Cummins Power Generation

Updated January 29, 2015
3.4

Cummins Power Generation President Tony Satterthwaite
Tony Satterthwaite

Pros
  • Great work life balance, career development opportunities including travel and mentoring (in 7 reviews)

• As an intern, exposed to a lot of situations, so large opportunity for growth (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Unfortunetly, it gets lost somewhere in the middle management level (in 4 reviews)

• Incompetence of senior management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Cummins Power Generation

Pros

Great company that focuses on employees and treats them as individuals rather than resources. Good benefits and a great culture. Facilitates employee's goal by creating long term development plans.

Cons

Its not the best company to work for if anyone focuses on earning more money for similar positions

Training tailored specific to job function. Development plan for area of improvement and measurement plan

Phenomenal workforce and culture held back by short-term decision making

Current Employee - VPI Lead in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - VPI Lead in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Cummins Power Generation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've had great support to explore what I'm passionate about in project/program management. Good role models, and managers. Plenty of opportunity to take part in community involvement activities, to give back. Lots of very smart and hardworking individuals that may not even realize how valuable they are to the company. Great rapport around co-workers. Due to the nature of my role, I can work from home when I want. Most work place issues are generally addressed in frank and 1:1 interactions, office politics are low. Leadership within my group is approachable and cares about the work at hand.

Cons

HR seems intent on averaging out high performers, and normal performers via weird pay scale changes. If you come in with a higher salary for having a MSc your pay increase per each promotion will definitely be lower. This promotes poor behavior where high performers have little incentive to work harder.
    Product Planning office needs to get better. Projects decision making should not be made purely based on project cost. Long term planning/benefits should be explored thoroughly, including cost to brand name and customer experience.

HR really needs to identify high performers and make them want to perform just as hard the next year as well. The tendency to average out employees to match some known statistical pay grade average is not ok, and results in poor morale. Improve the Fridley Plant, the engineers among us are the hardest workers and the current plant hasn't seen a facelift in decades. CPGO and FOA buildings are in great condition.
    Overall company performance I think is good, just need to unleash the power of the existing workforce by recognizing their work and effort and improving the quality of work experience.

aseembler

I have been working at Cummins Power Generation

Pros

great company great benefits good people

Cons

in order to work for this company you need to start as temp work for kelly services wich sucks in everything

do more hirings for those who deserve it

Great place to work

Current Employee - Rental Sales Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Rental Sales Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Cummins Power Generation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management supported you and they do everything the right way as far as repairs go.

Cons

On call 24 hours a a day

Alright

Current Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Cummins Power Generation

Pros

Pay is competitive, standard benefits, culture is diverse and inclusive of all types. People are friendly. Work life balance is ok most of the time.

Cons

They are constantly going through reorg and cuts. Upper management at times seems confused about the direction of the company. Lots of planning happens with little action.

Slow to perform changes

Current Employee - Global Planning Manager in Fridley, MN
    Current Employee - Global Planning Manager in Fridley, MN

I have been working at Cummins Power Generation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Diversity culture, recognition of good work performed.

Cons

Slow pace to promote changes in several levels.

Good Learning experience for a College Hire

I have been working at Cummins Power Generation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great talent pool, Promotes Team work

Cons

Certain job profiles demand Reactive work rather than Proactive work, making the job stressful at times.

Interesting work and good company to work for.

I worked at Cummins Power Generation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work, great people overall, and overall positive culture. Good opportunities for promotion as you proved yourself capable.

Cons

Pay was on low side of Minneapolis market (base lining seemed to be done around corporate headquarters in Indiana) for the position. At the time there was a fair bit of leadership infighting - nothing that pulled the larger org in but was an undertone none the less. Very engineering lead company - marketing was secondary which made for misses in the market place but with a fast follow strategy it seems to work for them.

Keep focusing on your people and their development. Get some more bench strength in marketing so that the ship can be sure to be focused on getting in front the the next wave instead of being surprised by it.

Below Average Work Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Cummins Power Generation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to start if you don't get anywhere else.

Cons

Uninspiring middle management, no mentoring, disconnected from employees, petty politics and managers who talk behind an employee's back but never to to their face (manager used to talk bad about my colleagues behind their back to me so i am sure he must be doing the same about me when i am not around). Age old rating system with no transparency and uninterested managers. First time i have seen that directors are holding grudge against new employees - really shameful and negative environment. Knowledge sharing is minimal.

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fridley, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fridley, MN

I have been working at Cummins Power Generation full-time

Pros

- Diverse workforce
    - Hire lot international employees
    - Get to move within company after 2-3 years

Cons

- Office politics
    - Focus is on presentation than actual work

Cummins Power Generation Photos