CubeSmart Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Christopher P. Marr

Pros
  • Good health benefits, no late nights (in 5 reviews)

• I genuinely like the work, but am really only surviving because of the free apartment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • It's not hard to move from manager to GM if the position comes available but being a general manager is about as high up as many will get (in 4 reviews)

• Very low pay (especially if you are a GM - see "free apartment") (in 4 reviews)

1. Satisfied but questions

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the company benefits, training and communication. District manager communications are good but seldom physically visits. Area managers are good but are too devoted to company and not employees.

Cons

Area managers need to understand that employees at actual locations do know what they need to work effectively. Whether it be retail products, supplies for maintenance of property, how to repair items on property or something simple as pens and paper for the office. Micro management from the Divisional Vice President is non stop for issues that don't really effect daily operations of the location.

Advice to Management

Nobody like micro management, especially when hCube (Headquarters) stresses that employees make our own decisions to get and keep the customer. Divisional Vice Presidents need to understand that every locations has their own issues and circumstances and that statistics on paper do not reflect how good or bad each location is doing.

2. not bad not great

I worked at CubeSmart full-time

Pros

easy work days not much to do have to do same daily tasks but really nice if you want to get an education while working or something like that

Cons

boring boring boring
    lots of travel

3. Great Company Full of People on a Mission

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture at CubeSmart is awesome. The company has a goal to be known as a top brand with outstanding customer service. It has an impressive training and onboarding program that helps employees learn about and live the culture. The company is not afraid to try new things and innovate, and are trying to change a pretty stagnant industry - self storage - that has never been looked on an exciting or seen in a favorable light, and I think they are doing a great job of it. They are growing very fast, and the leadership is very smart and has definite goals in mind. The leaders do a great job running the company and steering it toward achieving its goals. It's a fairly young company (meaning they have a lot of younger employees), so there is a lot energy and optimism. The overall vibe is very friendly, and hierarchy is not a barrier to getting things done. The leadership are all very friendly and approachable, and there is no pretense.

Cons

The biggest con is related to one of the biggest pros - rapid growth. Because the company is growing so quickly, the workload in some areas is high and the infrastructure (both organizational and technological) needed to operate a larger company is still evolving, leading to occasional lack of communication and inefficiencies. They are trying to hire people and build out the infrastructure, but these efforts are not keeping pace with the growth. Because there a lot of younger employees, the turnover is a kind of high because younger people tend to switch jobs often. The rapid growth of the company also means the leadership, which is used to running a smaller company, is still very involved - maybe too involved - in minor day-to-day decision making. Health and retirement benefits are pretty standard and aren't bad, but paid time off is lacking.

Advice to Management

Resist the urge to micro-manage. You've put together a great team - trust the, and let them take the ball and run with it.

5. FOrmer Employer Review

Former Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at CubeSmart full-time

Pros

Independent Work Environment
    Decent benefits
    Lots of interactions with customers of all walks of life and knowledge
    Onsite apartment and utilities for General Managers
    Free storage unit for General Manager, 50% off for Store Managers

Cons

Very little advancement opportunities
    No cost of living increases
    Miniscule if any rate increases
    Constant policy and procedural changes
    Bonus program changes often in favor of employer

Advice to Management

Give cost of living increases since wage increases are miniscule.

6. Good Luck

Current Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has great benefits.

Cons

ANY kind of lower level position be ready to WORK for the little bit that they pay you. Be ready to do manual labor pulling weeds and cleaning cubes in 30-100 degree weather. Be ready to have irate customers that bombard you daily. Gms/mgrs are what provide this company with the money to build it. Yet we are at the BOTTOM of the food chain in this company with little to no recoginition. Only critiques. One of the many reason I'm leaving.

Advice to Management

Recognize all the EFFORT your store managers put in to their properties. We work with the most difficult people and have to clean our own property, yet we get paid like crap. All other new employees get a video to show everyone their new. They don't do that for their GMs or MGRS. Probably because the turn over is SOOO bad. Want to know why, because you don't take care of your GMs or Managers. You expect so much from us while giving next to nothing in return. Just false promises.

7. Nice Facilities

Current Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CubeSmart

Pros

Decent pay and clean facilities.

Cons

Havent been here that long will write back in.

Advice to Management

Keep up good work with training.

Great Company

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CubeSmart is a growing company who is dedicated to being the best, not necessarily the biggest company in the industry.
    They are dedicated to their mission, values and teammates. They have great training and onboarding programs designed to give teammates the tools they need to succeed. They have also demonstrated the desire and ability to promote from within throughout all ranks in the company. Their new District Manager in Training program has already produced a new District Manager with more undoubtedly to come.
    CubeSmart has provided my family excellent opportunities. I'm proud to call myself a CubeSmart teammate!

Cons

I love CubeSmart and don't have anything negative to say.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop teammates and provide opportunities for those who are willing to work hard and perform for the company.

Nice place to work

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time

Pros

I joined CubeSmart 5 years ago and enjoy coming to work each day. The company makes a strong effort to improve the quality of life of its teammates and the home office is a nice place to work. Overall people try to treat each other with respect and there is opportunity for those that work hard.

Cons

Commute can be painful from the city or any distance on 202.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on a creating a positive working environment and as you grow don't lose the small company feel.

10. CubeSmart Opportunities

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time

Pros

Great communication from the leaders in our district and opportunity to become outstanding at your job, if you take advantage of all the resources offered through the learning center. If you are a self-learner and self-motivated, you can use your time to better yourself. If your store is doing well, you will be rewarded with a monthly bonus in addition to your hourly wage.

Cons

Depending on your property, this can be physically and mentally draining work. Compensation is ok, but could be better.

Advice to Management

The current plan to take away the Area Manager position is bad for morale. Now a General Manager position is the highest paid position that many will be able to achieve, taking away one of the best things about the company, the chance for growth. And when asking people to assume the responsibilities of the eliminated position, those people should be compensated, not just given extra duties for the same pay.

Hmmm

I worked at CubeSmart

Pros

I want to be honest here. You get to work by yourself without a boss hanging over your head everyday if you know what you are doing.

Cons

Even if you do know what you are doing and get annual accolades for a job well done, Upper Management has an attitude that lower staffing are pieces of %$^&. and stand around all day doing nothing. There is no room for growth in the company. Applied for 4 different posted positions with my 15 plus years in the industry, including relocating to another state, and Corporate store hired off the street to fill with fresh college youth, with no experience. Upper management is very clicky... it's all who you know or who you $%R& in order to get ahead. Health Benefits Changed for more profit for the company. No stock options for lower staff. No coverage for managers if someone quits. I worked 3 months straight with 1 day off a month. when my assistant quit. is that Illegal? hmmmm

Advice to Management

Cut some of your Upper Salaried Positions and give credit and pay to the k.folks who do the grunt work. I have never and i mean NEVER seen any upper management pick up a broom or mop. While they visit your store and wear Nice shoes pressed clothing. Lead by example! not Talk or threats.

RSS Feed </> Embed