Cummins

Updated December 3, 2014
3.7

Cummins Chairman and CEO Tom Linebarger
Tom Linebarger

Pros
  • The fact that it is HQ'ed in Indiana gives a very nice work-life balance (in 59 reviews)

• Good work environment and strict enforcement of treatment of each other policy (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance could be an issue but that is everywhere in today's economy (in 25 reviews)

• Over played Six Sigma requirement for all employees defeats the original intent of (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

263 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best place to intern

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Learning experience, Good pay for interns, people are always willing to help, focus on ethics is impressive,

Converted intern to full time

Cons

Location, not so challenging projects

Ethical, innovative company that builds/supports quality product, communities and careers!

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Specialist in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Specialist in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My experience with Cummins has been very positive, in that I've had the opportunity to build my career and grow from within the company. I'm able to work collaboratively and cross-functionally to gain a deeper knowledge of the product and become immersed within the culture. All of my managers have asked me from day one, what my goals were for myself and have been supportive of my career development plan. Cummins encourages employees to take on roles, learn, grow, work hard, share the knowledge and continuing along to build your career by moving on to other roles within the company. Encouraged growth is very important to me! They also promote community involvement and volunteering within the community (very cool!). Their attention to environmental causes, not only locally but globally is amazing! My work life balance is very good. All of my managers have been understanding and work with me as a working mother and someone who has health problems from time to time. This is such a relief! Cummins supports me as an employee and individual.

Cons

No matter what company you work for, there are always going to be challenges, both personally & professionally. The grass is not always greener on the other side! With that said, I've found my experience within Cummins has taught me it's important to voice concerns with coworkers/management/leadership constructively and in a manner that sparks change from a positive place. Sell yourself, be accountable and work hard - that's how you'll stand out and continue to grow.

Coaching is very important. Regular One-on-Ones are key to understanding your employees, identifying weaknesses and strengths, improving daily work/projects and opening the line of communication for effective and efficient work plans. Nothing should be a surprise to an employee if leadership is communicating effectively with their employees, groups, departments.

Just me review

Current Employee - Sourcing Manager in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Sourcing Manager in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible, Opportunities for promotion if you prove yourself, good work/life balance

Cons

Small town. For lack of a single word term - observed correlation between family ties and position hierarchy.

Good company to work for..

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good values, treatment of others, good growth opportunities

Cons

overplayed six sigma, too much manufacturing focused

better compensation would help attract talent.

Exceptional Experience at Cummins

Former Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere at Cummins is very laid back. The managers and supervisors are supportive. Great diversity and many social events during the summer including the Cricket Tournament and Float & Roast.

Cons

There is a lot of training and reading involved in order to catch up with Cummins' technology and learn how they go about doing things. There many meetings throughout the day.

Since there are many cross-functional departments and teams working on one product, it would be helpful to present a PowerPoint describing all of the teams involved and their relationship to what you will be working on. This will be extremely beneficial to any intern or new employee, especially in the engineering department. It will be a starting point to know who to refer to when you run into problems.

Great company to work for with lots of career opportunities but headquarters are in a small town in Indiana

Current Employee - Service Engineer in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Service Engineer in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to network with people and can have a decent work life balance if you control it. You do get rewarded if you work hard and smart. Diverse

Cons

Headquarters are in Columbus IN which is in the middle of nowhere

College recruiting has to be done outside of Midwest areas

Wonderful company culture

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Wide variety of divisions to work in, great work environment, tons of opportunities to explore.

Cons

There are not any major cons to this company.

Corporate supply chain intern

Former Employee - Corporate Supply Chain in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Corporate Supply Chain in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Collaborative, strong company with a lot of growth opportunities. Management was very receptive and the intern speaker series gave me a chance to talk with upper management.

Cons

Very slow heavy industry, seniority is a high priority. MBA is vital for moving up the company to any high position.

None

Great company culture where people care

Former Employee - Purchasing Intern in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Purchasing Intern in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There is a fantastic sense of a team environment throughout the company. They practice what they preach in terms of values and responsibility. Many opportunities to change career trajectories through finance, engineering, HR, purchasing.

Cons

Often difficult to communicate ideas and contact those needed. Cummins is heavily focused on their engineers, so it is possible to feel less important in other positions.

Continue to be passionate about your employees! My managers and teams cared for myself and everyone else. It created a dynamic working environment.

Great Opportunity to work where you can learn a lot

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Nice Work Environment and Friendly senior management

Cons

Little slow in interview process may be because of large number of applicants