Cub Foods Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
59 reviews filtered by
Cub Foods President Mike Stigers
Mike Stigers

Pros
  • Good benefits, somewhat flexible hours (in 5 reviews)

• Really good pay for part-time work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Each store is given a certain amount of full time employees that they are allowed to have, so it is a slim chance that you will get full time status (in 4 reviews)

• No benefits for anyone who works less than 30 hours a week and most part time are given less than 30 hours a week (in 3 reviews)

1. Positive experience working in Customer Service at Cub Foods

I worked at Cub Foods part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Cub Foods provides flexible scheduling, great benefits and dedicated team members. It's a good part-time job. They let me come back during college breaks which was very nice.

Cons

Working on the weekends was tough but that comes with the retail industry. There has been a lot of change with senior management but I think they are headed in the right direction.

2. Depends on who works above you

Former Employee - Cashier in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Cub Foods part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, and you can use seniority to your advantage. Every 500 or so hours you get an automatic raise till you reach the cap, so it's not hard to reach it as long as you work the hours. When I was there the cap was $14, and I reached it within 2 years I think. Also, if you're really lucky (timing), and really good, you could move up pretty fast, as long as you can impress the managers. There are so many locations that transferring is easy too.

Cons

In my personal experience, you had to kiss a lot of butt to get what you want. There are a few good managers who you could rely, but some of them were so moody, you'd see it reflected in your schedule. The front end manager I worked under couldn't even stay on top of fixing worker's hours for payroll, so when you would tell her about it, it would takes weeks or months for it to be corrected.

Though it is important to keep the customers happy, I think it's equally important to make the workers under you happy as well.

3. Department Manager

Former Employee - Department Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Cub Foods full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Cub provides a flexible schedule, excellent job while raising a family. Medical benefits, vacation and personal time are generous, and I enjoyed many of my coworkers.

Cons

I worked for Corporate Cub, so I can't speak for the franchise stores.

Labor crunch is ridiculous. Hard to service the customer on any level because everyone including managers are ringing on registers.

Create your brand and stick with it. You are no longer the low price leader, you provide poor customer service, cutting out variety- so what have you become? A has been.

It's very easy and fun

Current Employee - Cashier in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Cub Foods

Pros

I like the employees they were responsible and had a fun attitude and also overnight is pretty easy and steady less customers

Cons

Very short breaks the pay isn't too great could be a little better the management is very poorly

6. Not impressed

I have been working at Cub Foods part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Overall easy work, raises every certain amount of hours worked

Cons

Limited hours, low pay, not paid what you are worth

The best experience you could hope for in a retail grocery chain. I know that isn't saying a lot, but they are good.

Former Employee - Frozen Food/Dairy Assistant Manager in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Frozen Food/Dairy Assistant Manager in Rochester, MN

I worked at Cub Foods

Pros

Excellent, hardworking staff. Knowledgeable and helpful department managers. Excellent store operations team. Fast paced, friendly environment based on a philosophy of teamwork and creating excellence.

Cons

The SuperValu corporation, which has only this one location in Rochester, does a terrible job of giving this location the support, materials, and allowable labor it needs to succeed and reach the goals set forth by SuperValu.

The facility management team at the Rochester, MN store is amazing. However, with the limitations set upon them by SuperValu regulations creates a stressful environment and makes it nearly impossible for employees in most departments to maintain a comfortable level of job security.

8. Cashiering

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Monticello, MN
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Monticello, MN

I worked at Cub Foods

Pros

Nice benefits for part employees, coworkers are the best to with

Cons

Raises are the worst, hard to get a weekend off, work all holiday's except for Christmas day, hard to move up in the company, some management are hard to work for especially in the pharmacy.

Listen to your employees, and take out the managers that have a high turn around, for employees

9. It's fine, for what it is.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Cub Foods part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The wages are semi-decent if you've been there long enough, considering the kind of work it is. And the fact that there is a union there at all means that things could definitely be worse.

There is also an employee discount. However, whereas once it was for 10% off anything in the store except tobacco, lottery, and alcohol, now it's only on specific store-brand stuff and the percentage is significantly lower. Except, $.35 donuts -- those are pretty nice.

Cons

The company had a years-long wage freeze and cut benefits, so while the raise schedule is somewhat decent, as long as management can convince the union, nobody gets raises. Further, if you are recently hired there you're not going to make much more than minimum wage for quite a long time. Even for people who have been there for many years, the pay scale for retail employees is about thirteen dollars, so be prepared to get a second job if you want to subsist, because along with the low pay, you'll have a tough time getting hours.

Part of the contract says that they have to give a fifteen minute break for every three hours. To counteract this, you will often find yourself getting scheduled for shifts exactly five hours and fourty-five minutes long. These are the kinds of games management plays.

And as far as advancing in the company -- You can forget it. You'll stay in your original role (perhaps moving from one department to another or one store to another, but with no increase in pay) until you either quit, get laid off, or retire.

Pay a living wage. Respect your employees.

10. Not the best place to work

Former Employee - Cashier/CSM in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Cashier/CSM in Rochester, MN

I worked at Cub Foods part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun coworkers
    Raises awarded based on hours worked
    Easy job

Cons

No benefits
    Starting salary is low
    Management does not relate well to employees and listen to their needs
    Unrealistic expectations from management

Ease up on your employees and try investing in them, to give them an incentive to work hard. And show some loyalty to the folks who have been loyal to the company for many years

11. Demanding job requirements

I have been working at Cub Foods

Pros

Decent money and benefits plan.

Cons

Schedule not the same every week.