Cummins

Cummins Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Cummins Chairman and CEO Tom Linebarger

Tom Linebarger

Pros
  • Work life balance is good- Most people stick to the 8-5 schedule(in 44 reviews)

• Working there has given me the opportunity to learn marketable skills I can use in other businesses(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance could be an issue but that is everywhere in today's economy(in 22 reviews)

• Over played Six Sigma requirement for all employees defeats the original intent of(in 21 reviews)

"Great Company to Intern for"

Applications Hosting (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGreat Pay
    Helpful Leaders
    Team Orientated
    Everyone Open to Ideas
    Doesn't feel like work more like hobby love working

ConsHousing is a issue
    Need to give notices to other employees on interns

Nothing spectacular as advertised.

Mechanical Engineering Technician (Current Employee) Columbus, IN

ProsEngines, engines, and more engines. Great products.

ConsDifficult moving around to other internal postings without a master's degree and experience in specific skills. Find a different location, this town is VERY BORING and far from Indianapolis. Not much to do, even Kmart closed down.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training programs for those who want to move to another role or move up the ladder. Give better bonuses when you have beat your recording breaking profits instead of telling the workers that it's been a bad year.

Most flexible workplace with lot of opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Columbus, IN

ProsFlexible timing, Opportunities. Wide range of products provide learning opportunities

ConsLaid back approach and bad locations worldwide. Worst medical insurance

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Work Culture

ProsThere is a lot of room for personal growth. Everyone in the company is very nice and welcoming, and makes it easy to feel comfortable and right at home.

ConsThe number of locations available to work at are limited, and aren't in any urban areas. You might have to make quite the commute to get to work.

Very Satisfied

ProsThe pros are based upon the breadth of the company and the ease of moving around within roles.

ConsI haven't really experienced any negatives here at Cummins besides their locations which are mostly in the middle of nowhere.

Cummins is a great learning experience

Product Design Engineer (Current Employee) Fridley, MN

Pros-Get to do relevant work for company
    -work is challenging
    -good balance of hands on work and computer work
    -work environment is laid back
    -very diverse workplace
    -flexible hours

Cons-have to create work at times
    -horrendous IT department

Advice to Senior ManagementMany times, I felt that the IT department hindered my ability to work, when the whole point of technology is to make work more productive.

Best choice I've made

Finance Controller (Current Employee) Columbus, IN

ProsSenior Leadership is clear on mission, values and long term goals. Ability to move around frequently within or across functions. Stock performs well so 401k is good. We are a great corporate citizen and live out our values

ConsWork life isn't always great. Base salary is lower than industry. HR processes are long and cumbersome

Great Place to Work!! (Finance)

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsDevelopment opportunities
    Rewards for high performance
    Benefits (401K and etc)
    Location (for career minded)
    Growth Prospects
    Industry Leader
    Senior Leadership

ConsLocation (not a bustling area)
    Depends on the group you work with
    General cons in any corporate environment
    Ambiguity on ranking process

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue investing in high potential employees

ok

Material Handler (Current Employee) Rocky Mount, NC

ProsTo start off you career

ConsLow paying rates for techs

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

ok

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Columbus, IN

Proscompensation
    As my first job out of college, I learned first hand how not to handle situations from my mangers (three in three years) mistakes.

ConsMicro managed
    Management looking out or one's self
    Promises not fulfilled
    A lot of my co-workers were put in situations they could not succeed
    Management pushes responsibility for issues created by management onto direct reports (never the mangers fault)

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower employees. Stop using them as scapegoats for your terrible business decisions. There a lot of solid young talent whose growth and abilities are being squandered by mangers.

Also, I would like to thank them. My experiences have given me a leg up as I interview for positions outside the company. I have a lot of good situational based interview answers from my current stint.

Worked for Cummins? Contribute to the Community!