www.crytek.com

Updated January 19, 2015
2.5

Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli
Cevat Yerli

Pros
  • The teams are great and there are many talented people around - we just need to make the most of it (in 11 reviews)

• You can learn a lot and get great experience which will help you in future in your career (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Awful management from the very top, to all the inept middle management (in 8 reviews)

• The hate against the upper management (the owners) is indescribable (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Many people writing reviews and not seeing the bigger picture

I have been working at Crytek full-time

Pros

They do a lot for their employees and if you are motivated enough you can survive the current bad press. Its the games industry - there are ups and downs. The teams are great and there are many talented people around - we just need to make the most of it.
    Many creative people and of course some, that have less socials skills than others - but that's variety and what makes it interesting.
    The brothers are working on it and people can see that they are under a lot of pressure.

Cons

We lost many good people but still have enough people trying to turn things around. Reading other reviews is sad as we have people writing the reviews that are unhappy with the situation but also not in the position to get all information from upper management. Which is normal! This is how business work.
    Still, the current atmosphere is tensed. It will be better.
    And yes, if you need help you have to ask - sometimes twice - as these are difficult times for everyone and every department. So cut your co-workers a little slack. If you show commitment, it is always rewarded in the end (whereas: not by more paid days off or money. Sadly).
    So big con: Not enough vacation days! 24 should be minimum and would definitely lighten the mood.

More company meetings or face to face talks with the departments. This will relief some pressure and might lighten the atmosphere as all employees seek more transparency (which of course is only possible to a certain degree - this must be understood by all).
    There are many good people and if you see that they are important (even PMs as there are people who can't do the job but its needed!) and value them, they might be more supportive. Commitment needs a fair chance.
    Also: You hired people for a certain job as they are the professionals. Please don't cut in their decisions. Bigger picture for management and employees to be minded! We can't all be good in everything and need trained people to make decisions. (Still: Not by everyone)

Company gambles with the salaries and lives of its employees

I worked at Crytek full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-The pay isn't that bad
    -There were some fun office perks like free coffee and drinks (but that's pretty much expected these days)
    -The developers really care about the projects they're working on

Cons

The company is managed horribly. Take a look at the recent bad press and realize that everything being said is true. For a long period, Crytek stopped paying its employees and just kept saying "Thank you for your loyalty as we move through this difficult time." Any company that can't pay its employees on time is a company you don't want to work for. There's also been a mass exodus of talent that's going to really hurt Crytek's ability to put out quality products.

Overhaul the way you do business. And stop trying to brainwash your employees by saying things like "We have a plan," and "We can see the whole picture." Just admit that you made a horrible (and unforgivable) mistake by betting your employees would work for free while you get all the benefits.

Best company I worked for!

Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I have been working at Crytek full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- innovative direction
    - state of the art technolgy
    - challenging projects
    - invests in high end
    - give people the right opportunity
    - great talent
    - very focused

Cons

- too much innovation might be a bit risky

more young talent with good senior leadership and trust them like you did in the past with Far Cry and Crysis.

Good place to enter industry but not the right place to stay

I worked at Crytek full-time

Pros

Not much if you compare them with others, either standard stuff or none.

Cons

Looks like nobody know where it headed. So company survived last crisis, but when to await next?

Once had a huge potential to be a great company (not by the sheer number of employees worldwide)

I worked at Crytek full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've spent several years at the company and believe that I've learned a lot on how to do and how not to do things. Met many great people, made new friends and connections. I had a chance to work on many great projects which contributed a lot to my career and I'm wholeheartedly thankful for that.

I truly enjoyed and appreciated many opportunities which I had because of working at Crytek!

Cons

Crytek was a very good studio to work at for many years, but leadership competence didn't grow the same way like the sheer number of employees and studios. On top of that, after seeing the success of early games hubris, greed and arrogance started to take over in senior management. The company made pretty much all the mistakes out there to loose top talents, waste money and to loose trust of employees, investors and potential business partners. It'd be a great case study for many business books. The book "How the mighty fall" by Jim Collins could have been written about Crytek.

Occasionally they really hired the appropriate people who could have made a real, meaningful change and improve the company or the games. But systematically, they did not let them do their job. I guess because that would have meant that they admit that they are not the best anymore which is conflicting with what is on their minds about themselves.

It's a shame as Crytek had all the potential, opportunity and talent to be a great company in all regards for many years, but the owners were more busy posing themselves and showing off instead of being humble, honest and respectful great leaders and too blind to realize that they should have just move back a little, go to party and live their high life and let the pros make them rich.

Good thing is that many of the ignored talents are filling in high positions successfully at other companies by now - which is a great service to the game industry!

Stop being overly confident and arrogant. Familiarize yourself with such words as "emotional intelligence", "respect", "self awareness" and so on. Start to respect competition, people, their work and listen to those around you...not the loudest ones and the ones you like having a party with, but the ones knowing how to do their stuff. Hire better leaders then you are (yes, for this you'll need to realized that you're not the best first which will be extremely difficult for you). Respect competition and once you realize that there are better companies out there, learn from them. Focus on what you're good at which is Tech and Art not games.

not sure where it's going

I have been working at Crytek full-time (more than a year)

Pros

once open a time that was fun , with flat hierarchy.

Cons

lost almost all good people
    nobody knows what's going on ?

One of the "wurst" studios in Europe

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I worked at Crytek full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The studio is financially stable; at least they've been able to pay for the salaries without delays in the past months in Frankfurt. However this came at the price of terrible sacrifices, i.e. firing people, cancelling projects, closing the US studio, selling the UK studio to Koch Media and seeing dozens of talents and veterans leaving the company.

Good perks are free entrance to Fitness First (gym) and free public transport ticket in the Frankfurt area including the airport. I won't mention the free drinks because I don't know a single studio in the game industry that doesn't offer it... Additional benefits of living in Germany are very good healthcare, strong protection for the employees and good infrastructure; it is one of the better places in the world to raise a family.

So many people left the studio that the number of opened positions in Frankfurt is embarrassingly high and seems to increase week after week (50 jobs at the moment!). The studio is looking for pretty much every imaginable position; it might be good opportunities for juniors from Europe and Eastern Europe who want to have a look at free to play development in a former AAA studio. No need to mention that recruiting anything above junior/regular has been extremely hard after the bad press regarding the deep financial troubles of the studio.

In the past year, there has been very little to no crunch at all. The reason? There is no publisher anymore asking Crytek to meet deadlines. This is actually a terrible thing for the studio because it is since then in a constant state of procrastination. There won't be an EA or a Microsoft pushing Crytek anymore to surpass itself. Prepare yourself for mediocre productions at best...

The salaries are fine for Germany but cannot compete with UK or US salaries because taxes are very high in Germany (around 45% in average). And don't expect bonuses, the company is still on a financial diet.

Cons

Salary delays, no more focus on technology, disrespect for employees, entire and radical re-focus on free to play only, terrible handling of studio closures, lies in the press, etc. The list of cons and wrongdoings is very long.

One important point that is often omitted is that Crytek lost two of their most creative studios: the former Free Radical Design (Crytek UK) and the former Vigil Games (Crytek US). Sadly, these were the only studios that could have helped Crytek to produce original and fun games, because they were not directly under the (un)creative pressure of the German headquarter. The way these 2 studios were let go was terrible and highly disrespectful, with very little information for the lower employees, constantly postponed salaries, etc. As a result, the Frankfurt studio is sentenced to recycle former projects over and over again.

Another major problem is that in that the core team from Crytek (aka the "Crysis team") has been split, shuffled around, reorganized and split again countless times over the past year. Results: many of these veterans left the company. Dozens of leads, principals, directors and seniors quitted, to the point the company cannot replace them anymore. I remember a meeting where one of the owners said it was "easy to replace people", after the head of HR quitted. Sadly, the owners did not understand that having a strong core team was important and that recruiting new people was incredibly more expensive than keeping its current employees satisfied.

The strength of Crytek was its engine. However, after so many key members of the R&D department left (most technical directors, graphics lead, physics lead), there is very little hope to see a new groundbreaking CryEngine any time soon. The Engine as a Service is also very disappointing in terms of revenue as the studio is unable to convince indie developers to use CryEngine instead of Unreal 4 or Unity.

Most employees are very angry against the owners regarding the management of the studio and the handling of the past crises. It seems like those 3 brothers totally lost interest in the business; to the point certain people believe that the mishandling of the studio is meant to get rid of all employees without having to pay a single severance package. Working for Crytek feels like being trapped in limbo, either working on boring projects or being stuck in a constant state of pre-production without hope of seeing the project entering final production.

All this is very sad. Wasting so much potential should be a crime.

Sell the company before everyone left, except if this is exactly what you're looking for.

Brilliant at first but something wasn't right on the design team.

Former Employee - Environment Artist in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Environment Artist in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Crytek full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome company to grow as an artist.

Cons

Poor management. Designers feeling unappreciated.

I think it's too late.

Used to be a great place...

Current Employee - Regular Programmer in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
    Current Employee - Regular Programmer in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I have been working at Crytek full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work with many nice people
    Good opportunities to climb up
    Free drinks and free gym
    Good central office location in Frankfurt
    Less stress since the last games shipped

Cons

Lost focus on creating games
    Every week they lose employees who quit to move elsewhere
    Most of the people are pessimist about the future projects
    Used to be a great place to be. Now it's just sad

At this point just sell everything and move on

There is a picture coming.

Current Employee - Animator in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
    Current Employee - Animator in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I have been working at Crytek full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The last 6 monthes were really hard. We had a lack of information in the past however management held up a company meeting and showed us their strategy for the next years. There seems to be a way out to the future. I'm now working since 8 years for Crytek. I like Frankfurt and doing my job as it is.

Cons

There are till too many project managers. Lack of information from upper management in the past. The growth was too fast.

Be more informative.