CubeSmart Reviews

Updated October 13, 2014
Updated October 13, 2014
2.8

Christopher P. Marr

Recently joined the CubeSmart team and am very happy with my decision

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been very impressed with the leadership; they seem to genuinely care about the teammates and are striving to make positive changes to the company culture and work environment. The people I have met so far are all engaged, energetic, intelligent professionals who I feel I will learn a lot from. The atmosphere at the corporate headquarters is fun and lively. Work-life balance is also high. From my vantage point, compensation seems to be above average. We are making strides towards becoming a true pay-for-performance culture.

Cons

The biggest con for me is the limited paid vacation time. I have spoken to several colleagues who feel the same way. I think to be competitive in the marketplace and thought of as an employer of choice, CubeSmart should offer more vacation time. I am also a strong believer that people are more effective and engaged employees when they are encouraged to take more time away.

Continue to set a high bar for the people we hire. There seems to be an increased emphasis in the past year or two on hiring top talent and that trend should continue.

Smoke and Mirrors

I worked at CubeSmart

Pros

Benefits are reasonably priced and the company matches 401K. The company needs to stop playing favorites.

Cons

Do NOT take a job working for this company. You will regret it!

Two VP's are running this company and have clearly teamed up to drive employees out the door. There is no WoW and no collaboration. They can say it, train on it and write it all over the place, but actions speak louder than words. When is someone going to look at what is happening and do something about it?

You have bullies working for this company that are liars and make up untruths about employees to get them out the door.

We are working in a CULT environment and if you aren't one of the favorites you are treated like an outsider. Employees are pinned against one another.

Annual increase amounts are a slap in the face to all employees. I would like to see the overpaid executives live on $23k a year and work their butts off for a 10 cent raise. The bonus structure has completely changed and it's so obvious that they're planning on not paying out full bonuses this year. How can they when they furnished a building with outrageous furniture, televisions and paintings that only 100 plus employees see on a daily basis. More money in the executives pockets!

It is definitely in with the young and new and out with the old and people are being set up to fail regardless of how good of an employee they are to this company.

It's amazing how you can be doing something right for so long and then made to feel that you're a complete idiot and have no idea what you're doing. Can you say set up?

How is it that two management employees can get away with treating people this way? It is plain old simple bullying and employee harassment.

If anyone is listening something needs to be done! The majority of people are miserable and unhappy working for CubeSmart and shame on the executive level team that sees it and does absolutely nothing about it.

CubeSmart Response

Oct 15, 2014HR Project Coordinator

Thank you for your comment; we appreciate the feedback and you sharing your concerns. We take all feedback as an opportunity to consider change that will improve our workplace.

CubeSmart
    ... More

Not a good place to work.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health benefits are ok. Pay is good if you bargain at hiring. If you want to work in a slow and get away with a crime, this is the job for you.

Cons

You will be lucky if you receive raise beyond $0.20, Every year they take away another Holiday paid day off. They will talk big things but it's nothing but a joke. I have seen lazy employees who does not do anything and employees who work very hard. They both get acknowledge same way. COMPANY CLAIMS THEY RECEIVED BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE AWARD. Well people who vote are the corporate employees themselves. HAHAHA

If you want GM and Managers to work like slaves and have them do everything including landscaping, repairs, cleaning, moving heavy furniture, etc. PLEASE respect them and pay little bit more. That won't even put a dent in your pocket.

Can be great for some, terrible for others

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at CubeSmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

CubeSmart is a great place to work for if you enjoy working independently, being in a laid back environment, sales and marketing, and are at a point in your life where you're not really looking to move up but are just looking for stability. As a GM you manage a facility with typically only one other employee. Many times you and the manager will not work at the same time as it is not often busy enough for the need of two employees. If you enjoy working alone this can be great, if not then this might not be the position for you.

Cons

Many times the maintenance responsibilities are performed by the GM and Manager which can be a bit strenuous at times. Regular cleaning and maintenance includes sweeping, dusting, mopping, landscaping, cutting the grass, leaf blowing, and in some cases even cleaning the gutters on the storage units. Facilities with one large building that houses indoor units are typically easier to maintain than facilities with several buildings and indoor and outdoor storage. The primary drawback to this position is that there are not many opportunities to move up. It's not hard to move from manager to GM if the position comes available but being a general manager is about as high up as many will get. While they have Area Managers and District Managers the positions do not come available very often and they take into accountability years with the company. At the time I lived on site which was a nice bonus but the two bedroom apartments are very small at times and you have zero privacy. It's not uncommon to have customers come to your door in the middle of the night because they lost their key, forgot their gate code, or need to make a payment.

Accept the fact that the average employee sees their position at CubeSmart as a job, not as a career. Stop overcomplicating every single aspect of the job, it really is just storage, it's simple. People either need it, or they don't, so marketing will only get you so far.

Don't Work Here

I worked at CubeSmart full-time

Pros

Salary is ok. Benefits are marginal

Cons

Upper Management picks favorites and harasses and abuses the new employees

Get your managers to grow up and stop acting like bullies to new employees. Abuse and Harassment are not good business practice, nor is it mature.

Culture

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

CubeSmart is investing time and money to improve the culture of the company to create a positive work environment for all teammates. The culture has dramatically improved in the last 18 months. The company consists of the most qualified and professional team in their industry, at all levels.

Cons

Management seems to treat new teammates better than the teammates that have been there making things happen through the good and the bad.

Teammates should have the opportunity to share in the financial success of the company.

PLEASE READ REVIEW `Don`t believe it`

I have been working at CubeSmart

Pros

paid time off compensation is pretty good. Health benefits are great and the HSA contributions from the company are probably as good as it gets considering current health costs.

Cons

The review "Don`t believe it" is on target! On paper our culture and values are great but when you are actually in the field working the GM at hand will pass all fault onto the site manager and are taken for their word by the DM`s. Cubesmart puts great time and care into training and teaching values and when placed at a location that is all out the window and your job is at stake. One must pander to the GM and deal with bulling for the sake of job retention. The longer one is employed here the greater your spirit and motivation decline.
    Pay? Job includes multiple aspects of money, inventory, contracting, much physical labor, collections, auctions, sales.
    Seriously, Peanuts for pay doesn`t even come close to what each store makes gross income per month. The pay obviously reflects use `em till ya` loose them and replace them for less attitude.

Please note HR replies to reviews and concerns coming from the corporate office. Anyone seen a reply for someone out in the sales field??????

Great growth, high potential.

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really enjoy the focus put on employees here. CubeSmart teammates generally take pride in their work and the company, and it shows in the attitudes people have here. It's a pleasure to work for a company that seems to genuinely care about their people.

Cons

Could have a better paid time off policy.

Great pay, horrible management. Avoid!

I worked at CubeSmart full-time

Pros

Compensation for corporate jobs is very competitive. The new corporate headquarters is beautiful and contains a gym, large outside patio and other luxuries. The newest HR regime has made an effort to improve training.

Cons

The atmosphere is strained at all times and gossip is out of control. After the recent CEO transition, power is centralized among several executives who take every opportunity to shift blame to others. The company has experienced two years of excellent growth but did not share success with non-executive corporate and store employees in merit increases.

Career advancement at CubeSmart is impossible unless the right political moves are made. Tuition assistance benefits are so limited that they are of little use when pursuing any kind of degree.

Give team leaders the support and autonomy they need to run the business. Micromanagement is counterproductive.

The pay is horrible and upper management always blames the managers when things go wrong.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at CubeSmart (more than an year)

Pros

No late nights working. Decent health benefits.

Cons

Poor pay, no room for growth. General managers control your job in the company. Employees are easily disposable.

Wish we were compensated better for the amount of work we do. Cleaning toilets, fixing plumbing and locks. We have to many roles and very little pay.