Cummins
www.careers.cummins.com Columbus, IN 5000+ Employees

Cummins Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2013's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "Great work/life balance, depending on the function you're in"
    in 41 reviews
  • "Great place to work - Great culture and values, Focus on individual development"
    in 23 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance could be an issue but that is everywhere in today's economy"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Forced ranking is always a controversial and devisive exercise"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very educational internship with little issues.

Engineering Intern (Current Employee)
Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins as an intern for less than a year

ProsAs an intern, I got to work on some major projects and develop connections to various coworkers and team leaders. Learning about other groups/departments is encouraged to help find the right group for each person.

ConsThere were not many social activities for the interns to interact with each other. Sometimes communication to interns was lacking.

SQIE Intern

SQIE Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Cummins as an intern for less than a year

ProsExcellent learning experience. Employees are well versed with quality systems. I was handed over 2 good projects which helped me learn a lot more about quality systems.

ConsHonestly, cannot complain about this company. Excellent company to work with. They pay really well and was never disappointed with what i took home.

after 1 year

Engineering Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than a year

Proscyclic growing company...has not figured out how to get out of cycles, but trying

Conschaos in trying to do too many things at once...lots of "systems"...need to focus on getting things done that really matter,....too many meetings

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on the important stuff...

Working at Cummins RMEP

Engineering Tech (Current Employee)
Rocky Mount, NC

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCummins invest in the development of it's employees.. Working there has given me the opportunity to learn marketable skills I can use in other businesses

ConsThere are limited opportunities for the hourly employees to grow within the company. Promoting within is rarely practiced.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are a lot of hourly employees with degrees that the company invested in who are looking for an opportunity to grow within the company. Get a return on the investment by utilizing the talent, experience and education that is in house. Give the internal employees a chance before hiring externally.

Awesome internship experience

Value Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Cummins as an intern for less than a year

ProsVery diverse company to work for. Lots of interesting things to learn about engines. Everyone was very friendly and helpful

Consheadquarters are in a small city. However there are big cities in driving distance.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company wide event organized are great.

Growing opportunites in a good environment

Electronic Controls Engineer (Current Employee)
Columbus, IN

I have been working at Cummins full-time for less than a year

ProsManager recognizes good work
Company has a "growth state of mind" which means leadership roles often open up
Decent salary for the location (Columbus, IN)
Lots of benefits and company discount

ConsCummins is a mechanical company. As someone who works on software, the company has very primitive methods and is still learning. This really slows down your work and can be a nuisance.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing, I appreciate the monthly meetings and enjoy learning about the bigger picture. My manager was new to his role when I came on so a lot of the things I needed were not ready. For some programs I had to wait a month.

Great place to work

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Nashville, TN

ProsDecent salary
Diverse workforce, helpful with immigration processing for international workers
Opportunities for serving community/volunteering
Strong values
Great people to work with

ConsSitting in cubicles all day long can get boring... as with every work place, your manager can make your experience great or challenging

Advice to Senior ManagementBe positive and encouraging... have faith in your workers and they'll be committed to not letting you down

commidity management

Sourcing Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than a year

Prosgood working place, work-life balance, friendly internal personal interaction

Consless entertaiment in the town, not too many places can go after work

A great company to start your your career

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Cummins as an intern for less than a year

ProsRapidly Growing and thus lot of opportunity to learn and explore
A big brand name and trusted organization.
Lot of flexibility for changing the work profile and learning, exploring in other domains.

ConsCummins has aggressive targets to achieve and as such currently not so stable in terms of converting intern position into full time.
Internship can be made more organized.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is great but it required an efforts and guidance to network with senior folks.

Good place to work

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than a year

ProsWilling to invest on you and train you. Managers tries to meet your requests and willing to provide guidance when you are not familiar with the system. Friendly people with challenging projects. Company emphasizes on Community services as well so you will get lots of chance to participate in relevant events. Good place to start your career.

ConsBusiness groups don't listen to engineers that much. They tend to cut down budgets and limit the resources for engineering group - yet expect lots of deliveries. Thought money goes short? They however do have budgets to set up parties in very high end restaurants - for them only of course.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to engineering people and we need resources.

Worked for Cummins? Contribute to the Community!

Cummins Videos

Cummins – Why Work for Us?

• Cummins Inc. is a global power leader that designs, manufactures, sells and services diesel engines and related technology globally. • We serve our customers through our network of 500 company-owned and independent… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cummins reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cummins CEO Tom Linebarger. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Cummins employees.