CubeSmart Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
58 reviews filtered by
2.4
Christopher P. Marr

Pros
  • Good health benefits, no late nights (in 5 reviews)

• I genuinely like the work, but am really only surviving because of the free apartment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • It's not hard to move from manager to GM if the position comes available but being a general manager is about as high up as many will get (in 4 reviews)

• Very low pay (especially if you are a GM - see "free apartment") (in 4 reviews)

Better than Most!

Current Employee - General Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at CubeSmart

Pros

Training, paid mileage, free apartment, advancement opportunities and dedicated team mates.

Cons

Pay, bonuses, no overtime, occasional customer going through dramatic event

Pay us a little more. We are growing and having phenomenal growth. We do a lot; just give us a little more!

2. Lots of down time.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Frederick, MD

I worked at CubeSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The management was very easy to get along with. Always new things to learn. Opportunities to grow fast if you want to stay in the company.

Cons

lots of cleaning. Doing a lot of work by your self. Lots of competition among employees.

don't just throw people out there.

terrible place to work unless you are a man

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time

Pros

new building is very nice and modern

Cons

worst HR department anywhere. age and gender discrimination all over the place and HR does nothing about it. they write back on these reviews that they don't tolerate it but it's just talk and nothing at cubesmart is done to stop it. you have to be a white male between 20 and 45 to get anywhere. women don't count and do not get promoted. some senior managers bully people and enjoy it. i hoped that when management changed a couple of years ago things would be great but that didn't happen. there is a deterioration in morale and good people are leaving.

own up to the discrimination and then change the culture. if you put half the effort you put into WOW into this it will be a much better environment.

Great self storage company

Current Employee - General Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Career advancement, employee recognition rewards, tuition reimbursement, and flexability. As a great leader once put it: You have control of your own destiny.

Cons

Health benefits could be better. People thinking this is a job they can sit around and do nothing all day. (Hard to meet min word requirement)

Management has made great strides with improving communication with its employees, but there is still room for improvement.

Mar 12, 2015Director of Talent

Thank you for your feedback.

CubeSmart is committed to providing teammates continuous self-improvement and career growth. We encourage that teammates apply to internal and external opportunities
    ... More

Terrible environment for women and minorities

I worked at CubeSmart

Pros

Location is the only pro.

Cons

The reviews regarding woman at hCube are accurate. Middle-aged white men get promoted and offered higher level positions many times with no relevant experience. Senior management searches out young white men to mentor and promote. These men are regularly offered to move into different more complex positions at the company without opening the position up to others. Of 12 senior managers, there is only 1 woman. The others are middle aged white men with stay at home wives. They have no grasp on reality. To get noticed, you must work closely with the CEO or CFO and only young men work with them. Women are held to a different standard. No amount of hard work and dedication will allow a woman to succeed at CubeSmart. Women are seen as workers not leaders regardless of their leadership qualities and potential, and management sabotages women to make themselves and their buddies look better. It is really surprising that a public company would operate in this way. Management is only concerned with getting their inflated pay, benefits and bonuses. The employees at the stores and in the call center are not valued and are discussed like second class citizens, and the men make sexist comments.

Companies with diverse and happy employees are more successful. Stop overlooking female talent and figure out how to diversify your staff and management. Malvern is 30 minutes from Philadelphia. It shouldn't be that difficult.

High Expectations for low wages

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health benefits
    decent vacation time
    wages are eh for store managers, wages are not so great for general managers (granted they do provide a on-site apartment for general managers provided its not in their plans to get rid of it)

Cons

The company is focusing, developed by previous CEO Dean Jernigan, on giving the customer more than whats expected from a storage company. Corporate wants to provide the sites customers with a WOW experience to keep them coming back for more, if they need storage again in the future. Millions of dollars have been pumped into this program when, in my advice, this is not the way to go. You could argue the fact that they have won awards and this is because of the WOW program they have in place. I would say no though because when its time for awards to come around, they constantly spam store emails telling you to vote for the company and to tell friends to vote for them. If it was because of the WOW service everyone received, should we have to vote for ourselves every year, I think not.

Someone on here said it best when they said "10-12 dollars is going to get you 10-12 dollars worth of service". The "you get what you pay for" applies here when it comes to people. Instead of pumping millions into creating a "culture" that everyone is supposed to follow and live out, pump those millions into recruiting and existing employees. Can we train our district managers to go out and look for talent instead of spoon feeding us a program that will only work if the person is willing to accept it? Find the right person in the first place and you don't have to worry about instilling VALUES and MISSION STATEMENTS and DEFINITION OF WOW! *according to CubeSmart* down everyones throats.

Let's talk about rasies for a second, what a joke! If you have had an EXCEPTIONALLY well year, don't expect to get rewarded for it. The most people get is around 25 cents. If you get higher than that, your district manager has to take away from someone else to give to the other person. This is how it was explained to me by a former district manager. The company gives 2-3 percent, AT MOST 3 IF THEY HAD A GOOD YEAR, to give to the district manager to give to ALL employees in district. Talk about pathetic, take a look at the companies publicly traded symbol over the last few years, I'd say that the company has been doing pretty well yes? Year over year the company continues to grow and is trying to gain traction in the storage world. They do so because the people running the stores are doing something right but yet where is the reward? Maybe someone from corporate might rebuttal by saying they offer competitive wages, yea I don't think so, don't let them fool you.

Everything stated above, come on guys you're better than this. I believe in this company but I hate to say that hard work a results get you the same as if you were to just get by. Sure you can fire the person who is just getting by but then you'll be right back at square one because your going to hire another person at a low rate and gamble if that person is gonna work out. Get it right the first time, offer better wages to someone to get a good person in the door the first time.

Again, maybe there might be another rebuttal by corporate saying that they review all applicants thoroughly and have a good interviewing process in place. Phone interview, 1 on 1 interview *maybe 2 to 3 weeks later* with district manager, then another 3-4 weeks of waiting for a phone call to see if you've got the job. If you didn't don't expect to hear back from ANYBODY, as previous people have commented. That's a lot of time to go by before someone is hired, meanwhile your employees are struggling to make do with what they have and not to mention can not take time off because the coverage is not there.

Does that sound like a company you'd like to work for CubeSmart?

Get back to basics

I worked at CubeSmart

Pros

401(k)
    Benefits
    Disability
    The employees that stick together and support one another.

Cons

I personally have walked by the CEO numerous times in my career with CubeSmart and not once was I ever greeted by a hello first. We are all human and deserve to be treated with respect. Just because you make more money doesn't mean you have a right to treat us like we are beneath you.

The company clearly is looking for men to be the leaders. The arrogance and cockiness of our executive team is overbearing. Women are treated like second-class citizens. The only one female senior executive is looked at as part of the boys club. I have personally seen executive raise their voices and be condescending to employees, all women, in front of others.

If you are not one of the pegged favorites you are looked at as somebody that is replaceable as opposed to somebody that brings value to the company. It is quite obvious that females over the age of 40 is not what CubeSmart wants working for the company.

There is such a lack of caring and compassion. Our CEO talks about family and work life balance and working together as a team but it's just talk. It's amazing that the executive team is out of the office before 5 o'clock most nights and starts their weekends early, but the teammates that are making the money for the company work late hours, work from home in order to complete their work. Work life balance, right? WRONG!

There is gossiping and whispering among the executive team that is just as unprofessional and and one executive in particular has a habit of coercing certain teammates within the department to side with them regardless of the truth.

Take time and read all of these comments there is a common theme. It's about time that people start speaking up.

Treat others as you wish to be treated!

Unfair treatment

I worked at CubeSmart

Pros

benefits and the company match on the 401k, although it would be nice if they would match more than 50 cents on the dollar.

Cons

So many issues at hCube but to sum it up fairly quickly....the corporate office has turned into working in a negative environment. Certain departments are completely over-staffed and promotions are/were given to individuals that may not necessarily been the right choice and demotions occurred that were clearly the wrong choice. People are fearful to speak up and those that do speak up are viewed as negative and the problem. I find it humorous that so many people can be negative and their complaints are swept under the carpet. I personally have spoken up and was made to feel that what I said did make any difference and at that point I realized that we work for a company and a team of executives that only care about themselves. Certain executives can sit across from you and act like they care and are supportive, however as soon as your back is turned its game over and you are now a moving target with one foot out the door. I felt that I needed to write this review to let others that feel the same way that it's not you and many others feel the same way and or have experienced bullying tactics, humiliation, and unfair, discriminatory treatment.

Putting fear into your employees is what bullies do - is this how you want the company to be viewed? You have a bullying problem and it needs to addressed. All it takes is one lawsuit for CubeSmart to look bad and as a company that does not support their employees.

Mar 12, 2015Director of Talent

We seek assistance from our teammates to report violations of our anti-discrimination and anti-harassment policies so that we may work together to improve our workplace. We take claims of ... More

10. CubeSmart

I have been working at CubeSmart

Pros

It's a real easy job if you stay on top of everything . The pay is also good

Cons

We have to do our own mantainence and it is difficult at times . You are alone a lot.

Mantainence would be a good addition .

Pitiful raises!

I have been working at CubeSmart

Pros

There is nothing good about working for this company. You are used and taken advantage of and paid horribly.

Cons

The company culture is a joke. The company does not care about their employees. How many employees this year received reviews and increases that were the worst review and raise ever in their career. Who is behind it? Management - it's a set up folks for those individuals they want out of the company.

* Too many levels of management

* You are expected to follow the core values, however management isn't even close to following what they preach.

* Stop putting the fear of GOD into your employees. Why does it seem that this year the managers find pleasure in threatening their employees and make them feel bad about themselves and the job that they are doing while presenting our reviews.

* I agree with several of the other posts that it could not be anymore obvious that certain people in this company are not liked and are either being forced to resign or will eventually be written up and terminated.

* CubeSmart is just another company that is all about the profits and making money to fill their pockets. How many employees that work their tails off making the money for this company, live in million dollar homes, drive sports cars, travel the world - only those few working in hCube.

* 1.38% raise this year. I received an lavish 13 cents - I cant thank the company enough for all that they have done for me over the last year. Thank you for the 13 cents - you really have outdone yourself. I may just be able to treat myself to NOTHING!

Here is some advice - STOP with the FLUFF and appreciate your employees - YOUNG AND OLD. Stop making up lies about your employees and making it out that they are no good and suddenly haven't been doing a good job for the company.

Mar 12, 2015Director of Talent

CubeSmart and its leadership team aim to create a workplace environment free of harassment, discrimination, and retaliation. We enforce anti- discrimination and anti-harassment policies. CubeSmart ... More