Cummins

Cummins Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Cummins Chairman and CEO Tom Linebarger

Tom Linebarger

Pros:
  • "Great work/life balance, depending on the function you're in"
    in 41 reviews
  • "Great place to work - Great culture and values, Focus on individual development"
    in 23 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance could be an issue but that is everywhere in today's economy"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Forced ranking is always a controversial and devisive exercise"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Stable company for long term career path

BDM (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than 8 years

ProsA company that has all the right core values and ethics. Stable and conservative company for long term career seekers with one company. A company focused on globalization and growing rapidly creating career opportunities for those who want to advance and grow.

ConsCompensation and bonus is low and not competitive compared to other companies in the same sector. Over played Six Sigma requirement for all employees defeats the original intent of Six Sigma creating too many useless projects that do not amount to any savings on cost or efficiency gains.

Advice to Senior ManagementCummins needs to focus more on technology and product innovations to be a market segment leader in the global market. Too many "me too" products with no real value proposition with high price is the common feedback.

Very proud to be part of the Cummins family

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than 10 years

ProsStrong ethics and treat to others policy.
The company offers opportunities to be in different roles, hence improving your business acumen.
The company in general is very flexible.

ConsHQs are in Columbus IN, virtually nothing interesting to do there and does not have operations in big cities.

Awesome Experience!

Rapid Serve Engineer (Current Employee)
Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat Work Culture...nice experience to work

ConsNothing as such...everything is good

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for!

Technical Specialist (Current Employee)
Shoreview, MN

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than 5 years

ProsEthical company, good people , global presence

ConsSlow in adapting to change

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on new product development and use six sigma only where required.

I worked at cummins as an intern

Fluid Meteorology Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Cummins as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat pay, excellent trainings and people are always available when needed

ConsNone that I can tell

College Hire Resume Builder - Two Years and Out

Sourcing Specialist (Current Employee)
Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than a year

Pros- Plentiful professional development training opportunities (6S, Project Management, CPSM, CPIM, Etc.). Cummins does invest the time and financial resources required to quickly develop their College Hire employees.
- New Challenges (Leading Projects) will be given to those who are ambitious at a young age
- Typically an easy going work environment, flexible time schedule, occasional work from home, opportunities to work internationally, cross functional involvement
- Many terrific "working level" employees who will more than lend a hand to those willing to learn
- Technically sophisticated products with few competitors
- Strong historical financial performance along with a leading brand image in the marketplace
- Compensation packages are fair and equitable for a College Hire in the Midwest (roughly industry average)

Cons- Senior Management is non-existent (like ghosts who haunt the halls), top down hierarchy organization.
- Work life balance is hit or miss. Certain employees will be given more work than they can handle, with no promotion in sight, and burnout, while others will work no more than 40 hours/week.
- Performance reviews are based on the antiquated FORCED RANKING system (1,2,3) which ultimately is conducted by management whom most working level employees have slim to no interaction with. From my experience regardless of if you perform exceptionally or skate by, your performance and merit raise is no more than a political coin toss.
- Promotions are very tenure and politically based (wait your turn approach). Ambitious college hires will be worked well beyond their pay grade with no promotion to follow for well over a year.
- Bureaucracy at it's finest (Direct Purchasing), 4-6 month 6S projects are forced onto both new and seasoned employees which could be more effectively accomplished in a one hour meeting. Insurmountable levels of "red tape" make the simplest task take weeks.
- ERP/MRP/Mainframe Systems are in disarray beyond repair. The convoluted mess Cummins has created over the years has made the simplest task within their MRP systems a nightmare (that is on the off chance they decide to function properly).
- Middle Management is marginal at best, too many people supporting too many projects on the periphery, not many employees have a concrete understanding of the scoping of their roles.
- Zero synergy between business units (ex- two business units may be sourcing an identical product from a supplier and have no knowledge of it's happening)
- Columbus, Indiana is a small industrial focused town, in the greater geographic area there are very few "white collar" opportunities outside of Cummins. This gives Cummins a "de facto" monopoly on the professional job market, which HR does use to their advantage. From an entertainment or night life perspective there is none, your only option would be to hike 50+ miles to Indianapolis/Louisville.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your everyday employees.

Manufacturing Engineer

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent growth opportunities, cheap place to live ( Columbus, IN)

ConsAverage work culture, less support from the upper management, less training

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to spend more time on understanding what the employee needs.

well paid and given the opportunity to explore my interests

I have been working at Cummins full-time

ProsFRiendly enviroment
Ability to move around with ease career wise

Conshire fire trend based on market

Great experience and team I worked with

Process Documentation (Former Employee)
Seymour, IN

I worked at Cummins as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat team atmosphere in process documentation

ConsCould use better communication between employees

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cummins

ProsGreat atmosphere of trained professionals with encouraging career opportunities for in-house employees.

ConsIntern program not given proper attention due to the lack of designated training employees.

Worked for Cummins? Contribute to the Community!

Cummins Videos

Cummins – Why Work for Us?

• Cummins Inc. is a global power leader that designs, manufactures, sells and services diesel engines and related technology globally. • We serve our customers through our network of 500 company-owned and independent… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cummins reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cummins CEO Tom Linebarger. All 442 reviews posted anonymously by Cummins employees.