Cubic

Updated December 22, 2014
Updated December 22, 2014
3.4

Bradley H. Feldmann

Pros
  • 9 80 work schedule only good thing (in 8 reviews)

• Great people to work with, and the work ethic was also vey good (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • illusion that there's work life balance but if you don't work 10 (in 3 reviews)

• It is a very political environment, and long-term employess who have strong relationships (personal relationships) with top execs tend to fare better (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A great time of learning and advancement.

Former Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cubic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leading edge of technology. Continue product development. and engineering expertise.

Cons

Constantly working to improve the business. Changing working environments.

Keep your best workers and senior work force.

Great Environment

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Cubic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Casual atmosphere, interesting work, great teammates, free snacks and drinks, open office/no cubicles, working hard to get new work

Cons

could be better organized, very young/new staff, need more leadership

Severe lack of communication and Leadership

I worked at Cubic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people working in the trenches. Flexible schedules, average pay

Cons

No one at the helm, all upper leadership tend to cover their own, and way too many chiefs trying to drive the same bus

Let the professionals you hire do the job they are hired to do without tying their hands with politics and intimidation.

Software Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cubic as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great Environment, people are welcoming and helpful. Have free fruits and coffee, gym and gameroom.

Cons

Need to provide more opportunities for interns to stay on board

Software Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cubic as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Cubic has great team along side with great managment. Cool projects to work in R&D department.

Cons

I didn't like how the company didn't push towards more SE projects in the R&D department.

Great Employment Oportunities

Former Employee - Instructor Trainer in Fort Lee, VA
    Former Employee - Instructor Trainer in Fort Lee, VA

I worked at Cubic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy application process, assistance is offered.

Cons

Job ends when contract ends.

If you say the job will last, at least one full year, then I think the job should last at least one year. Not one month before.

Contracting job, low pay, cheap equipment

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Leavenworth, KS
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Leavenworth, KS

I worked at Cubic as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good retirement benefits. Lots of good old boys, no women, not many people of any diversity. Hired by the project, so if you like change this is a good place, however, very rarely will they hire you again once your contract is up, almost always a one and done employer. Lots of managers, no one doing much of any work. Usually in a government facility, so those vary depending on the contract. No reason to be loyal because each contract is different and they usually churn and burn employees. Not much opportunity here, they just seem like a shell of the company they once were. Diversified locations and projects require quick learning in what seems like small dictatorships.

Cons

Bad health insurance, weird management structure. Lots of problems. Too much yelling, too much drama. Cheap, bad equipment. Not given proper technology to do the job. Fearful culture, stupid decision-making by leadership impacting everyone. People in charge of local office are never the same, they have a rotating door of old white men doing HR. Not very well educated people doing payroll, lots of local problems. Nosey, strange, intrusive environment. Old white dudes don't always work hard or do things right. Group think is an understatement. Sickening gossip and politics. Show up, do your job and leave. Don't worry too much, this is a one and done type employer. Trust me, if you do go back, you won't get paid more and they don't care about seniority. Don't buy anything major while working for cubic, because your job will be gone in a year anyway, so just sit tight. Don't go buy a fancy car, this is contracting, and your paycheck is not stable. Your contract will not get renewed and you will be out of job soon anyway, so don't get too excited about this place. Watch your back, old men gossip like crazy. No one really likes each other, they fight and gossip and make trouble behind people's backs in an insane way, like junior high. Don't expect these people to care about you or your co-workers, they just want deliverables. All the old men hang out together and rip people apart.... the most hateful miserable group of people in the building. The government workers are lame too, but they hate you because you are a contractor. An overall very unpleasant place to be.

Cut out so many levels of management. Just because someone was an officer in the military doesn't mean they know what they are doing outside of the military. Lots of managers with no one doing much of anything. So much could be fixed with this company if they were actually interested in turning on a computer and could actually do what they are hired to do. Old officers make bad managers and are killing this firms growth.

Special Ops Instructor? ...have your will filled out.

Former Employee - Instructor/SME in Camp Pendleton, CA
    Former Employee - Instructor/SME in Camp Pendleton, CA

I worked at Cubic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cubic is like the Wal-Mart of contract companies. They're buying up every gov't contract they get within 100 miles of so they can afford to be picky. If you have the quals, you'll probably be working with similarly qualified people....that way you'll have friends to tell about how much you hate your job.

Cons

Where to start...
    -First, there is NO Statement of Work; you'll be expected to do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING the client wants. I was hired as a SME/ Instructor, I spent a lot of time washing cars and taking out trash.
    -Pay would be good if you had some vague idea what your job was going to be that week the pay might be OK. But whenever the client drops the ball, your day just got 3 hours longer. If the day runs long, too bad, its a salaried position. But if there's nothing to do or no class to run, too bad! Cubic wants its 8 hours, even if you just stare at the ceiling.
    -Insurance is a joke. Cubic will shamelessly duck paying workman's comp, no matter how obvious it becomes. The vision "insurance" is nothing but a discount, I got a better price with a AAA membership. Apparently there's dental, but good luck finding time to use it.
    -Your Program Manager will probably be someone you've never met, but they'll still be writing your performance evaluation, based solely on what one or two people in the client organization thinks about you. Your Program Manager might not even know anything about the job you were brought on to do. They know about writing reports and navigating Cubic's maze of bureaucracy, but that's it.
    -On the contract I worked for over a year, I repeatedly saw negligence and violations of safety procedures that led to injuries and near-fatalities. To protect the company when someone finally DID die on the job, I presented a documented timeline of the safety issues I saw and how incidents had been covered up. By the time I arrived home that same evening, I received a call telling me that I would no longer be working for Cubic.
    "SAFETY" usually trumps client satisfaction, but to make it clear, CUBIC WOULD RATHER SEE YOU DEAD THAN RISK UPSETTING A CLIENT.
    Bottom Line: The money is only so-so but at least the job is miserable.

-Decide what your employees job is, stop expecting them to do "B,C,D, and E" if you only plan to pay for "A".
    -If your gov't clients knew everything they wouldn't pay for SME's or Instructors; when a Cubic SME says the client is unsafe, a little support might lose the contract, but protects the employees and the company.
    -If you're going to hire a Manager, maybe have that person be in the same time zone as the people he/she is supposed to be managing.

I would never go back

Former Employee - Programmer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Programmer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cubic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There were none, they only ever threatened termination because there were no sales. There were no sales because there was no sales force to try and get sales

Cons

Living day to day with the possibility of losing your job because of things that were not in your control.

Good workplace culture

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineering in Tullahoma, TN
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineering in Tullahoma, TN

I worked at Cubic as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

No benefits as an intern, but flexible work hours and friendly, competent coworkers who welcome you into all aspects of the job.

Cons

At times there was a lack of work to be done, but demand goes through different seasons at Cubic, with varying workloads.