Cummins Reviews

Reset
1.0
Cummins Chairman and CEO Tom Linebarger
Tom Linebarger

Pros
  • Work-life balance is manageable (in 59 reviews)

• Great work environment, great peers (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is hit or miss (in 25 reviews)

• Over played Six Sigma requirement for all employees defeats the original intent of (in 25 reviews)

1. Quality Engineer

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Westfield, NC
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Westfield, NC

I worked at Cummins (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice shop people work that work hard

Cons

Management will lie to your face

Advice to Management

Wake up

2. Business Planning Manager

I have been working at Cummins full-time

Pros

Reputed brand , good in Engines

Cons

Slow , wall street driven

Politics. Pay. Perception.

Former Employee - Materials Planner in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Materials Planner in Memphis, TN

I worked at Cummins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to begin your career. Despite being in a sink or swim environment with very little training, you can and will learn a lot. Advancement is about who you know and how you are "perceived."

Cons

There is no equality in following policies. Some employees are allowed to do certain things and others are not. Employees are scared to utilize the corporate hotline because of the possible backlash but the company prides itself on treatment of others. The pay is well below average salaries for similar positions. Lots of favoritism, which can literally stop any and every attempt at advancement.

Advice to Management

Stop allowing personal relationships affect your ability to actually manage.

I expected much more from a 10+ Billion dollar per year company

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

401k, and a Bi-weekly check, thats it...

Cons

false promises, lack of structure, poor mngmnt

Advice to Management

devise some sort of divided structure between departments, a defined chain of command, SERIOUSLY look into the multiple conflicts of interest, and put in place defined policies that are enforced rather that poorly and hilariously managed

Manger

Pros

Very detailed and process driven (not sure if this is really a pro).

Cons

Performance rating system is antiquated; HR not flexible with new hire salaries; not forward thinking

Advice to Management

Be open new ideas!!!

Frightening

Current Employee - Executive Director in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sense of industry camaraderie with like professionals

Cons

The degree of social engineering and political gerrymandering is sickening.The company caters to the LGBT community at the expense of all others. Christian & Muslim employees are thus discriminated against in favor of LGBT social, political, and internal company positions. The company positions itself as all inclusive - but a closer review tells a different story. The company urges it people to politically advocate for gay rights while lecturing Christians and Muslims about being on the wrong side.

Advice to Management

Resign. Promptly.

Can't get ahead if you are a man

Current Employee - Chief Engineer in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Chief Engineer in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay through a turbulent time in the economy and stable work, great advancement opportunities if you are a non black minority. Very LGBT friendly and happy to advance females.

Cons

Despite having high ratings and outperforming my coworkers, I can not progress in my career here. I have been held in a lower position because I am too essential to the position, but haven't had any real increases in pay (if you value me show me with pay). Cummins touts itself as being a great employer, but when you look around and do the comparatives you will soon see they aren't even offering competitive wages anymore. More and more benefits are being taken away to inflate the bottom line and keep investors happy.

Advice to Management

Make sure that in your initiatives to be an EOE that you are not reverse discriminating against the white and black men in this company.

Everything you learned about being a good worker, dedicated, etc. just do the opposite and you will make it.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Cummins (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Company benefits decent pay.

Cons

Working at Cummins if you are inexperienced, shut your mouth, obedient and could care less about your job or customers then you will make it big time here! Management will not hire you if you are experienced, knowledgeable, dedicated, and care about your customers/job. I have been told by my management not to apply for jobs that they will pick the job for me and come to me when it is time. If you disobey and go ahead and apply you will not get the job (hint)! Also, they tell you to apply for jobs and then get mad at you and turn around and tell you not to apply. (Very wishy washy) I would file an ethics complaint but does not good if the person you are complaining about has family on the board that handles the ethics complaints. Another thing if you are a woman working in this male dominated environment good luck. Women are treated like underdogs and some of the women just accept it. Then there is the case where you have older workers with great experience and they never get promoted. Cummins preaches diversity just not at our location apparently. Very sad to the company has decent pay and benefits but managements inexperience is what is bringing this company down. Like previously stated if you don’t show your experience and keep quiet then you may have a fighting chance here. Good luck!

Advice to Management

Upper Management needs to keep a better eye on there management teams. Start hiring seasoned honest people! Don't be hiring the most popular people they have no dedication but only to themselves.

Beware of HR practices

I have been working at Cummins full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong culture of respecting employees, a truly global company. Have worked for Cummins for more than 10 years and have enjoyed increasing responsibility roles .

Cons

On treatment of other investigations; the assumption is that the employees is guilty. There is very little opportunity to defend your position . If another employee has something against you; he can elaborate a case against you freely with no objective validation by HR. Also after a decision is made; the employee is treated like a criminal and career ruined for a long period of time US Locations are also not very appealing

I couldn't leave fast enough

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Traveling and Columbus, IN. Learning was done through submersion in the engine industry.

Cons

Diversity is taken as a checkbox and I became one of those statistics. My role was based purely on gender and not on qualifications. We had ongoing harassment issues on my team and despite repeated attempts to address it nothing was done. Internal movement inside of the company is a joke. Upwards movement is solely based on time in a team and completion of Six Sigma. Ethics were lost on the project I was working on when push came to shove with deadlines. Safety was not considered and there was a very "out of sight, out of mind" attitude with non-US work.

RSS Feed </> Embed