Cumming Reviews

Applicant

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant Applicant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant Applicant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cumming

Pros

Really great interview process with an emphasis on transparency. The hiring team is amazing. They go out of their way to reach out and make contact and are completely honest about the entire process. I have never gone through such a pleasant hiring process.

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

Director

Current Employee - Director, Business Development in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Business Development in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Cumming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When first approached with the opportunity to join Cumming, I had been with the same employer for over 8 years, quite happy, and not looking for a change. However, as I learned more about Cumming’s internal management, culture, and growth projections for 2020…I found myself eager for a new challenge. Now having been at Cumming for over 4 years…I can look back with confidence to say that I made a great move. Some of the “Pros” of working at Cumming include: A work hard / play hard atmosphere, advancement opportunities for entrepreneurial & motivated employees, rewarding, fun, energetic, challenging, and the ability to collaborate with the best and the brightest talent in the business.

Cons

Cumming continues to grow at a rapid pace. In order to maintain their company culture while also achieving revenue goals, change is necessary. If you are an employee who fears change…then Cumming is not a fit for you.

Advice to Management

Stick to the 2020 vision…and continue to invest in your greatest asset…your employees.

3. Started Here and Staying Here

Current Employee - Director, Cost Management in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Cost Management in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Cumming full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

With a college-bred construction management degree in hand I was poised to get to work for a top notch general contractor until I heard about Cumming Construction Management. Nearly 8 years later (some in my generation would consider that a lifetime with a single employer) I am still here and thanks to great co-workers, an entrepreneurial spirit, interesting projects, competitive salary and a professional yet flexible environment, I don't plan on going anywhere.

Cons

Everyone wants cheaper and better benefits. Cumming works to be as competitive as they can given the company's size.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing to continue the growth of a relatively young company, in very old industry, at an admirable pace. Keep focus on the people (clients and employees).

5. Fulfilling, challenging, great environment and a fun company to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Cumming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Relaxed, fun and friendly environment - work hard / play hard mentality. - Good fellow-employees - Everyone works well together and is truly part of a Team. - C-Level Management is down to earth and easily approachable (no big egos). - Fruit, coffee, monthly birthday lunches, Social Fridays, summer and holiday parties, giving back and volunteer events throughout the year!

Cons

Some offices have different working environments and personalities than others. It would be nice to have everyone on the same page and to really encourage the TEAM environment across the board.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote from within and reward your employees! We really enjoy and appreciate the fun social perks you provide.

6. I'm not going anywhere (unless my boss thinks otherwise)!

Current Employee - Administration in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Administration in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Cumming full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have fully enjoyed the 8 years working here at Cumming Construction Management, Inc. There is a great balance of professionalism and fun team building events. We obviously get the job done with the number of happy repeat clients and strive for the best. This company has been a big part of my life so far and am excited for what it brings in the future!

Cons

Paid holidays, PTO (flex days) are slim and benefits are a bit pricey if claiming more than yourself. Not everyone participates in team building events, which can come off as not wanting to be a "team member."

Advice to Management

Remember to treat others the way you want to be treated. Get more people to participate in office activities, especially the higher-ups! They are leaders and are missing out!

Great company to work for!

I have been working at Cumming full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Office culture is great at Cumming. Everyone makes it fairly easy to transition into working here, and very helpful with answering any questions. I have had the opportunity to learn so much more about the industry from my team members! Also, everyone here is very friendly, and will start up a conversation on how your weekend went, your family, etc. Cumming also has a "work hard, play hard" mentality, and I tend to work best in that environment.

Cons

I haven't come across many downsides to be honest. I am looking forward to a few more processes to be implemented, the company is growing and some areas still need to catch up with that growth.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage personal growth and leadership opportunities.

8. College life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murrieta, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murrieta, CA

I have been working at Cumming full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Above average pay. Beer in the office. There can be some fun and generous and fun events. You get to work on exciting projects.

Cons

Where do I begin? Senior management with no formal training or even a Bachelors degree. Unethical practices are the only thing that is consistent. The compensation and bonus program is unfair with no real parameters. All of the bonuses, vacation time allotment, salary and benefits are not transparent. There is no consistency and each person is basically given what their hiring manager believes that specific person should get. Employees from the UK are favored over the other employees. Billable time is more important than everything else. No flex time - at all. You are looked down upon if you are a few minutes late even when you worked late the day before. Benefits are expensive.

Advice to Management

Hire managers with the education and qualifications necessary to lead a company. Have set standards with minimal exceptions.

Cumming Response

Feb 20, 2015 – Director, Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for your review. I’m truly sorry and saddened to hear that you feel this way. As a 10 year tenured Team Member, you have likely been a catalyst to our success, culture, and growth over the ... More

Great people

I have been working at Cumming full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with coming for some time now and what keeps me here is the people. Companies attempt to invest and push "culture", but CCorp just has it. Its a laid back atmosphere where you have the freedom to do your job well. You're held to a high standard and less is rarely accepted, but if you're up for it, then you will do well. Back to the point, its the great people that drive this company. People you can laugh with if you have the ability to laugh at yourself as well. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Cons

Like many companies, you see people thrive and grow because they're good at what they do. Also like many companies, you wonder why certain people aren't held to the highest standard of the majority. I think that's present everywhere, however.

Advice to Management

The executive team brings individual strengths and weaknesses to the table and I feel they balance eachother out well. None of them expect you to be a "yes man".

You must be ambitious

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cumming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want challenge and ask for it, they will give you a shot. They are not afraid to let young people take on big roles.

Cons

If you don't fight for your compensation and position, you won't get ahead. They will reward ambition, but if you are a doer and not a seller, you will be stuck until you sell yourself higher.

Advice to Management

A clearer org structure would be great.

It's is a great place to work. Lots of camaraderie. Heavy investment in personal growth.

Current Employee - Estimator in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Estimator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Cumming full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

We work and play hard. Don't apply if you are looking for a job. Only apply if you are looking for a career. The company has a formal leadership development plan that grows individuals in their career and it willingly supports self directed personal growth endeavors. Accountability is open and direct with the goal of top quality deliverables and client satisfaction as the baseline for performance. Nice bonus plan if you perform well. Good benefits. Management is willing to listen and encourages individual initiative. Opportunity to be involved in many different kinds of construction - hotels, gaming, healthcare, education, civic, infrastructure, government, private, mixed use, corporate, themed entertainment, mission critical.

Cons

It has become a large firm with the resultant loss of some of the intimacy that a small firm affords but this is far outweighed by the resources that are available at your fingertips. All the latest software and hardware. The intimacy is still preserved in each office. The company has grown so much that it is impossible to know everyone in the firm now. Nice working environments. Don't look for a private office but count on comfortable contemporary workspaces.

Advice to Management

Continue the leadership development initiative. Preserve the flat organizational structure as best you can with the growth plan. Continue to vest decision making authority at the lowest levels possible. Continue to develop leaders from within as far as possible. Keep doing what you are doing.

RSS Feed </> Embed