Cummins-Allison

Be The First To
Add Photos

John E. Jones

The Kings of Currency handling

Branch Manager (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat fellow employees. They believe in training,

ConsTheir pay structure. Especially in management

Advice to Senior ManagementI would still be there if they would have been more understanding of salary situations in major metropolitan areas. Probably the best job I ever had. Very sad I am no longer with them.

Ok. Could have been better

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Mount Prospect, IL

ProsNice people working there. Co-workers are generally friendly and sociable. The actual content of the work is actually pretty interesting.

ConsUncompetitive compensation. Management sometimes thinks that things will be much easier to accomplish than they actually are. Stuck using some very old-fashioned tools. When I left in 2013, they were finally upgrading some people from Windows XP.

'Old School'...nothing more succinct than that. More resistant to change than witches to water.

Technical Writer (Former Employee)
    Mount Prospect, IL

ProsProduct improvement, although in a sometimes frightening slow life-cycle, does continue. There are always constant revisions and upgrades, new machines, other oem products acquired, etc. That is definitely the saving grace of this place, what keeps folks around.

ConsOld School culture. Perception is highly regarded (i.e.: being on time, not calling in sick). It's nearly impossible to get fired if you show up on time and never call in. They'll never notice lack of productivity, ever. Productivity is not rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward productive employees who contribute, not those who merely show up and sit down.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall a great place to work

ProsVery accommodating to employees. Decent benefits and general culture is very friendly. I really enjoy working with my peers.

ConsThe management culture is very task orientated focusing on the day to day versus having a vision. for the future. Upper management for the most part lacks the overall strategic thinking that would be beneficial to a US manufacturer.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave strategy meetings with all functional groups to develop a vision. Embrace employee empowerment and eliminate micro management. Establish some additional metrics to determine what works and what doesn't and to identify areas for improvment for all functional groups.

Field service engineer

Field Service Engineer (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsCompany perks, company car, gas, and cell phone, not in the same place all day! No bosses hounding over your shoulder

ConsBecause of all the perks the pay is extremely low and not paid fairly to the cost of living, all techs here are at least 10k a year underpaid, there are also favorites who are friends with the boss outside of work and are allowed benefits no one else is

Advice to Senior ManagementSome advise is to treat all employees fairly, have quarterly reviews and help employees progress in their position and have competitive pay!

R&D group is great... Home office is horrible.

Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee)
    Carlsbad, CA

ProsR&D group was incredibly advanced, leading edge technology. Small group environment. Great people.

ConsNo chance of career advancement. Incredibly bad compensation caused high turnover. Very old school. Middle management useless, only interested in CYA, zero accountability.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the stone age. Create some sort of accountability for product lines.

very warming,professional atmosphere with room to advance

Warehouse (Former Employee)
    Mount Prospect, IL

Prosemployees,environment,working conditions,very good company to work for,mid-management gets you involved in the daily process and respects your input

Consupper management and ownership kept employees in the dark prior to downsizing,then chose to eliminate lower hourly employees while keeping higher paid ineffective managers

Advice to Senior Managementmake every employee aware of where they stand.instead of keeping them in the dark(a.k.a bill jones)

Good Company

ProsCompany Vehicle, Great Benefits, 401k Contribution, Company Supplied Tool Kit.

ConsThere really aren't any cons with this company.

Software Design Engineer II

Software Design Engineer II (Former Employee)

ProsWork :
    - Variety of products to learn and work on.
    - Opportunity to grow, if you feel stuck you can approach management.
    - Approachable management
    - Opportunity to challenge yourself if you want/like
    - Medium size teams
    - Growing Software Dept. allows to show your capabilites and recognized for your work.
    - Intelligent and helpful engineers, lot to learn.
    - Stability

Work-Life Balance:
    - No take home work (For some people it might be Con but I think this gave me opportunity to be home with family and not thinking about work)
    - Usually not needed to stay late at work.

Work Enviornment:
    - Family like enviornment
    - Once a month communication meeting/ Christmas Lunch
    - Surrounded by nice trail. Lots of people take short walk during lunch break.

Cons- Fixed time schedule
    - No option to buy lunch inside building. But have lots of restaurants close by.

Advice to Senior Management- If possible, flexible time schedules specially for people with kids.
    - More team building excercises. Most engineers are sitting in cubes most of time. Some activities for team would be great.

Stable company and a nice place to work

Pros- Established company with solid long term growth prospects
    - Privately owned and the current owners manage the company for the long term and invest heavily in R&D
    - Management provides a good work life balance
    - Opportunity to work with a number of talented engineers
    - Opportunity to participate in full life cycle product development
    - Excellent opportunities for career development

ConsNone really to speak of.

Worked for Cummins-Allison? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cummins-Allison reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cummins-Allison CEO John E. Jones. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Cummins-Allison employees.