Cullen/Frost Bankers

Cullen/Frost Bankers Reviews

Updated October 11, 2014
Updated October 11, 2014
3.8

Cullen/Frost Bankers Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman and CEO, Frost National Bank Dick Evans Jr.
Dick Evans Jr.

Great place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Cullen/Frost Bankers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

From our chairman to department managers all are great and family oriented

Cons

None at this time other than company picnics or performance bonuses would be great

Keep up the good work

Great place, with some serious flaws

Current Employee - Vice President in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Cullen/Frost Bankers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company, very stable, most people are very nice.

Cons

Some departments have extremely weak management. People stay a long time, and then develop a feeling of entitlement to promotions, regardless of skill. I have seen talented new hires get fired quickly because of office politics that the manager did not nip in the bud.

Assign mentors to new employees, the way Microsoft annd other big companies do. Make it someone from another department. New employees need to have someone other than "rivals" in their own department or HR to talk to.

Paid my bills and drove me mad.

Former Employee - Bank Teller
    Former Employee - Bank Teller

I worked at Cullen/Frost Bankers (more than 5 years)

Pros

Insurance - but it's not cheap.
    No cost for up to 3 bank accounts.
    Seemingly impossible to get fired.
    Depending on the branch, they may order things like office snacks and juice or something for you.

Cons

Inconsistent rules - "grey area" varies per customer and situation - makes a very difficult transition period between branches.
    Seemingly impossible to get fired means there is a lot of dead weight - and you'll get to be the one to take up everybody's slack if you care about doing a good job yourself. You will not be appreciated.
    You will work Saturdays. You will not get paid a higher percentage for it, either (unlike many other banks/credit unions.)
    On that note, pay is low for the position vs. other banks.
    Some locations very old and OSHA questionable.

For the love of god, stop sweeping problems under the rug.
    If you speak to an employee about a behavioral problem, FOLLOW UP and take another action if they do not comply.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Teller in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Teller in Austin, TX

I worked at Cullen/Frost Bankers part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The experience and training that you receive from Frost is great! They are a wonderful company to work with and are constantly expanding to new locations

Cons

Unless things have changed, promotions seem to be based more on time with the company as opposed to merit which is a little disheartening.

Continue building and having the growth potential for the employees

Great culture, low pay

Current Employee - Intern in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Cullen/Frost Bankers as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Culture is everything here.

Cons

Felt like they were more concerned about selling the culture to the interns rather than making sure we left with good experience. Lots of interns struggled to stay busy all summer. Pay is not competitive, very low actually. Made more money waiting tables in high school. The internship program is more of a feeder into the ARM (Associate Relationship Manager) Program after graduation, rather than an opportunity to learn a lot and come out with experience relevant to your major.

Pay should be industry standard, especially for a company that brags about its financial success.

You could work here forever, if you are content doing the same job forever.

Current Employee - Relationship Manager II
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager II

I have been working at Cullen/Frost Bankers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone stays forever, low turnover. Strong, stable bank. Conservative atmosphere. The bank has a great reputation in the Texas market, and it helps to bring in new clients.

Cons

No mentorship programs. Not many opportunities for growth. Management is not approachable, so you can feel stuck in your corner. Your annual bonus compensation is tied 100% to growth in your portfolio. You can bring in a lot of great loans, but if the credit line is at a low balance OR you have a large loan pay off, you will not get compensated for the new production.

Need to be more approachable, and involved with lower level employees for mentoring, and career development.

Good experience, but could use some updates.

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Cullen/Frost Bankers full-time

Pros

Great work environment and benefits package. Stable company and very little turnover.

Cons

Way behind in technology and in compensation. Training needs some work. Very tight with expenses.

Amazing Place to Work For

Current Employee - Associate Relationship Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Relationship Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Cullen/Frost Bankers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

TRAINING and of course, THE PEOPLE. They invest a lot of time and money into helping you succeed. Training consists of a two month, all expenses paid, training program at HQ in San Antonio. Covers everything from analytics to business etiquette to corporate culture to networking within and outside of the organization. Almost everyone you encounter is there to help you and you can feel they want you to succeed.

Cons

Little to say here. System technologies are poor but improving. Starting time-off is minimal.

Good people, good place to work

Former Employee - Secretary
    Former Employee - Secretary

I worked at Cullen/Frost Bankers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working here was a great experience. There are great people employed here, and a very strong and admirable culture. They really do take care of their people in that benefits are great and there is a tuition assistance program I was able to take advantage of.

My department was very laid back, taking time off was easy so long as you let someone know, and work-life balance was excellent. My boss always made sure to put family first.

This was my first job out of college and it taught me a lot. I appreciated my time here and I was sad to leave.

Cons

For me, personally, I felt as though I was in a dead end role. This does not seem to be the case in other departments within the bank. I expressed interest in another department for a little over a year, even interviewing, and got nowhere. When I asked for advice on how to move into that department it fell on deaf ears.

The work was also too easy at times. I rarely felt challenged.

A mentor program would be an excellent addition so that employees can get advice on their career path and also have a chance to shadow the departments they might have interest in.

Friendly

Current Employee - Associate Relationship Manager I
    Current Employee - Associate Relationship Manager I

I have been working at Cullen/Frost Bankers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Positive environment, great culture, some camaraderie

Cons

not much help at the beginning, until after their formal training