Cub Foods

Keith R. Wyche

Cashier

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Shorewood, MN

ProsThe other employees and most of the customers are really nice. I enjoyed the people I worked with very much. There are always new kids coming in as cashiers, and there are a lot of opportunities for promotion if you do a good job and will be working there for a while. I saw people go from cashier to self-checkout supervisor to customer service desk over the course of a few months. Also, I was able to get days off very easily when I asked for them.

ConsI tended to get more hours than I wanted, and always long shifts on Saturdays and Sundays which was a bummer because I couldn't go to church. And schedules come out on Fridays for the following week; I only knew my hours for Sundays two days in advance. My schedule was never consistent from week to week, making planning things with friends/school/etc ahead of time (unless there were a few weeks in which I could request a particular day/time of day off) impossible. My boss was nice, but a little scary when she was stressed, and always busy doing one thing or another. I was a shy high school student, and couldn't muster up the courage to talk to her if there was something I needed, like less hours. (Most of the time, though, she was very accommodating to me.)

Drastic Changes, Corporate Management that won't listen

Department Manager (Current Employee)

ProsWorking with people, helping people.

ConsUnrealistic standards, unrealistic expectations. Dark clouds always following above you if you do something wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your store management teams and employees. Our goal is to sell Groceries, and make the company profitable. You've taken a simple job and turned it into a corporate nightmare. Good people are leaving and will be leaving due to the companies inability to let their employees thrive with creativity and to do what is right for their store.

Customer Service

Customer Service (Former Employee)
    Bloomington, MN

ProsRelatively easy place to work. Nice coworkers. Good for a short term job.

ConsNot a good place to build a career anymore. Most full time positions are being changed to include Sundays as a regular work day with no extra pay. Rate of pay for full time promotion has decreased as has the top pay for full time. Full time very hard to achieve. Too political. Required to work most holidays now. No benefits for anyone who works less than 30 hours a week and most part time are given less than 30 hours a week. Still required to pay union dues even though you don't get benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to fix what isn't broken. Stop taking and taking from your employees. Happy employees are good workers.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It destroys your sanity

ProsReally good pay for part-time work. Good benefits, somewhat flexible hours.

ConsManagement is terrible, there's always a struggle between management and workers. Unrealistic expectations. Inconsistent policies. Favoritism is too common. People don't get recognized for hard work, only when they make mistakes. There is no incentive to do your best because promotions are seniority based. Too many people are unwilling to help coworkers. Terrible communication from corporate/upper management and employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at which employees are actually doing the work and not just those who are willing to gossip with you. Make your employees feel like they actually make a difference in the company. Stop telling the workers that they aren't good enough.

Have been a loyal member of the team for over 10 years

Department Manager (Current Employee)
    Blaine, MN

ProsGreat pay and benefits for both full-time and part-time employees

ConsNot enough career opportunities for advancement, not enough ongoing training and education incentives, difficult to make transition from store level to corporate level positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better at finding and keeping your dedicated talented and motivated employees and develop and reward them not give promotions based on seniority. Need more work life balance, being open on every holiday is not supporting the value that Cub cares about family. Also have a better system in place for reporting issues with upper management, since the removal of HR at store level this is difficult and nearly impossible. Some upper management should not have the job they have, neither their qualifications nor their character co-inside with Cubs overall business strategy or the values and mission statement.

Well experience

ProsGreat pay with benefits.
    Flexible hours.
    Able to move within the departments.

ConsDealing with high school students that there job is not their first priority.
    Lots of changes.
    Not the best communication between management/corporate and the employees at store level.

Advice to Senior ManagementChances of advancing to management is slim. Also limited full time.

It was overall a positive experience, I would recommend someone else to work there.

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Maple Grove, MN

ProsThey have a very flexible schedule, good benefits, and very friendly people to work with.

ConsThere is heavy weekend scheduling, heavy holiday scheduling, and a lot of evening scheduling, especially if you're new.

Nice people, not great policies.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice coworkers. Somewhat flexible schedule. Working in a department was *far* better than working the front.

ConsWork hours scheduled to give someone the minimum breaks allowed (ex: people were supposed to get breaks every three hours, so they would schedule people for 5.5 to avoid that). Policies made it so that you had to kiss the customer's feet and take all sorts of abuse, with nobody standing up for you. The epitome of the customer is always right, which causes the company to lose a lot of money. The store I was at was non union and had no HR person; any problems had to be addressed directly with the manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally look at the policies and see if what you are doing is working.

Perfect internship experience.

Education Facilitator (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsI learned a lot about training and development. I believe that the senior management is doing its best to make important and difficult changes for the better of the company.

ConsThe downside of the company is that many of the customer facing employees lack the education and customer service to help the company succeed. It's difficult to know whose responsibility it is to ensure these employees are receiving what they need from the company.

Positive experience working in the Produce Department.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI found Cub Foods to be an enjoyable job. I was an associate in the produce department, where I worked closely with other associates, and also the department manager. The manager gave positive reinforcement and good feedback. He had high expectations that pushed me to excel in my position.

ConsThe environment of a retail.grocery store can become cynical at times. This position exposes you to many people working multiple jobs, and odd-hour shifts (overnights).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep in touch with the entry-level associates. They are the ones out on the floor everyday, and the ones in contact with your customers.

Worked for Cub Foods? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cub Foods reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cub Foods CEO Keith R. Wyche. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by Cub Foods employees.