CubeSmart Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Christopher P. Marr

Pros
  • Good health benefits, no late nights (in 5 reviews)

• I genuinely like the work, but am really only surviving because of the free apartment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • It's not hard to move from manager to GM if the position comes available but being a general manager is about as high up as many will get (in 4 reviews)

• Very low pay (especially if you are a GM - see "free apartment") (in 4 reviews)

Great Company

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CubeSmart is a growing company who is dedicated to being the best, not necessarily the biggest company in the industry.
    They are dedicated to their mission, values and teammates. They have great training and onboarding programs designed to give teammates the tools they need to succeed. They have also demonstrated the desire and ability to promote from within throughout all ranks in the company. Their new District Manager in Training program has already produced a new District Manager with more undoubtedly to come.
    CubeSmart has provided my family excellent opportunities. I'm proud to call myself a CubeSmart teammate!

Cons

I love CubeSmart and don't have anything negative to say.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop teammates and provide opportunities for those who are willing to work hard and perform for the company.

Nice place to work

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time

Pros

I joined CubeSmart 5 years ago and enjoy coming to work each day. The company makes a strong effort to improve the quality of life of its teammates and the home office is a nice place to work. Overall people try to treat each other with respect and there is opportunity for those that work hard.

Cons

Commute can be painful from the city or any distance on 202.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on a creating a positive working environment and as you grow don't lose the small company feel.

I felt compelled to write a review when I saw we're only at a 2.5

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture here is great, everyone is friendly and smiles, and it feels like all of my coworkers know what they're doing and are great at their jobs.

They recently shared the results of an engagement survey and the company scored in the 70-80%'s on pretty much every category (which is really high for anyone who knows about them). My previous company scored in the 30-40%'s.

I honestly look forward to coming to work every day.

Cons

I haven't been here too long yet, so I haven't noticed anything really bad. I have no problem making an update in the future if there's something I feel is worthy to share.

Advice to Management

Thanks for listening to your employees and taking our feedback. I've seen a few times where management have admitted their mistakes, asked for and listened to feedback, and are working to correct things.

It's a refreshing change of pace from most other jobs, and greatly appreciated.

5. Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at CubeSmart

Pros

Culture and values are very important.

Cons

Pay can be a little more competitive.

General Manager and Field Training Specialist

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time

Pros

Fair pay, lots of opportunities and room for growth.

Cons

I don't have any.

Great self storage company

Current Employee - General Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Career advancement, employee recognition rewards, tuition reimbursement, and flexability. As a great leader once put it: You have control of your own destiny.

Cons

Health benefits could be better. People thinking this is a job they can sit around and do nothing all day. (Hard to meet min word requirement)

Advice to Management

Management has made great strides with improving communication with its employees, but there is still room for improvement.

CubeSmart Response

Mar 12, 2015Director of Talent

Thank you for your feedback.

CubeSmart is committed to providing teammates continuous self-improvement and career growth. We encourage that teammates apply to internal and external opportunities
    ... More

Recently joined the CubeSmart team and am very happy with my decision

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been very impressed with the leadership; they seem to genuinely care about the teammates and are striving to make positive changes to the company culture and work environment. The people I have met so far are all engaged, energetic, intelligent professionals who I feel I will learn a lot from. The atmosphere at the corporate headquarters is fun and lively. Work-life balance is also high. From my vantage point, compensation seems to be above average. We are making strides towards becoming a true pay-for-performance culture.

Cons

The biggest con for me is the limited paid vacation time. I have spoken to several colleagues who feel the same way. I think to be competitive in the marketplace and thought of as an employer of choice, CubeSmart should offer more vacation time. I am also a strong believer that people are more effective and engaged employees when they are encouraged to take more time away.

Advice to Management

Continue to set a high bar for the people we hire. There seems to be an increased emphasis in the past year or two on hiring top talent and that trend should continue.

9. An Excellent Opportunity for Personal & Professional Growth

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

• Pay is among the highest in the self-storage industry with annual increases.
    • PTO and Health Benefits are among best offered anywhere
    • Complete and clear onboard training programs and excellent progressive training programs available
    • Expectations are clearly described in policy and procedure
    • Great Employee Recognition Programs in place for achievers
    • Success or failure is entirely self-formed

Cons

• Compared to how well CubeSmart performs in the national market, annual increases in the field are extremely nominal.
    • Bonuses & incentives in the field (where the selling & service occurs) are a pint-sized end result of a trickle down through a very large funnel.
    • Field employees are asked to participate in Surveys and Leader Assessments, but never hear results or see changes where they are needed.

Advice to Management

• Share a little more of the wealth with the hard workers in the field who keep the stores open & money coming in.

10. not bad not great

I worked at CubeSmart full-time

Pros

easy work days not much to do have to do same daily tasks but really nice if you want to get an education while working or something like that

Cons

boring boring boring
    lots of travel

11. Satisfied but questions

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the company benefits, training and communication. District manager communications are good but seldom physically visits. Area managers are good but are too devoted to company and not employees.

Cons

Area managers need to understand that employees at actual locations do know what they need to work effectively. Whether it be retail products, supplies for maintenance of property, how to repair items on property or something simple as pens and paper for the office. Micro management from the Divisional Vice President is non stop for issues that don't really effect daily operations of the location.

Advice to Management

Nobody like micro management, especially when hCube (Headquarters) stresses that employees make our own decisions to get and keep the customer. Divisional Vice Presidents need to understand that every locations has their own issues and circumstances and that statistics on paper do not reflect how good or bad each location is doing.

RSS Feed </> Embed