Cummins

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Cummins Chairman and CEO Tom Linebarger

Tom Linebarger

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Cummins is a great learning experience

Product Design Engineer (Current Employee)
    Fridley, MN

Pros-Get to do relevant work for company
    -work is challenging
    -good balance of hands on work and computer work
    -work environment is laid back
    -very diverse workplace
    -flexible hours

Cons-have to create work at times
    -horrendous IT department

Advice to Senior ManagementMany times, I felt that the IT department hindered my ability to work, when the whole point of technology is to make work more productive.

Great company to work with if you are passinate about your work...

Reliability Engineer (Current Employee)
    Fridley, MN

ProsGreat company to work with if you are passinate about your work...Lot of tools, systems and processes to learn about.

Consthe growth might not be as expected but it is worth it and eventually "they" would kow your worth.

Advice to Senior Managementput right people with right skilss in right areas

Finance Intern

Finance Intern (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

Pros-Manager and co-workers very supportive and helpful
    -Friendly work culture

Cons-None that I experienced as an intern

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stable company for long term career path

BDM (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsA company that has all the right core values and ethics. Stable and conservative company for long term career seekers with one company. A company focused on globalization and growing rapidly creating career opportunities for those who want to advance and grow.

ConsCompensation and bonus is low and not competitive compared to other companies in the same sector. Over played Six Sigma requirement for all employees defeats the original intent of Six Sigma creating too many useless projects that do not amount to any savings on cost or efficiency gains.

Advice to Senior ManagementCummins needs to focus more on technology and product innovations to be a market segment leader in the global market. Too many "me too" products with no real value proposition with high price is the common feedback.

Good company to work for!

Technical Specialist (Current Employee)
    Shoreview, MN

ProsEthical company, good people , global presence

ConsSlow in adapting to change

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on new product development and use six sigma only where required.

a company going downhill

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

Prosthe engine division is still profitable and stays ahead of competition.
    very diverse in product portfolio and markets served.
    senior leadership knows how to make balance sheet pretty to please wall st.

Consred tapes everywhere. bureaucracy.
    large group of mediocre or even incompetent middle management. efficiency can double if you fire half of them.
    relatively lower pay compared to industry average.
    sneaky and powerful human resource department makes you wonder who is really running the company.

Advice to Senior Management6 Sigma is an open secrete in the company that everybody knows it stinks but everybody pretends to love it.
    you know the quality of employee if low cost labor is your human resource strategy.

Great company to work for - they care about their employees

Minneapolis, MN

ProsCummins' cares about their employees and offers alot of benefits

ConsSome of the technology is outdated. Need to hire more IT personnel and outsource less.

Initial excitement was gradually replaced by growing disenchantment

Engineer (Former Employee)
    Fridley, MN

Pros- Global nature of company means you get a lot of interaction with colleagues from around the world.
    - Size of company also means that there are opportunities to move into different types of roles (however, you need to know who to network with to get these opportunities)
    - Work-life balance was great. Leadership acknowledges that everyone has a life outside of work and in my experience, have been flexible to everyone's needs. E.g. nobody gives you an evil eye if you take some time to run errands during the day. Obviously the understanding is that you make up that time and get your work done eventually.

Cons- Salary is pathetic, bonus is a joke
    - Too many mediocre, insecure people, especially in middle management. Some people get promoted because they meet the requirements of a checklist(education level, tenure at company, etc.) even though they make terrible managers.
    - People are generally comfortable and do not want to change (a lot of "but we have always done it this way.....")
    - Six Sigma forced down people's throats. It is an excellent tool if used appropriately but that isn't always the case.
    - As with many big companies, red tape can really hold you back from doing the job well.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management mostly made up of great, smart people. But look at middle management and you see a giant disconnect. Fix that and maybe you will see a more aligned company, instead of people trying to step on each other to get ahead. Also, colleagues from different Business Units need to stop treating each other as the enemy.

Worst place I have ever worked

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    Fridley, MN

ProsWith all due respect, I cannot think of any

ConsUse of H1B Visas suppressed wages and limited opportunities significantly (perhaps almost totally)
    Six sigma forced to be used in ways it did not apply or were beneficial to the company
    Treatment of employees was abysmal
    Facilities were unclean and dismal, which should change with the new building
    The "Jack Welsh" rating and performance system used to grade employees and fire employees was based on politics, and was a joke because the management team was forced to identify 10% of the workforce each year that had performance problems regardless of how the employees were actually performing. Worse yet, the program was abusive. It was called "take your turn in the barrel" and had nothing to do with performance. At some point, each employee was given a rating of "3" and was forced to go through a meaningless performance improvement system. Although the reason for getting a "3" was meaningless and baseless, the consequences were dire and many times included losing your job - all because your manager was not as good at defending you in the yearly management review meeting as someone else's as they were trying to come up with the "mandatory" ten percent of employees who were "poor" performers.

Good corporate leadership, but spotty at lower levels

Operations (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsGood work culture and corporate responsibility. Allows paid community work time every year. Minneapolis is headquarters for Power Generation, so you have room for career growth without having to relocate.

ConsNot enough resources to hit aggressive financial targets. Work life balance is not the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have unreasonable targets, people give up even trying to hit them. If you can't hire, you need to prioritize on what is really important.

Worked for Cummins? Contribute to the Community!

Cummins Videos

Cummins – Why Work for Us?

• Cummins Inc. is a global power leader that designs, manufactures, sells and services diesel engines and related technology globally. • We serve our customers through our network of 500 company-owned and independent… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cummins reviews and ratings in Minnesota — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cummins CEO Tom Linebarger. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Cummins employees.