Cummins Reviews

Reset
3.7
Cummins Chairman and CEO Tom Linebarger
Tom Linebarger

Pros
  • Work-life balance is manageable (in 59 reviews)

• Great work environment, great peers (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is hit or miss (in 25 reviews)

• Over played Six Sigma requirement for all employees defeats the original intent of (in 25 reviews)

Columbus isn't as bad as you might think...

Current Employee - Mid-Level Manager in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Mid-Level Manager in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins

Pros

Fairly progressive small town with lots of money floating around Decent food, no night life Lots of people from many places around the globe in the same place - easy to make good friends with very different background Less than an hour to Indy, Louisville, Cincinnati Lots of opportunity to help the community (here and big cities) Excellent place to raise a family - no issues with school system here like many suburbs around large cities.

Cons

Backward-thinking people still around (but they are in hte suburbs of large cities too) No night life at all, unless you like it low-key - or make friends and hang with them Limited restaurants, but that makes going to city on the weekend even more rewarding Management either lives in Indy or has its own clique in town - hard to 'break into the circle' Lots of people commute, and no good system in palce to carpool or rideshare Property values didn't drop here as much as elsewhere - propped up by company money?

Advice to Management

When you are interviewing, let people know that Columbus is a great place to live (I moved here from a suburb) but was told that I should live in Indy and commute. I would hate to waste 2 hrs each day - I'm glad I didn't listen to you! Meetings are too long - default should be 30 min, not an hour. SixSigma is a great tool when used by the right people. Some projects I have worked on are spot on, others are a waste of time and talent. Not everyone should have to do it to advance. Glad you positioned us to make it thru the recession and I'm ready to grow to $20B - c'mon big bonuses for EVERYONE!!!

Great place to develop a career!

Current Employee - Director, Strategy in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Director, Strategy in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins

Pros

Truly global and diverse organization, where cross-functional experience is required and also an opportunity to broaden the experience spectrum along the career. It's a culture where long-term relationships are valued, as the product cycle is also long-term. In general terms, other employees are very supportive, and the work/life balance is good. Therefore, you can expect exciting opportunities in a human environment.

Cons

Slow moving and complex, matrix organization

Advice to Management

We should be even more aggressive in pursuing growth opportunities. The company is showing strong stock performance in the last few quarters, and strong cash flow generation, this is a good moment to further accelerate our growth. Regarding the internal business development, I believe we should continue doing a good job in terms of diversity and capabilities development.

3. Summer Internship

Current Employee - Intern in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Intern in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, a lot of room for networking, various locations around the country, corporate culture places a strong emphasis on being a part of the community

Cons

the headquarters is in the Columbus Indiana

Advice to Management

Assign mentors to all of the interns. I thought it was strange that some interns were assigned mentors while others were not. If a mentor is not assigned specifically, it is harder for a new person to know who to talk to when they have a question for the first few weeks.

5. An OK Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins

Pros

1. Mobility in the company. You can look for a new job within Cummins after 18 months and your manager can't stop you. 2. People are nice. They are willing to talk with you about their jobs and opportunities. 3. Diversity is highly supported. A lot of affinity groups. 4. Great performance and future outlook. It will double its size by 2014.

Cons

1. Slow pace. Meetings tend to be long. I'm not used to set up many one-hour meetings. I guess it's because it's a company in mid west down. 2. People do not network as much as people in some other companies. 3. Headquartered in Columbus IN. Really bad location. But a good place to raise family.

Advice to Management

Need to improve the productivity in the supportive and administrative workforce. A lot of business process improvement work to do.

6. Good company to work for but financial management should be better.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins

Pros

Good Company to work for. Good working culture. Better advancement opportunities. Possibilities for lots of learning opportunities. Good people in the company.

Cons

Very poor financial management. Not so good recruiting process. Not so good performance evaluation process. Upper management should be more people oriented.

Advice to Management

Make better financial management process. Compensation level should be re-evaluated. Better healthcare benefit should be offered. Better early raise should be offered.

7. Quality Manager

Current Employee - Quality Systems Manager in Rocky Mount, NC
    Current Employee - Quality Systems Manager in Rocky Mount, NC

I have been working at Cummins

Pros

Great place to develop a solid career foundation and work with good people

Cons

There is no mentoring plan in place to grow and progress throughout the company

Advice to Management

N/A

8. a good place to start

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins

Pros

a lot of training opportunity to rotate within the company diversified employees chance to work overseas availability of senior leaders growing opportunities in the future within the industry

Cons

emphasis on six sigma too many meetings small town - not convenient to change jobs without move work need too long to get done

Advice to Management

non

9. Overall great experience

Current Employee - Finance Intern in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Finance Intern in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins

Pros

warm environment, stimulating work, good intern activities and speaker series, learned a lot about the company

Cons

-2 different managers -more work -wish i could have worked with other interns

Advice to Management

Try to get every intern the opportunity to take the engine familiarization course

10. Good place to work.

Former Employee - Intern in Columbus, IN
    Former Employee - Intern in Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins

Pros

A great place to work if you are passionate about the company. I would recommend if you like a family oriented company.

Cons

You have to live in Columbus, IN for many of the jobs which is a drag. Also there is a lot of lateral movement

Advice to Management

Work to advance people quicker, there is more that could be done to make sure that stars are recognized. Compensation depends on unit.

11. Leading Global Projects within Cummins Business Services (CBS)

Current Employee - Global Project Manager in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Global Project Manager in Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins

Pros

Flexible work culture Good work life balance If you like Manufacturing this is the place for you to work

Cons

I work in the IT division and they don't give too much focus to IT at Cummins. They are late adopters of IT Technologies and this can at times be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Be a little more proactive in bringing in IT Technologies

RSS Feed </> Embed