Cummins

Cummins Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Cummins Chairman and CEO Tom Linebarger

Tom Linebarger

Pros
  • Work life balance is good- Most people stick to the 8-5 schedule(in 44 reviews)

• Working there has given me the opportunity to learn marketable skills I can use in other businesses(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance could be an issue but that is everywhere in today's economy(in 22 reviews)

• Over played Six Sigma requirement for all employees defeats the original intent of(in 21 reviews)

A good place to work

ProsGood culture. Flexible work hours. Reasonable work/life balace.

ConsTake time to move up as a technical perspn.

Finance Intern

Finance Intern (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Pros-Manager and co-workers very supportive and helpful
    -Friendly work culture

Cons-None that I experienced as an intern

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Stupid Rating system!!!!

Engineer (Current Employee) Columbus, IN

ProsFlexible work hours,good pay,solid company with revenue increasing each year,stable job

ConsThey rate human beings on a scale of 3 for the first 5 years i think(whats worse is, its forced ..10% of the people need to get like a 3 ,1 being the highest)!!!!!!!couldn't get my head around it

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you don't have the data to show that the system has worked...get rid of it or you will have a hard time convincing the new generation of college hires

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This is a good place to work

Rapid-serve Engineer (Current Employee) Columbus, IN

ProsGood advancement opportunities and they are very concerned about the local communities they are a part of.

ConsSometimes you can get lost in the shuffle

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at this point

Great place to work, tries to adapt modern workplace environment, still has very structured environment.

Test Engineer (Current Employee) Seymour, IN

ProsEveryone in my department is friendly, easy to work with, and you can tell they love their job for the most part. There are lots of team building and community days/events that are paid and very enjoyable. Laptops/network are far superior to any large corporation I've worked for including GE, ACOE, and USEC so less frustration. Union is easy to work with and even allows hands on experience with engines if requested.

ConsStructured job titles and responsibilities as with any large corporation. High level management still has some old school views on things and some use intimidation techniques when asking about things. Different departments often don't collaborate for what is better over all for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't use intimidation to try and get answers out of people, it makes it hard to process things and they don't come out as they really are. Try to forget what has been done for the past xx years and look at what is best with today's technology. Don't be afraid to try new things.

Dysfunction to the core

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI was close to my home

ConsI worked at Rocky Mountain in Broomfield. Just a joke, look around at management.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to look seriously at the people you call leaders.

Great place to work

Product Validation Engineer (Current Employee) Columbus, IN

ProsGreat work culture and diversity. Allows for moving within the company to move and grow your career

ConsLocated in a small town. Needs to have offices in bigger cities

Great place to work

Data Management Leader (Current Employee) Columbus, IN

ProsGreat culture. Great career opportunities. Good focus on people and adequate amount of resources available for employees. Open communication and access to senior leadership. Good sense of teamwork.

ConsHR is very hard to deal with and very inefficient. Innovation is very slow, sometimes processes get in the way of innovation.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Wonderfully rewarding and exciting

Program Manager (Current Employee) Columbus, IN

ProsGreat culture, diverse environment, commitment to personal development.
    The HQ city is small and quaint
    Ability to move within the company

ConsVery conservative about it's outlook, job cuts way before any real threat

Controls Engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Columbus, IN

ProsThis is a great company to work for; I appreciate the leadership team and their visibility and availability. They desire to have a positive impact in the community by not only making volunteering options visible to everyone, but by encouraging everyone to offer 4 hours of volunteer time on work hours.

ConsDepending on which group you end up, the opportunities for growth might be limited. The pay can be below average.

Worked for Cummins? Contribute to the Community!