CubeSmart

www.cubesmart.com

CubeSmart Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Christopher P. Marr

Can be great for some, terrible for others

General Manager (Former Employee)

ProsCubeSmart is a great place to work for if you enjoy working independently, being in a laid back environment, sales and marketing, and are at a point in your life where you're not really looking to move up but are just looking for stability. As a GM you manage a facility with typically only one other employee. Many times you and the manager will not work at the same time as it is not often busy enough for the need of two employees. If you enjoy working alone this can be great, if not then this might not be the position for you.

ConsMany times the maintenance responsibilities are performed by the GM and Manager which can be a bit strenuous at times. Regular cleaning and maintenance includes sweeping, dusting, mopping, landscaping, cutting the grass, leaf blowing, and in some cases even cleaning the gutters on the storage units. Facilities with one large building that houses indoor units are typically easier to maintain than facilities with several buildings and indoor and outdoor storage. The primary drawback to this position is that there are not many opportunities to move up. It's not hard to move from manager to GM if the position comes available but being a general manager is about as high up as many will get. While they have Area Managers and District Managers the positions do not come available very often and they take into accountability years with the company. At the time I lived on site which was a nice bonus but the two bedroom apartments are very small at times and you have zero privacy. It's not uncommon to have customers come to your door in the middle of the night because they lost their key, forgot their gate code, or need to make a payment.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept the fact that the average employee sees their position at CubeSmart as a job, not as a career. Stop overcomplicating every single aspect of the job, it really is just storage, it's simple. People either need it, or they don't, so marketing will only get you so far.

Culture

ProsCubeSmart is investing time and money to improve the culture of the company to create a positive work environment for all teammates. The culture has dramatically improved in the last 18 months. The company consists of the most qualified and professional team in their industry, at all levels.

ConsManagement seems to treat new teammates better than the teammates that have been there making things happen through the good and the bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeammates should have the opportunity to share in the financial success of the company.

PLEASE READ REVIEW `Don`t believe it`

Prospaid time off compensation is pretty good. Health benefits are great and the HSA contributions from the company are probably as good as it gets considering current health costs.

ConsThe review "Don`t believe it" is on target! On paper our culture and values are great but when you are actually in the field working the GM at hand will pass all fault onto the site manager and are taken for their word by the DM`s. Cubesmart puts great time and care into training and teaching values and when placed at a location that is all out the window and your job is at stake. One must pander to the GM and deal with bulling for the sake of job retention. The longer one is employed here the greater your spirit and motivation decline.
    Pay? Job includes multiple aspects of money, inventory, contracting, much physical labor, collections, auctions, sales.
    Seriously, Peanuts for pay doesn`t even come close to what each store makes gross income per month. The pay obviously reflects use `em till ya` loose them and replace them for less attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease note HR replies to reviews and concerns coming from the corporate office. Anyone seen a reply for someone out in the sales field??????

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't believe it!

ProsThe company is growing.
    We had our best year in 2013.
    Corporate office is new and modern.

ConsFor a company that is supposedly doing so well the company should be embarrassed with how much they gave their employees for their annual increases. You can bet that every executive is enjoying the money in their pockets and is living a lavish life style...vacation homes, traveling, expensive cars, million dollar homes.

No employee deserves to receive a $.15 increase. What's the point? Don't tell us that we do a great job and then pay us peanuts. The increase that I received for a years worth of work is a joke. I would rather they kept it. Actions speak louder than words.

So many people are unhappy. Upper management has taken a turn for the worse. Too much backstabbing going on. Men are promoted and women are not considered and/or removed from their positions.

Certain directors get away with things that would be considered cause for termination at any other company. Certain people are placed into management positions that don't deserve it but because they suck up they are moved up within the company.

The discrimination, harassment and bullying that certain people endure working for this company under certain management should make you think twice about continuing to work with this company or ever taking a job here. One day the truth will come out.

Advice to Senior ManagementSomebody needs to take a hard look at what's going on in the organization if anybody even cares.

Great growth, high potential.

ProsI really enjoy the focus put on employees here. CubeSmart teammates generally take pride in their work and the company, and it shows in the attitudes people have here. It's a pleasure to work for a company that seems to genuinely care about their people.

ConsCould have a better paid time off policy.

Great pay, horrible management. Avoid!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation for corporate jobs is very competitive. The new corporate headquarters is beautiful and contains a gym, large outside patio and other luxuries. The newest HR regime has made an effort to improve training.

ConsThe atmosphere is strained at all times and gossip is out of control. After the recent CEO transition, power is centralized among several executives who take every opportunity to shift blame to others. The company has experienced two years of excellent growth but did not share success with non-executive corporate and store employees in merit increases.

Career advancement at CubeSmart is impossible unless the right political moves are made. Tuition assistance benefits are so limited that they are of little use when pursuing any kind of degree.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive team leaders the support and autonomy they need to run the business. Micromanagement is counterproductive.

The pay is horrible and upper management always blames the managers when things go wrong.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsNo late nights working. Decent health benefits.

ConsPoor pay, no room for growth. General managers control your job in the company. Employees are easily disposable.

Advice to Senior ManagementWish we were compensated better for the amount of work we do. Cleaning toilets, fixing plumbing and locks. We have to many roles and very little pay.

poor working conditions

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood health benefits, no late nights

ConsSalary is a joke. Here is a look at what Christopher Marr COO of the company makes:

So how much is $1,704,536?

Christopher P. Marr made $1,704,536 in 2012 or $194 an hour, $3 a minute, and $0.05 a second. This is 4 times the president's salary and 32 times the median US household income.

You would have to work for 63 years to make what Christopher P. Marr makes in 1 year.
    My salary is $ 24,950, and we don't get paid for the holidays but still have to work them. We are forced to take an extra day off so our DM can get a bigger bonus. Nothing about the pay structure is fair, and by all means NEVER use the whistleblower hotline as you will get burned in the end.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at what you are paying your people in the trenches and compensate them fairly. Pay for holidays. Don't force employees to work 6,7,8,9 days in a row, and give 2 consecutive days off.

Rising Storage company

ProsGM's get free residential in some areas. Employees are the best quality of workers you will find. The environment is set with a team atmosphere. Advancement is possible to a certain level. The company does offer paid time off.

ConsPay needs to be looked into. Some employees are worth more then what they get. Employee turn around is higher then most companies. Once you reach a certain level your development as an individual is stopped. Bonus structure is not really set up for the employee to make money but to drive the business forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look at the lower level and don't forget they make the wheels turn.

It's a good job

ProsGreat workers, have a chance of getting rent free apartment, and overall good General Managers

ConsLots of information during training

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat benefits

Worked for CubeSmart? Contribute to the Community!