Culinary Institute Reviews

Reset
3.1
L. Timothy Ryan

1. Student worker

Pros

Work with any availability without complaints.

Cons

Not as many hours regularly.

Advice to Management

Management has been great to us.

Poor Communication, Bad work culture as result of favoritism and antic behavior

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hyde Park, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hyde Park, NY

I worked at Culinary Institute full-time

Pros

Worked with industry experts teaching staff. Wonderfully talented maintenance and IT Staff. Beautiful and well maintained Campus.

Cons

Degrading leadership. Unprofessional employees in professional roles. Shared Adversary between departments. and much more......

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the true value of your staff's strengthens and weaknesses. There are too many hardworking employees that are undervalued. Additionally, there are too many lazy employees that there only due to who they know rather than what they can add. (I bet anyone CIA employee who reads this will know of at least one person in that role.)

A memorable experience

I worked at Culinary Institute full-time

Pros

At the time that I was working there, the people I worked with were like my family. We looked out for one another and we worked as a team. My boss was supportive when I returned to school to finish my Bachelor's and gave me an awesome recommendation when I was promoted.

Cons

The pay is low....very low. I moved from a position had very little responsibilities to a position where I supported three people and I was told that it was a lateral move. Things became even more strenuous when my supervisor, in the new position, wasn't really open to doing what a supervisor should be doing. I did many things above my pay grade and went above and beyond what was asked of me but when my review came up, it only assessed how my supervisor felt that I interacted with one individual. I was always professionally cordial to the individual but I defended myself when she decided to stereotype me.

Advice to Management

To attract and retain employees that are experienced and educated then you must show that they are appreciated by paying them competitively AND using them in capacities that will help promote the mission and goals of the CIA.... While putting their degrees to work.

Little Room for Growth; Lacks Organization; Disgruntled Employees

Current Employee - Manager in Saint Helena, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Saint Helena, CA

I have been working at Culinary Institute (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free Food, Good Benefits, Beautiful View (if you are one of the chosen few with a window)

Cons

Many positions are revolving doors. Morale is low, and departments do not work well with one another. There is little to no positive reinforcement, and people are quick to throw people under the bus to prevent public degradation. The computer systems are archaic and make production slow and tedious. Systems exist just because "that's the way we have always done it." The greed of management is transparent in everything that we do. Don't have kitchen space? Find it; add another class. Students = $$. We have 10 conferences a year and we have burned out all the staff? Hire new staff; add two conferences. Conferences = $$.

Advice to Management

There are a few gems in management, but many of the managers distance themselves from lower management and are completely out of touch. There are numerous meetings in which all levels of employees are encouraged to speak their minds. One asked "why do you think morale here is lower than most troops in Iraq?" There were a few chuckles, but the response was lackluster and glossed over the point; people are miserable, and everyone knows upper management doesn't care. If an employee leaves, there are 10 people waiting to apply for that position. But if you think clients and students don't ask why they've had 4 different points of contact in two years, you're insane. Stop treating people like they should be grateful to be in your presence, and perhaps look people in the eye and shake their hand when you know they work for you. Tim Ryan is notorious for looking beyond the small fish to find the more important person behind you. I've met the man 10 times, and I guarantee he couldn't pick me out of a police lineup.

Prestige Not Worth the Pain

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Helena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Helena, CA

I worked at Culinary Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Prestige of working at the best culinary school in the world. Beautiful campus. Opportunity to try great food from all over the world. A few of the higher-ups are good mentors who provide encouragement and solid advice. Some of the co-workers are fun!

Cons

If you're not an instructor or a director-level employee, you're regarded as disposable. Many of the chef-instructors are haughty and dismissive. Poor communication between departments. Some of the directors provide little guidance or mentorship to employees. You can go very high here if you're a CIA graduate. If not, it depends on how much your supervisor advocates for you. This is an institution, with all the pluses and minuses that come with it; change is very slow to come.

Advice to Management

Don't treat the West Coast location as lesser offshoot of Hyde Park. Place more value on non-instructor employees. Encourage supervisors to mentor their reports. Pay more attention to quality of supervisors.

A culture of employee frustration and distrust

Former Employee - Consumer Services in Saint Helena, CA
    Former Employee - Consumer Services in Saint Helena, CA

I worked at Culinary Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

CIA status is high. The opportunity to interact with very high-end culinary professionals and budding chefs. Great exposure to learn about and taste foods from all over the world. Decent benefits, some great hardworking team members who really care about the school's mission and values.

Cons

Departments do not work in unison, but are competing and pitched against each other. High level of frustration among faculty and staff. Horrible employee culture and backstabbing. The Managing Director of the CIA Greystone campus, Thomas Bensel, highly favors some employees and degrades others publicly.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your employees. Encourage REAL team spirit and pride in a job well done! Employees on all levels have unique qualities to contribute. They are your strongest assets.

Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Hyde Park, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Hyde Park, NY

I worked at Culinary Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great working environment, Passion for work, interacting and working with the students

Cons

constantly short staffed, high volume, can be very demanding

Advice to Management

Communication was always good within our small family, however as a whole communication lacked between departments. Hard to advance within company. Overall great job!

9. I was an office assistant in the Food & Beverage Office at The Culinary Institute of America.

Current Employee - Office Assistant in Hyde Park, NY
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Hyde Park, NY

Pros

employees good to work with good benefits teamwork

Cons

need to take vacation time when offices are closed (during summer and winter)

Advice to Management

N/A

Very Negative experience

Former Employee - Student Services in Hyde Park, NY
    Former Employee - Student Services in Hyde Park, NY

Pros

The pros of working there was the beautiful campus. The facilities are kept extremely clean and everything looks beautiful and happy except for the faces of the employees who are working there. It's all smoke and mirrors. A beautiful facade with terrible treatment of employees underneath.

Cons

Completely inflexible about getting time off. Management dictated when vacation time could be used. The "management" style is based on intimidation and harassment. They like to remind hard working and valuable staff that they are an "at-will employer." The low morale is rampant throughout the institution and even the students feel it. It is a shame since it has a beautiful campus and beautiful buildings, but the administration is the worst! A hostile work environment! Horrible leadership. Promotions seemed based on politics not talent and hard work.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the top administrators and start fresh. Start paying attention to the feedback that you get from the employees. Your greed and hostile approach will catch up with you. I think it already has.

All facade, and no substance.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Hyde Park, NY
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Hyde Park, NY

I worked at Culinary Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Committed faculty and staff. Location, the beautiful Hudson Valley, and free food (some food actually is edible, but most of the stuff is overloaded with butter and grease).

Cons

Faded Glory, the school is resting on its reputation of the past. Recently, as the school is struggling to meet minimum enrollment to the keep the place afloat, management turned to intimidation and harassment to keep the work force in check. Happy those who were laid-off or fired over the last year. Unqualified employees will rise or get promoted to his or her highest level of incompetence. For everybody else, there is the revolving door.

Advice to Management

It's time to realize you have reached the point of no return and to resign. Advice to the board: Bring in the cavalry to save the place from its "leadership," bring an end to crony-ism and nepotism, and restore of what used to be a good culinary arts school.

RSS Feed </> Embed