Cullen/Frost Bankers

Cullen/Frost Bankers Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Cullen/Frost Bankers Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman and CEO, Frost National Bank Dick Evans Jr.

Dick Evans Jr.

You could work here forever, if you are content doing the same job forever.

Relationship Manager II (Current Employee)

ProsEveryone stays forever, low turnover. Strong, stable bank. Conservative atmosphere. The bank has a great reputation in the Texas market, and it helps to bring in new clients.

ConsNo mentorship programs. Not many opportunities for growth. Management is not approachable, so you can feel stuck in your corner. Your annual bonus compensation is tied 100% to growth in your portfolio. You can bring in a lot of great loans, but if the credit line is at a low balance OR you have a large loan pay off, you will not get compensated for the new production.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be more approachable, and involved with lower level employees for mentoring, and career development.

Good experience, but could use some updates.

Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat work environment and benefits package. Stable company and very little turnover.

ConsWay behind in technology and in compensation. Training needs some work. Very tight with expenses.

Amazing Place to Work For

Associate Relationship Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsTRAINING and of course, THE PEOPLE. They invest a lot of time and money into helping you succeed. Training consists of a two month, all expenses paid, training program at HQ in San Antonio. Covers everything from analytics to business etiquette to corporate culture to networking within and outside of the organization. Almost everyone you encounter is there to help you and you can feel they want you to succeed.

ConsLittle to say here. System technologies are poor but improving. Starting time-off is minimal.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people, good place to work

Secretary (Former Employee)

ProsWorking here was a great experience. There are great people employed here, and a very strong and admirable culture. They really do take care of their people in that benefits are great and there is a tuition assistance program I was able to take advantage of.

My department was very laid back, taking time off was easy so long as you let someone know, and work-life balance was excellent. My boss always made sure to put family first.

This was my first job out of college and it taught me a lot. I appreciated my time here and I was sad to leave.

ConsFor me, personally, I felt as though I was in a dead end role. This does not seem to be the case in other departments within the bank. I expressed interest in another department for a little over a year, even interviewing, and got nowhere. When I asked for advice on how to move into that department it fell on deaf ears.

The work was also too easy at times. I rarely felt challenged.

Advice to Senior ManagementA mentor program would be an excellent addition so that employees can get advice on their career path and also have a chance to shadow the departments they might have interest in.

Frost treats their customers and employees well

Teller (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Prosthe business is not about numbers, tellers have no referral goals and are not pushed into selling to every client. Instead the focus is on building relationships so you get to know your customers and it makes coming to work a good part of the day. Coworkers are selected well and you become fast friends. Management does their best to be fair. Great job to have while trying to get through school. And there's tuition reimbursement!

ConsThe schedule is not very flexible. You have to work a certain shift every single day, management tries to work with your school schedule but options are limited. Small company means that higher positions are very limited so advancement is contained to lower level positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue doing what you're doing! Frost is a great place to work.

Friendly

Associate Relationship Manager I (Current Employee)

ProsPositive environment, great culture, some camaraderie

Consnot much help at the beginning, until after their formal training

Good job, Good people, Advancing can be difficult.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsPeople are genuinely kind and caring! A great starting place as personality and seeming a "good fit" with the company can outweigh actual hard skills.

ConsGreat work-life balance, salary on the low side (have heard of employees successfully negotiating for higher pay). The big issue is a lack of advancement. It seems like some roles are targeted for promotion whereas others are expected to never change. HR can be a helpful resource for career development but some people say you must leave and come back in order to move up. Also, all learning in on the job; no structured training.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within! Provide more continuing education programs and resources to invest in employees.

Good place to work

ProsCulture is very neat. During credit training, entire class got to meet with CEO, CFO, and other executives during breakfasts. Work-life balance is great.

ConsPay is quite low for entry level jobs. Many competitors offer more for same position. Management claims that they pay more at higher positions than competitors but there is no way to prove that.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more for entry level jobs to compete with other banks. Move faster with integrating the latest technologies. Pay more to entry level jobs to help keep valuable employees.

Good Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat atmosphere and awesome people.

ConsMy position was a lot of micromanaging,

Teller

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA Great place to work

ConsI have no cons for them

Worked for Cullen/Frost Bankers? Contribute to the Community!