Crytek Reviews in Germany

Updated August 4, 2014

2.7

Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli
Cevat Yerli

Pros
  • The teams are great and there are many talented people around - we just need to make the most of it (in 9 reviews)

• You can learn a lot and get great experience which will help you in future in your career (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Awful management from the very top, to all the inept middle management (in 7 reviews)

• Communication from upper management to the devs is often poor (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

31 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Awesome company, awesome co-workers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I have been working at Crytek full-time

Pros

I am very clad and proud to be a member of the Crytek-Team.
    - You never get bored
    - Nice colleges.
    - chance to go to expos
    - you have a lot of freedoms, like bring your dog with to work or start your work at 10.
    - Awesome IT Support
    - you have free drinks and coffee.
    - watching fifa world championship with colleges in the lounge.
    - if you join to the company you will get a company appartment for the first month.
    - you have a free / full paid Job Ticket.
    - a there are a lot more Pros.....

Cons

Cons.... right now there are no cons which i could write down here....

Keep on rolling and never give up !!!

Trust us. Don't do it.

Current Employee - Lead Designer  in  Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
    Current Employee - Lead Designer in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I have been working at Crytek full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some success in the 2000's meant that a lot of smart people were attracted to the company. It's always good to be working with smart people.

However, those days are over.

Cons

Everything has been covered in previous reviews. I just want to add to the pile to further discourage anyone else to move their family to Frankfurt only to spend a couple of years banging their head against a brick wall.

This is a company with 3 CEOs who are brothers who never talk to each other or align on anything. What's more is that they hover to high above the day-to-day and have plainly lost interest in the company.

This is a company that hemorrhaged staff during the first half of this year. First the managers, most of whom were key architects of the recent and public gong show, then the talent. The only people who remain are those that didn't act quickly enough, and those who should be fired and never should have gotten through the door to begin with.

This is a company that still sits on the laurels of Far Cry and Crysis and doesn't foster any internal criticism of their art and tech driven approach to games.

This is a company that split between people who are content to keep making tech demos and those who want to ride the free-to-play special bus.

I was fortunate enough to get out early and land a job at quite possibly the greatest studio in the industry and through this I have seen the light of what is possible with a culture that encourages hash critique and would never release a game that is anything but a fun-filled extravaganza.

I don't think Glassdoor would approve the language I want to use here.

Beating a dead horse

Current Employee - Animator  in  Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
    Current Employee - Animator in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I have been working at Crytek full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Crytek used to be all about doing awesome looking semi-open world or so-called "sandbox" games. That was a nice DNA that employees enjoyed working on as they had something to be proud of.

The city and the employees at Crytek are great, there are still a few very talented people. However after several months of disrespect and neglecting from the upper management, the lower employees moral is totally destroyed. If you add on top of this a totally wrecked reputation for the studio, you can imagine the situation...

Crytek is usually a good place to start your carreer, as they recruit a lot of juniors. This can also be a negative point and shows that the company simply can't hire seniors anymore.

Cons

The owners of this company are utterly incompetent, to the point it's even surprising the company still exists. I actually regret that the company didn't go bankrupt (yet), because having these people still in charge of so many lives is just scary. Of course a bankruptcy would have been hard for several employees, especially the ones with families, but in the long run, it would certainly be safer for all of us if those people (and their Ferraris) were far away from us.

Many top ranked Crytek employees already left the boat a few months ago, and the bleeding of talents continues and can't be stopped anymore. No one wants to work on sub-par f2p projects that are barely successful and no one with a bit of pride wants to be part of a sinking ship. During those weeks of bad press, half the company was interviewing, so we can expect that Crytek will soon be a talentless studio, with a vast majority of subpar employees. The clock is ticking...

The studio at the moment is a terrible working environment. The lack of information in the past months destroyed the remaining bits of the company culture. It's just very hard to wake up and go to work these days.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Crytek, the wild west of creative freedom for those who are proactive.

Current Employee - Senior  in  Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
    Current Employee - Senior in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I have been working at Crytek full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Crytek has always been, and still is one of the best places to start your career in the games industry if you are from Europe. The Frankfurt studio is also a prime location for people from overseas who want to experience Europe and do some traveling while they are here.

If you like boring, then Crytek is not for you. It's a wild place and it may be difficult for some people adapt to it.
    But if you're smart and proactive you can do a lot and gain a lot. I've been at Crytek for several years and have gained an incredible amount of experience and knowledge.

Creative freedom:
    Some disgruntled employees will disagree with me here for sure.
    Creative upper management (including the CEO) can be brutal when it comes to making creative changes during the peak of production. When this happens there is always opportunity for dialogue and alternatives. And it is especially during these, that competent developers can take creative control.

In general, if a developer has a great idea he/she gets the opportunity to prototype it and present it. I've seen this even happen during the most critical times of a production. And it has often improved or saved game features.

Cons

Communication from upper management to the devs is often poor. That being said, if you are proactive you can simply walk into the CEO's office and ask him whats up.

System support is pretty wild as well. However, I've managed to get stuff from them that I would never in million years get in another company. They build all of the workstations themselves. This has pros and cons.

HR is... doing the best they can. They are incredibly friendly and helpful, but again, you have to be pro-active.
    In my opinion, they are understaffed.

The salaries are simply not competitive. If you decide to get a job at crytek, make sure you negotiate a good salary. This is one major area where they can improve. That being said, I am personally satisfied with my salary.

Improve communication to the developers. Make salaries more competitive.

Was good, but became Meh...

Current Employee - Developer  in  Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
    Current Employee - Developer in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I have been working at Crytek full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

By working at Crytek you can meat great people. You can learn a lot and get great experience which will help you in future in your career.
    You can attend conferences and invest in your knowledge so project you are working on can benefit from it.

Cons

Horrible IT helpdesk. Most horrible ever. Sometimes HR not helping, but prevents.
    I don't get middle management at all. Very controversial decisions. Too many layers. Too many wrong people holding key positions and making irrational calls. In case of severe problems - leaving company first.

Change middle management. They will ruin this company.

Great Company - Great Games

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I have been working at Crytek full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

CryEngine, Sandbox
    Great Team members
    Free selectable job direction.
    Many talented people!
    Good office atmosphere

Free Drinks, Free Gym, Free Diner when Crunchtime. Free Presents in Xmas. Awesome Parties.

Cons

Too many Project Managers (Thats not really needed)
    Many people think that they are the bosses in the company.
    Yerli's doesnt react on those problems! They don't have an overview about the Company!
    Some bad Guys laughing to your face but speaking bad about your back!
    You can trust in wrong peoples! Be careful!
    You need to be a BIG Mouth!

The emperor's new clothes

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I worked at Crytek full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some very good people working there, to clear up the messes of others. Couple of amazing programmers who saved the day so many times. Games do end up looking amazing.no expense spared on the project

Pay was pretty good, free travel pass/gym membership.

Didn't feel too much like a paranoid games company, felt like you were left to get on with it.

Cons

Crytek seem to believe their own hype and think they're kings of the world.

They give off the impression of being a aaa studio but I've never seen such a badly run studio. Egos so big that certain people would refuse to be in the same room for meetings. Complete lack of information sharing, due to petty feuds.

I'm amazed any games have managed to get finished with the amount of chaos and disorganisation. So many layers of bad management doesn't help matters. So easy to hide behind your management role and not actually do anything.

People need to stop checking their work email while in meetings, it's a bit rude!!

Is the engine actually that good? Always felt like everything had to be a hack to get it working. The main concern was big numbers, high poly count over performance. A simple but good solution would never do.

Most people seemed more concerned with the next crytek t shirt than actually making a decent game

Total lack of information coming down to staff. If salaries were to be late nothing would be announced....

Free to play.....sustainable for a company of almost 200 people?

Lose the company arrogance, clear out a load of the chaff and get some new script writers

The Icarus-Titanic Syndrome

Current Employee - Manager  in  Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
    Current Employee - Manager in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I have been working at Crytek full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

+ There are a few extremely talented people at Crytek who surprisingly manage to get things done, especially programmers and artists in the Frankfurt and UK studios.

+ The lower employees, the people who actually make the games, are very nice and definitively humbler than the owners.

+ Having Crytek on your resume is still well considered and can open you many doors, at least for artists and programmers.

+ Career opportunities can be very good at Crytek. It is possible to change direction/team/department without having to quit.

+ It is very easy to get hired. The requirements are low, no matter the position (also a negative point).

+ The work/life balance is alright. The Ryse crunch wasn't as bad as people might think, except for a handful of people who really did work their *** off. When teams are in pre-production or between project, it is actually very relaxed.

+ The studio is well located near the city center. It used to be in some dodgy suburbs.

+ Frankfurt is a great international city with a beautiful skyline and lots of places to visit and hang around with friends and colleagues (parks, river, bars, malls, etc.).

+ Germany has very good infrastructures: great public transport and top notch health care system. Yes, I could go to the doctor and get a treatment for $0!

Cons

- The owners seem to have totally lost control of the whole thing. As already said time and again, the company grew way too fast: too many studios not shipping any game for years (or working on low profile games for too long). There is a huge lack of focus and a LOT of money is wasted.

- In the past year, the communication became awfully terrible since the company is not successful anymore. During high growth, the owners were very voluble, whereas now they rarely talk to the teams directly and thus rumors are often getting out of control. There used to be some sort of intermediary upper management, to connect the teams with the CEOs, but they all left eventually. As a middle manager, it is very hard to talk to the owners. Sadly, if salaries would be delayed or worse, the lower employees would be the last ones to be informed.

- There is an obvious lack of direction. In the past 2 years, the CEO promised several times the dev teams they could work on new projects, only to cancel those a few months later and to disrespectfully split these teams. Therefore the level of trust in the CEO is now very low. The destruction of the Crysis team for instance is one of the collateral damage of this lack of vision. Eventually, highly talented designers, artists and managers ended up on subpar projects or are used as insourcers. Crytek used to be a visionary leader in the industry, these times are over. For these reasons, many strong talents are leaving the boat.

- The owners seem to only believe in F2P or the X-as-a-service buzzword; however, most employees think it is an unproven business model. How can a huge studio like Crytek, with hundreds of employees, make the transition from AAA to self-published F2P (efficient for very small teams) without trouble and without firing anyone? Only the owners seem to know a solution… though they won’t tell us about it.

- The negativity among the teams is extremely high these days. The company culture is totally wrecked and the nearly inexistent HR department is not doing anything to improve the situation. Splitting the 2 main dev teams in Frankfurt and randomly shuffling them every once in a while didn't improve things. All that shuffling makes people feel like they are easily replaceable these days.

- Sadly, there is an obvious disrespect for quality, as (short-term) financial "success" seems to be the only thing that matters. I heard Crytek used to aim for a Metacritic score above 90 with Far Cry and the Crysis games before I joined, but these times are definitively gone. Thus, since a couple of years, it became very hard to hire seniors, especially oversea, as the studio lost some of its appeal for creative people (game/level designers and artists).

- Salaries are decent for Germany, good for Europe, but very low when compared to the rest of the industry. After tax, it is easily 20% to 40% lower than Canada, UK and USA. Income and social taxes are insanely high in Germany! If you make a decent 50K per year, you'll have to give 45% back to the government... so you won't have a lot of money left after tax. But at least you'll get a great healthcare system and decent social protection.

- The office in Frankfurt is quite terrible. The old air conditioners are constantly malfunctioning, some areas are too warm and others are too cold... Warm sunny days can be painful in the office, nearly 85 degrees, if you sit in the wrong corner of the building. No cafeteria, no place to rest or play games, tiny kitchens, frequently out of order bathrooms... In addition, there is no proper decoration whatsoever, except for some small poster or cardboard cutouts. It's a very sterile work environment, definitively one of the worst (western) game studio I have seen in my life.

- The overall reputation of the company is hurt: low quality games, poor game design, lack of respect for the gamers and amateur dev communities, terrible licensing support and documentation, etc. The engine itself still has a good reputation, though the architecture, the tools and the art pipeline didn't evolve much since the Crysis 1 era. Epic and Unity already caught up and outclassed us when it comes to tools and pipelines. However, rendering is still an area where Crytek is outstanding.

I hope the owners will find a solution! It used to be a good company, things can be turned around!

Improve the communication.
    Tell the teams about the long-term goals.
    Stop ignoring us, so we don't have to write glassdoor reviews anymore...
    Regain the trust of your employees. Telling the truth is always better than lying or making untenable promises.
    Provide higher compensations and pay the long awaited bonuses.
    Improve the office infrastructure.

Crytek is a great company to work.

Current Employee - Grapics Designer  in  Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
    Current Employee - Grapics Designer in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I have been working at Crytek full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Very talented people good programmer and maybe the best engine for games.

-Crytek pays good salary though the German taxes suck.

-Free drinks, free Gym, free public tranportations, free fruits

-very good parties

-nice atmosphere to work

-regularly trips to conferences and learning developments

Cons

You have to work hard!!

Please keep the ball rolling.

Crytek - The Little Engine That Could

Current Employee - Senior Programmer  in  Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I have been working at Crytek full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

How many companies can say they're consistently the best in the world at something? Crytek is the place to be for engineers, artists and animators.

Many departments will give a talented individual as much responsibility as they can take and keep smiling. Competency floats fast, talented juniors go through trail-by-fire and can end up industry-leading veterans in 1/4th the time of other companies. Crytek has still has some of the industry leaders and trend-setters when it comes to art and animation technologies, it's an open environment where enthusiastic people can learn from the best and thrive.

When you're the best in the world at something, people come to you, there's always some crazy, unthinkable deal or impossible task that gets struck or championed.

Great office. Great mentors and work environment. Hourly paid overtime. 20+ holidays. 1 year max paternity/maternity leave. Free dinner when working. In house masseuse and hair dresser.

Cons

Compensation is high for Germany, but low for AAA game development. No pension plan, no contribution matching, no vesting equity, no bonuses, no profit sharing.

Crytek has had trouble growing/attracting passionate game designers and creative directors, not to say they aren't trying.

It's like the wild west, people do what they want to do, and there is very little support structure. This is great when everyone is a hard-working professional, but it's an environment where disruptive or manipulative people can really ruin everyone's day.

Hire and empower leaders. There's so much opinion and noise, but no one empowered to do anything.

Look at results. Evaluate people by what they do, not what they say.

Make the hard decisions that are needed, or hire someone to do so.

Worked for Crytek? Contribute to the Community!