www.cubesmart.com

Updated March 4, 2015
Updated March 4, 2015
2.3

Christopher P. Marr

Pros
  • Good health benefits, no late nights (in 5 reviews)

• I genuinely like the work, but am really only surviving because of the free apartment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • It's not hard to move from manager to GM if the position comes available but being a general manager is about as high up as many will get (in 4 reviews)

• Very low pay (especially if you are a GM - see "free apartment") (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great self storage company

Current Employee - General Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Career advancement, employee recognition rewards, tuition reimbursement, and flexability. As a great leader once put it: You have control of your own destiny.

Cons

Health benefits could be better. People thinking this is a job they can sit around and do nothing all day. (Hard to meet min word requirement)

Management has made great strides with improving communication with its employees, but there is still room for improvement.

Does the EEOC know about CubeSmart?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

401(k) match and HSA contribution

Cons

Cubesmart is a very difficult company to work for if you are anything other than a white male between 25 and 45. There is no diversity.

Then there is so much bullying going on. SVPs and VPs are constantly bullying underlings. And if you're over 45 you'll hear the old age jokes all the time. It's disgusting top management lets this go on but they do. HR will probably respond to this by saying you should come and talk to us but if you try to talk to them they turn it around and say you are the "problem".

Management should be ashamed to give employees a 1.3% raise. They are constantly crowing about how full the storage facilities are and senior management makes a bundle. If you're someones "favorite" you do get more than a 1.3% raise. Favoritism also is all over the place along with the bullying and age jokes. Cubesmart needs to get real about having a work from home policy. They don't have one and people have to come in no matter what the road conditions or be lectured about taking vacation time because you were late and stuck in traffic on icy roads.

If you think you can give employees (except your favorites) a 1.3% raise you should think again. Its also time to put an end to the comments about age, like the VP who said to someone hey at your age were you able to walk up all those stairs.

High Expectations for low wages

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health benefits
    decent vacation time
    wages are eh for store managers, wages are not so great for general managers (granted they do provide a on-site apartment for general managers provided its not in their plans to get rid of it)

Cons

The company is focusing, developed by previous CEO Dean Jernigan, on giving the customer more than whats expected from a storage company. Corporate wants to provide the sites customers with a WOW experience to keep them coming back for more, if they need storage again in the future. Millions of dollars have been pumped into this program when, in my advice, this is not the way to go. You could argue the fact that they have won awards and this is because of the WOW program they have in place. I would say no though because when its time for awards to come around, they constantly spam store emails telling you to vote for the company and to tell friends to vote for them. If it was because of the WOW service everyone received, should we have to vote for ourselves every year, I think not.

Someone on here said it best when they said "10-12 dollars is going to get you 10-12 dollars worth of service". The "you get what you pay for" applies here when it comes to people. Instead of pumping millions into creating a "culture" that everyone is supposed to follow and live out, pump those millions into recruiting and existing employees. Can we train our district managers to go out and look for talent instead of spoon feeding us a program that will only work if the person is willing to accept it? Find the right person in the first place and you don't have to worry about instilling VALUES and MISSION STATEMENTS and DEFINITION OF WOW! *according to CubeSmart* down everyones throats.

Let's talk about rasies for a second, what a joke! If you have had an EXCEPTIONALLY well year, don't expect to get rewarded for it. The most people get is around 25 cents. If you get higher than that, your district manager has to take away from someone else to give to the other person. This is how it was explained to me by a former district manager. The company gives 2-3 percent, AT MOST 3 IF THEY HAD A GOOD YEAR, to give to the district manager to give to ALL employees in district. Talk about pathetic, take a look at the companies publicly traded symbol over the last few years, I'd say that the company has been doing pretty well yes? Year over year the company continues to grow and is trying to gain traction in the storage world. They do so because the people running the stores are doing something right but yet where is the reward? Maybe someone from corporate might rebuttal by saying they offer competitive wages, yea I don't think so, don't let them fool you.

Everything stated above, come on guys you're better than this. I believe in this company but I hate to say that hard work a results get you the same as if you were to just get by. Sure you can fire the person who is just getting by but then you'll be right back at square one because your going to hire another person at a low rate and gamble if that person is gonna work out. Get it right the first time, offer better wages to someone to get a good person in the door the first time.

Again, maybe there might be another rebuttal by corporate saying that they review all applicants thoroughly and have a good interviewing process in place. Phone interview, 1 on 1 interview *maybe 2 to 3 weeks later* with district manager, then another 3-4 weeks of waiting for a phone call to see if you've got the job. If you didn't don't expect to hear back from ANYBODY, as previous people have commented. That's a lot of time to go by before someone is hired, meanwhile your employees are struggling to make do with what they have and not to mention can not take time off because the coverage is not there.

Does that sound like a company you'd like to work for CubeSmart?

I have been working at CubeSmart

Pros

It's a real easy job if you stay on top of everything . The pay is also good

Cons

We have to do our own mantainence and it is difficult at times . You are alone a lot.

Mantainence would be a good addition .

Get back to basics

I worked at CubeSmart

Pros

401(k)
    Benefits
    Disability
    The employees that stick together and support one another.

Cons

I personally have walked by the CEO numerous times in my career with CubeSmart and not once was I ever greeted by a hello first. We are all human and deserve to be treated with respect. Just because you make more money doesn't mean you have a right to treat us like we are beneath you.

The company clearly is looking for men to be the leaders. The arrogance and cockiness of our executive team is overbearing. Women are treated like second-class citizens. The only one female senior executive is looked at as part of the boys club. I have personally seen executive raise their voices and be condescending to employees, all women, in front of others.

If you are not one of the pegged favorites you are looked at as somebody that is replaceable as opposed to somebody that brings value to the company. It is quite obvious that females over the age of 40 is not what CubeSmart wants working for the company.

There is such a lack of caring and compassion. Our CEO talks about family and work life balance and working together as a team but it's just talk. It's amazing that the executive team is out of the office before 5 o'clock most nights and starts their weekends early, but the teammates that are making the money for the company work late hours, work from home in order to complete their work. Work life balance, right? WRONG!

There is gossiping and whispering among the executive team that is just as unprofessional and and one executive in particular has a habit of coercing certain teammates within the department to side with them regardless of the truth.

Take time and read all of these comments there is a common theme. It's about time that people start speaking up.

Treat others as you wish to be treated!

Pitiful raises!

I have been working at CubeSmart

Pros

There is nothing good about working for this company. You are used and taken advantage of and paid horribly.

Cons

The company culture is a joke. The company does not care about their employees. How many employees this year received reviews and increases that were the worst review and raise ever in their career. Who is behind it? Management - it's a set up folks for those individuals they want out of the company.

* Too many levels of management

* You are expected to follow the core values, however management isn't even close to following what they preach.

* Stop putting the fear of GOD into your employees. Why does it seem that this year the managers find pleasure in threatening their employees and make them feel bad about themselves and the job that they are doing while presenting our reviews.

* I agree with several of the other posts that it could not be anymore obvious that certain people in this company are not liked and are either being forced to resign or will eventually be written up and terminated.

* CubeSmart is just another company that is all about the profits and making money to fill their pockets. How many employees that work their tails off making the money for this company, live in million dollar homes, drive sports cars, travel the world - only those few working in hCube.

* 1.38% raise this year. I received an lavish 13 cents - I cant thank the company enough for all that they have done for me over the last year. Thank you for the 13 cents - you really have outdone yourself. I may just be able to treat myself to NOTHING!

Here is some advice - STOP with the FLUFF and appreciate your employees - YOUNG AND OLD. Stop making up lies about your employees and making it out that they are no good and suddenly haven't been doing a good job for the company.

work anywhere but here

Former Employee - General Manager in Delray Beach, FL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Delray Beach, FL

I worked at CubeSmart

Pros

other than benefits nothing to speak of.

Cons

minute raises, long rides to work due to transfers, placing managers into no win customer service situations.

WAKE UP

Tired Of Being Verbally Abused

Current Employee - General Manager in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - General Manager in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to help customers in need of storage.

Cons

Working for a Manager that manages by threats of termination, threats of retaliation unless "doing as he says", verbal abuse, screaming when talking either face to face or on the phone. Verbal abuse to the extent that employees are so stressed that it affects their health, home life and desire to even go to work is beyond shameful. Some extremely talented individuals have been either terminated or driven to resigning for unsubstantiated reasons. When a Management has the "power/authority" to end someone's employment based on things like keeping payroll below budget due to experienced employees salaries being above what thry could pay someone with less experience, there is a problem. Seems like Management can "trump up" instances/reasons for termination or documenting instances based on taking things "out of context". running. If Cubesmart feels this is an example of "Upper Management" everyone (employees and customers) should get out before it too late. If you have Cubesmart stock (CUBE), SELL before you loose your savings.

When hiring a District Manager, in addition to all of the usual requirements, hire an individual that also has people skills, respects women, and does not have an anger management issue. In the long run Cubesmart will attract a staff that considers Cubesmart as a place to thrive.

Low pay for manager position

Former Employee - Manager in Stuart, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Stuart, FL

I worked at CubeSmart

Pros

2 days off in a row

Cons

Constantly monitored via cameras. No trust.

Trust your employees

Manager

Current Employee - Manager in West Hempstead, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in West Hempstead, NY

I have been working at CubeSmart

Pros

The pay
    Early morning shifts

Cons

cleaning , lack of structure between managers and assistant managers. Lazy coworkers work on Sunday's