CubeSmart Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Christopher P. Marr

Pros
  • Good health benefits, no late nights (in 5 reviews)

• I genuinely like the work, but am really only surviving because of the free apartment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • It's not hard to move from manager to GM if the position comes available but being a general manager is about as high up as many will get (in 4 reviews)

• Very low pay (especially if you are a GM - see "free apartment") (in 4 reviews)

1. Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

The manager's job is relatively simple; accept payments, lease units, keep the property clean, and help with accounts receivable. That's the bulk of the job. Your volume of foot traffic can vary heavily depending upon the location of your property and the season (summer being the big rental season). This job was great for me while I was in junior college taking night classes, as my General Manager allowed me to keep my books under the desk and study/do homework whenever we had down-time (which during the winter was very often) and all of our daily tasks were finished.

Cons

First, I would like to mention that I actually think this is a great job for younger people who are perhaps still in school and want to be able to put the title of Manager on a resume later in life. However, I will provide as much detail as possible on the Cons that I can easily think of just to provide you with as clear of a picture of the job's drawbacks as possible. Most of these were not significant enough to me personally to matter, but you should be aware of them so that you can judge for yourself how well you may fit in this position. I just don't want someone to see my long list of cons and think that it means the job is terrible or that I am trashing the company. I just like to be specific and thorough. Most properties have video cameras in the offices which are linked up to a DVR which your Area and District Managers can access freely. If you have a good DM and you are a good employee, then this is likely not going to be an issue for you. But, for those of you who may have a less than friendly DM, or who are generally uncomfortable with the possibility of being watched/recorded, then this may be an issue for you. Of course, customers can also be a source of stress, and any job in which you work with the public shares this hassle. Your experience in this position will vary heavily depending upon your General Manager (basically your immediate boss at your property, and likely the only other coworker you regularly see unless you cover other properties very often) and your District/Area Managers (which one of these two you interact with depends upon your district and company climate at the time. When I started, there was an area manager, then the position was eliminated and the area manager went back to being a normal GM, then a few years later another person was promoted to AM, and by the time I left there was talk of promoting a second AM). Managers have little control over how your accounts receivable and liens are handled, which are a big component of how your bonus is calculated. This means that if your GM decides to give a tenant an extra month to pay their past-due rent, or makes a mistake in their lien paperwork, or a variety of other situations, then you will lose a large portion of your bonus for that month(possibly quarter, I forget how often the bonuses were paid out) because your accounts receivable are too high. For that matter, the AR goals of all properties are calculated as a percentage of the property's total income, which is perfectly fine for most locations, but certain properties which are in worse neighborhoods will have consistently higher ARs and little hope of lowering them, and thus will not make much bonus money. Also, while your GM will be giving you an annual performance review, you do not get the opportunity to review your GM unless you deliberately complain to your AM or DM, which can cause you problems in a smaller office setting. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of room for advancement from this starting point in the company. It is rare that there is an opening for a new GM, and in such a case you should reach out to your DM and let them know if you are interested in the position (they typically will not think to ask Managers if they would be interested in the position unless the vacancy is at their home location). In a district that may have anywhere from 10 to 30 locations, there is normally only 1 or 2 area managers (and if I recall correctly, this position may require some college coursework or an associate's degree, but if interested, you should double check) and therefore even more rarely a chance to be promoted to this position. Promotion to DM is, in my experience, something like spotting a shooting star. You know that it happens, and you probably have friends who have seen it happen, but its not the sort of thing that's common. For one, being a DM requires a bachelors degree (at least it did when I worked there, so you many want to double check), and surprisingly few GMs or AMs have one of these. Also, it is more often the case that the properties in your district will simply be reassigned to another DM when a sudden vacancy in the position occurs (this happened when my DM sadly passed away). So, it would be hard for you to move into a DM position unless you knew that your current DM would be leaving, or that the company is looking to expand and create a new DM position, and you are willing to relocate for this purpose.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to see expectations of property cleanliness to be more consistently enforced at all properties. My home property was always very clean, but others that I filled in at were often terribly dirty to the point where it embarrassed me to have to work there, and it seemed as though the AM did not care. It would also be nice to have more opportunity for advancement, but there are significant barriers to this which are inherent to the structure of the industry itself. Additionally, it would be nice if Managers had a formal mechanism in place to review the performance of their General Manager as part of the annual performance reviews.

Ok

Current Employee - General
    Current Employee - General

Pros

Work Load not to bad, boring at times, busy at others. Company has a good spot in industry. Better then competitors

Cons

Management unaware, money hungry, does not really engage employees in decision. Gives rules that you have to follow even if it doesn't make sense all the time.

3. Good company

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They do care about employees, and push for the best benefits possible.

Cons

Low salary raises for the employees who truly do all the work.

Advice to Management

Review some of the policies (ex. Needing to cover all tattoos, on site managers having pets, etc) and be more open about situations.

Excellent Company to work for!

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company cares about its employees. The district managers go above and beyond to make sure we have everything we need to do our jobs safely. When asked how good the company is, the best way to describe it I have is this: I was recently told I was receiving a $250 bonus for my hard work. I thought that's great! I figured, after the higher taxes on bonus I might see $150, but that's still a nice bonus for doing what I see as my job. In reality, the company gave me a $407 bonus, so that after taxes I received the full $250. They didn't have to do that, I wasn't expecting anything like that, but they did it anyway. A company that doesn't care about it's employees wouldn't have bonuses in the first place, let alone anything like this! I'm a proud Cubesmart teammate with over two years in the company, and I've never been happier with my choice of employer.

Cons

The annual pay raises are rather low, but given the economy, any raise is a good raise. The medical and dental benefits available aren't comprehensive enough. They cover some, but in truth nowhere near enough.

Terrible Pay but Good Solid General Set Up

Current Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good e-learning ...on line progressive training is in small modules. Solid company. Stable.

Cons

Terrible pay is well below local general cost of living. HEALTH insurance is good but cost for 2 people is $420. per month which is far, far too high for Store Manager $11.00 per hour pay. Not at all realistic. Under staffing locations is normal. Not good.

Advice to Management

Raise minimum pay level for Store Managers to match cost of living. $15. ..at least! Never have busiest days with only 1 employee in strong traffic locations. Staff appropriately for location.

Great Company Full of People on a Mission

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture at CubeSmart is awesome. The company has a goal to be known as a top brand with outstanding customer service. It has an impressive training and onboarding program that helps employees learn about and live the culture. The company is not afraid to try new things and innovate, and are trying to change a pretty stagnant industry - self storage - that has never been looked on an exciting or seen in a favorable light, and I think they are doing a great job of it. They are growing very fast, and the leadership is very smart and has definite goals in mind. The leaders do a great job running the company and steering it toward achieving its goals. It's a fairly young company (meaning they have a lot of younger employees), so there is a lot energy and optimism. The overall vibe is very friendly, and hierarchy is not a barrier to getting things done. The leadership are all very friendly and approachable, and there is no pretense.

Cons

The biggest con is related to one of the biggest pros - rapid growth. Because the company is growing so quickly, the workload in some areas is high and the infrastructure (both organizational and technological) needed to operate a larger company is still evolving, leading to occasional lack of communication and inefficiencies. They are trying to hire people and build out the infrastructure, but these efforts are not keeping pace with the growth. Because there a lot of younger employees, the turnover is a kind of high because younger people tend to switch jobs often. The rapid growth of the company also means the leadership, which is used to running a smaller company, is still very involved - maybe too involved - in minor day-to-day decision making. Health and retirement benefits are pretty standard and aren't bad, but paid time off is lacking.

Advice to Management

Resist the urge to micro-manage. You've put together a great team - trust the, and let them take the ball and run with it.

Satisfied but questions

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the company benefits, training and communication. District manager communications are good but seldom physically visits. Area managers are good but are too devoted to company and not employees.

Cons

Area managers need to understand that employees at actual locations do know what they need to work effectively. Whether it be retail products, supplies for maintenance of property, how to repair items on property or something simple as pens and paper for the office. Micro management from the Divisional Vice President is non stop for issues that don't really effect daily operations of the location.

Advice to Management

Nobody like micro management, especially when hCube (Headquarters) stresses that employees make our own decisions to get and keep the customer. Divisional Vice Presidents need to understand that every locations has their own issues and circumstances and that statistics on paper do not reflect how good or bad each location is doing.

9. not bad not great

I worked at CubeSmart full-time

Pros

easy work days not much to do have to do same daily tasks but really nice if you want to get an education while working or something like that

Cons

boring boring boring lots of travel

Good Luck

Current Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has great benefits.

Cons

ANY kind of lower level position be ready to WORK for the little bit that they pay you. Be ready to do manual labor pulling weeds and cleaning cubes in 30-100 degree weather. Be ready to have irate customers that bombard you daily. Gms/mgrs are what provide this company with the money to build it. Yet we are at the BOTTOM of the food chain in this company with little to no recoginition. Only critiques. One of the many reason I'm leaving.

Advice to Management

Recognize all the EFFORT your store managers put in to their properties. We work with the most difficult people and have to clean our own property, yet we get paid like crap. All other new employees get a video to show everyone their new. They don't do that for their GMs or MGRS. Probably because the turn over is SOOO bad. Want to know why, because you don't take care of your GMs or Managers. You expect so much from us while giving next to nothing in return. Just false promises.

11. FOrmer Employer Review

Former Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at CubeSmart full-time

Pros

Independent Work Environment Decent benefits Lots of interactions with customers of all walks of life and knowledge Onsite apartment and utilities for General Managers Free storage unit for General Manager, 50% off for Store Managers

Cons

Very little advancement opportunities No cost of living increases Miniscule if any rate increases Constant policy and procedural changes Bonus program changes often in favor of employer

Advice to Management

Give cost of living increases since wage increases are miniscule.

RSS Feed </> Embed