www.cubesmart.com

2.7

Christopher P. Marr

Shocked and Saddened

I have been working at CubeSmart

Pros

i am a current employee and love working at cubesmart. there were many great things to say about this company up until a year ago. the company has done a complete 360 and the changes are affecting morale within departments and a company as a whole.

Cons

i struggle to write this review as it shocks me to see how certain employees in the organization that are good employees are being treated. it is quite obvious that females are the current targets. certain employees are left out, intentionally excluded and treated like they don't belong and made to look as if they are not doing their job. i have yet to understand why nothing is being done when it's so obvious to a number of employees in the corporate office and out in the field; yet management refuses or chooses to close their eyes and avoid addressing the issue at hand. there are bullies working here and are running good employees out the door. i have personally seen with my own eyes how certain employees are treated with no respect and it makes me want to speak up but i honestly feel it would fall on deaf ears.

investigate! do your part and look into what is happening within this organization.

CubeSmart Response

Dec 19, 2014HR Project Coordinator

Thank you for your review. We sincerely appreciate your feedback.

We strive to create a workplace environment free of harassment, discrimination and retaliation. We value our teammates and make
    ... More

Store Manager.

I worked at CubeSmart

Pros

No late hours they close at 6pm on weekdays 5pm on Saturdays and 3pm on sundays. Thats about all i can say about the Pros.

Cons

The staff is extremely miss treated and under paid. Don't expect your hard work to ever pay off here, at most your rewarded with a 10 cent raise after 2 yrs, there is also no room for growth in that company, everyone there is pretty stagnant and upper management likes to keep it that way. Not only do they expect you to be a their salesman for storage units, you are also their full time Janitor and grounds Keeper. They expect you to go above and beyond and be on point 100% of the time, which is to be expected from any job you work at, but it is always over looked and and never recognized and the praise always goes to the Dm's who are always on some sort on vacation. When the store falls short of there numbers for the month, they suddenly appear and have nothing to do with falling short. CubeSmart proclaims they are all about the Wow culture.. I completely agree when it comes to being their customers.... But dont think for a moment, when its freezing cold out and you have to show an empty storage unit outside your not aloud to where a sweater unless its a company jacket...Come On people ! you sell storage units! A huge number of the General mangers of the stores also are just as skeezy, I have seen first hand some of the most deceitful action come from them and it is always overlooked, because the DMS are never willing to listen to the store mangers who are lower than general managers.
    Dont let me forget to tell you they have cut most of the holidays.... Do not even think about making plans labor day or memorial day which was taken away, but not for Corporate or the Dm's, and they will be sure to let you know!!!!
    But when you wanna use the little vacation time you get they will try to tell you how you can and cannot use it.
    All in all Cubesmart treats their employees very poorly, anyone starting out the I can assure you, you will love it at first until your there for a while and your eyes will quickly open.

Sneaks, Liars and Thieves

I worked at CubeSmart

Pros

The only benefit working for this company was that The majority of employees know what's going on and stick together.

Cons

Whistleblowers are not investigated properly and are used against employees that result in the employee suddenly being let go from the company due to alleged performance.

If you speak up....YOU will be sorry.

Executives pick and choose who they want to write up or terminate while certain employees who display total insubordination and unprofessional behavior continue to remain employed.

Since when is it acceptable to manage a company by fear and treat the employees that work tirelessly like crap.

There are serious issues occurring within the company. Ignoring it is not working!

Cubesmart is ok

I have been working at CubeSmart

Pros

Easy job to do. Pay is fair for the work done. Customers can be hard to deal with. Can be physically demanding at times.

Cons

No room for advancement and pay raises are a joke. Company is very spread out and communication is a problem

Former Employee

I worked at CubeSmart

Pros

No room for advancement, higher ups a joke

Cons

WOW is a joke, no one likes the new culture

Don't care about the employee

Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CubeSmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There's no perks. company do care about no one

Cons

Management talks about every employee, never support the employee when it comes to customer being disrespectful to the employee's. GM always want to put the duties onto the managers.

You over charge the customer for units but you can only give employee's 11 cents raises. District Manager & Area managers talks about upper management in front of manager.

Friendly

Current Employee - Manager in Streamwood, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Streamwood, IL

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly, nice people, got to work alone. Responsibility

Cons

Hours, low pay, rude customers

Recently joined the CubeSmart team and am very happy with my decision

I have been working at CubeSmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been very impressed with the leadership; they seem to genuinely care about the teammates and are striving to make positive changes to the company culture and work environment. The people I have met so far are all engaged, energetic, intelligent professionals who I feel I will learn a lot from. The atmosphere at the corporate headquarters is fun and lively. Work-life balance is also high. From my vantage point, compensation seems to be above average. We are making strides towards becoming a true pay-for-performance culture.

Cons

The biggest con for me is the limited paid vacation time. I have spoken to several colleagues who feel the same way. I think to be competitive in the marketplace and thought of as an employer of choice, CubeSmart should offer more vacation time. I am also a strong believer that people are more effective and engaged employees when they are encouraged to take more time away.

Continue to set a high bar for the people we hire. There seems to be an increased emphasis in the past year or two on hiring top talent and that trend should continue.

Smoke and Mirrors

I worked at CubeSmart

Pros

Benefits are reasonably priced and the company matches 401K. The company needs to stop playing favorites.

Cons

Do NOT take a job working for this company. You will regret it!

Two VP's are running this company and have clearly teamed up to drive employees out the door. There is no WoW and no collaboration. They can say it, train on it and write it all over the place, but actions speak louder than words. When is someone going to look at what is happening and do something about it?

You have bullies working for this company that are liars and make up untruths about employees to get them out the door.

We are working in a CULT environment and if you aren't one of the favorites you are treated like an outsider. Employees are pinned against one another.

Annual increase amounts are a slap in the face to all employees. I would like to see the overpaid executives live on $23k a year and work their butts off for a 10 cent raise. The bonus structure has completely changed and it's so obvious that they're planning on not paying out full bonuses this year. How can they when they furnished a building with outrageous furniture, televisions and paintings that only 100 plus employees see on a daily basis. More money in the executives pockets!

It is definitely in with the young and new and out with the old and people are being set up to fail regardless of how good of an employee they are to this company.

It's amazing how you can be doing something right for so long and then made to feel that you're a complete idiot and have no idea what you're doing. Can you say set up?

How is it that two management employees can get away with treating people this way? It is plain old simple bullying and employee harassment.

If anyone is listening something needs to be done! The majority of people are miserable and unhappy working for CubeSmart and shame on the executive level team that sees it and does absolutely nothing about it.

CubeSmart Response

Oct 15, 2014HR Project Coordinator

Thank you for your comment; we appreciate the feedback and you sharing your concerns. We take all feedback as an opportunity to consider change that will improve our workplace.

... More

Don't Work Here

I worked at CubeSmart full-time

Pros

Salary is ok. Benefits are marginal

Cons

Upper Management picks favorites and harasses and abuses the new employees

Get your managers to grow up and stop acting like bullies to new employees. Abuse and Harassment are not good business practice, nor is it mature.