where we can meet everyone on the company. Those are actually very helpful and made me feel like I could put faces to the names.

Evolving company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Crystal Equation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are interested in technology, Crystal Equation is a great staffing firm to work for. I enjoy talking about technology, and I get to do it everyday. The office culture is very friendly; you can say what's on your mind, and you are heard! If you're looking for a 'corporate company', Crystal Equation is not the place. It's considered 'boutique' for a reason!

Cons

The hours are long. If you want a set schedule, this may not be good for you. C'mon it's sales!

Continue to evolve. Recent changes have been great and I look forward to the future!

Armpit of recruiting world...

Former Employee - IT Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - IT Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Crystal Equation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No dress code. A place to learn the business if new to IT. Provided with all the recruiting tools necessary to succeed.

Cons

Everything else. Low commission pay outs as compared to the rest of the industry. Zero new business development & no client relationships. Everything you work on is a VMS blackhole. Untrained management. Unprofessional working environment. Healthy change never occurs. Ideas are implemented whimsically for a few weeks & then forgotten about before their impact can be measured.

Learn tact & how to properly develop employees. More aggressively diversify the client base.

Worst staffing firm

I have been working at Crystal Equation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can dress however you may like. Besides that there is no pros

Cons

Psycho owner, dog eat dog management, very dirty office, a ton of lewd jokes

Worst place to work for in chicago

Worst management team I have ever been apart of

Crystal Equation Response

Apr 21, 2014President & CEO

I am very interested to hear some ideas on positive changes we can make from your point of view. I would encourage you to speak to me directly about any concerns you are having with the team. Since ... More

Decent company with recruiter follow up and feedback regarding status of opportunities submitted to

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Crystal Equation as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Offer benefits but very expensive, good follow through and communication prior to the contract offer.

Cons

Once an offer is made no contact and offer no other incentive for long term rolling contracts that are extended over the initial contract dates. They will not negotiate any pay increases even if the scope of work changes during the term of the contract.

Offer long term contractors some type of incentive that will include paid holidays or vacation days based on the length of service. Make an effort to extend the employer/contractor relationship beyond phone calls and email.

IT recruiter

Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Crystal Equation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free lunch everyday. Family like environment. They work with great companies, which makes them more attractive to get clients. They have two offices where they are flexible on which one you can choose to work at.

Cons

I felt they were weak on the training side. First day of training consisted of reading a 180 page handbook, to become familiar with the kind of services they offer and how to engage a client. Then you shadow a team member for 1 hr or so, then you hit the phone and that is it. Good Luck! how are you suppose to be successful in a new industry with no proper training.

Better training program. Don't scream out things while people on the phone trying to do business. IT UNPROFESSIONAL!

It's all you, baby

Current Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Crystal Equation

Pros

An enormous amount of autonomy and ability to run your own desk. If you know what you're doing, nobody will stand in your way. Unlike some agencies, CE boasts an enviable degree of client contact; account managers can really make things happen, which mitigates the "black hole" downside of VMS recruitment. If you're comfortable running your own desk 100% of the time, you'll do quite well here. There's unlimited income potential and everyone helps each other - it's fiercely competitive and still wonderfully cooperative. No backstabbing. Christine Terman is brilliant and everyone adores her - the same goes for almost everyone in management generally. The inmates run the asylum in a good way; I'm friends with my boss and his boss and his boss and neither gives me any BS. Mistakes are treated as training opportunities.

Cons

The culture is not for everyone. Lots of screaming, yelling, drama and HR-unfriendly talk among certain elements of senior management.

The hours are brutal. 8-6 M-F looks doable on paper, but there's also no lunch break. Make sure it's okay with your significant other if you gain 20 pounds and can't do after-work errands.

Consider teleworking opportunities. It's worked for other firms. Your recruiters already work from home fairly often; why not reward responsibility with one WFH day per month for top producers? This is an easy way to alleviate stress, increase warm-fuzzies, and attract and retain new talent.

Challenging in a good way.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Crystal Equation

Pros

People - very team oriented, Rewarding

Cons

Sometimes long hours and it is hard work

Always remember that it is the team that gets us there not just an individual. Crystal does that now and I hope that continues