Cultural Care Au Pair Reviews

1. Au Pair Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Cultural Care Au Pair

Pros

- new exchange experience - new cultural experience - ability to travel and make new friends - new friends - good experience depends on the family and how the au pair is prepared

Cons

- unclear guide lines regarding work hours and what counts as work hours - short transition times if you go into rematch

2. Au Pair

I worked at Cultural Care Au Pair

Pros

Do Not have any bills to leave in the USA

Cons

Leaving in your work place does not give you enough freedom

Director

Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Cultural Care Au Pair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My favorite part of working here is the awesome, smart, hardworking people. My 2nd favorite thing about working here is all the different parts of me I get to utilize. Sometimes I get to be a social extrovert, and sometimes an analytical introvert. Sometimes I get to run around, do public speaking, make gift bags, lead a training, interview candidates, and have fun at work. I help support a staff that provides amazing experiences for au pairs and host families. There are indeed long-term career opportunities for the Best & Brightest.

Cons

A lot of the cons here seem to be from actual au pairs who didn't have the best situation, or from independent contractors (LCCs) who contract part-time with us. It is unfortunate when anyone affiliated with the company has a bad experience, but it's worth noting that full-time staff in the office (like me), or in the field, have a very different experience than those who are au pairs or independent contractors with us.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your staff. They are smart and thoughtful.

5. au pair

Former Employee - Au Pair in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Au Pair in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Cultural Care Au Pair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

my host family was very supportive, kind,even though there difficult moments, they were very nice to me when I need it the most.

Cons

my schedule was hard to handdle because it was fixed every day according to the mom's schedule, so I never knew how it was going to be for the next week, she changed it all the time.

6. Good Experience

Former Employee - Au Pair in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Au Pair in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cultural Care Au Pair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Possibility to explore a different culture

Cons

It depends on luck whether you get a great family

Advice to Management

Be more concerned about the Au Pair's well-being than the Host-families. Remember the Au Pair is here alone and relying on you

7. Wonderful experience and company - only if you take your time to find the right family.

Current Employee - Au Pair in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Au Pair in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Cultural Care Au Pair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good support (in most cases) Great life experience You get to know amazing people from all over the world

Cons

Low salary Many times they will support the family during a rematch and not the Au pair (even if they've been abusive in different ways)

The very definition of a thankless job...

Current Employee - Local Childcare Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Local Childcare Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cultural Care Au Pair part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being exposed to a variety of cultures and building relationships with au pairs and host families that actually are interested in cultural exchange. In terms of management, the only ray of sunshine there is the Local Development Director who is very passionate, committed, competent, and positive.

Cons

The pay is absolutely horrid. You are paid $25 PER MONTH PER HOST FAMILY. Yes, only $25. So IF you have the part-time max of 15 families in your area, then you will make $375 per month (oh yeah, and that's before taxes are taken out since you're paid as an independent contractor). Every once in awhile you will get extra bits of pay for things like conducting an interview or having a family actually bring on an au pair, but these "bonuses" are also nominal. The organization tries to convince you that you can make so much money if you get involved in the sales side of things, but it's not worth it. I put a lot of effort into sales, and the $600 you receive for getting a new host family "sale" doesn't even come close to making up for the hundreds of leads you have to sift through before getting there. It's a big waste of time. The lack of consistency in the organization is frustrating. So many of the management seem brain-washed into this culture of it being ok to get very little compensation for a lot of work. I think it's easy for them to get away with it since so many of the staff members, especially the field employees, are stay-at-home moms that are looking for something to fill their time and don't actually need the money they are making. I am expected to answer calls and emails pretty much anywhere between 8am and 10pm, even though it is a part-time job and it's not uncommon for an LCC to have another job in addition to this one. If you don't get back to people immediately, they get stern with you and talk down to you as if you are an incompetent child. I have so many frustrations with this organization that it would take hours to write them all. The takeaway from this is that it is a terrible organization to work for and you should run away if you are even considering working for them. Don't do it. Not worth it. I can't wait to be out from underneath this place - it cannot come soon enough.

Advice to Management

Recognize that LCCs have lives aside from this job and that they cannot be at your beck and call every minute of every day. If you want something done with immediacy, tasks like that should fall on the people that are actually getting a full-time salary.

Incredibly disappointing experience. Little training and mentorship. Management does not value people on the ground.

Former Employee - Local Childcare Consultant
    Former Employee - Local Childcare Consultant

I worked at Cultural Care Au Pair

Pros

LCCs work with wonderful au pairs, host families and fellow LCCs.

Cons

Pay is poultry - this is more of a volunteer position than a job. Concerns are not heard by management. Rules are bent ALL THE TIME.

Advice to Management

Listen to your LCCs, stay in State Department compliance. Take care of Au Pairs. Kick out host families that do not comply. It should not be about the bottom line!

Au pair

Current Employee - Au Pair in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Au Pair in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cultural Care Au Pair

Pros

Cultural experience, travels and possibility to take american classes ate rhe only pro about this job

Cons

Under paid, dont pay over time even over time is not allowed

11. ok company

Current Employee - Au Pair in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Au Pair in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Cultural Care Au Pair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

they are a solid company

Cons

they make a lot of promises and never do anything

Advice to Management

No caring about the employees

RSS Feed </> Embed