Cummins

Cummins Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Cummins Chairman and CEO Tom Linebarger

Tom Linebarger

Pros
  • Work life balance is good- Most people stick to the 8-5 schedule(in 44 reviews)

• Working there has given me the opportunity to learn marketable skills I can use in other businesses(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance could be an issue but that is everywhere in today's economy(in 22 reviews)

• Over played Six Sigma requirement for all employees defeats the original intent of(in 21 reviews)

Nothing spectacular as advertised.

Mechanical Engineering Technician (Current Employee) Columbus, IN

ProsEngines, engines, and more engines. Great products.

ConsDifficult moving around to other internal postings without a master's degree and experience in specific skills. Find a different location, this town is VERY BORING and far from Indianapolis. Not much to do, even Kmart closed down.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training programs for those who want to move to another role or move up the ladder. Give better bonuses when you have beat your recording breaking profits instead of telling the workers that it's been a bad year.

Very Satisfied

ProsThe pros are based upon the breadth of the company and the ease of moving around within roles.

ConsI haven't really experienced any negatives here at Cummins besides their locations which are mostly in the middle of nowhere.

Great Work Culture

ProsThere is a lot of room for personal growth. Everyone in the company is very nice and welcoming, and makes it easy to feel comfortable and right at home.

ConsThe number of locations available to work at are limited, and aren't in any urban areas. You might have to make quite the commute to get to work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cummins is a great learning experience

Product Design Engineer (Current Employee) Fridley, MN

Pros-Get to do relevant work for company
    -work is challenging
    -good balance of hands on work and computer work
    -work environment is laid back
    -very diverse workplace
    -flexible hours

Cons-have to create work at times
    -horrendous IT department

Advice to Senior ManagementMany times, I felt that the IT department hindered my ability to work, when the whole point of technology is to make work more productive.

Great Place to Work!! (Finance)

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsDevelopment opportunities
    Rewards for high performance
    Benefits (401K and etc)
    Location (for career minded)
    Growth Prospects
    Industry Leader
    Senior Leadership

ConsLocation (not a bustling area)
    Depends on the group you work with
    General cons in any corporate environment
    Ambiguity on ranking process

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue investing in high potential employees

Best choice I've made

Finance Controller (Current Employee) Columbus, IN

ProsSenior Leadership is clear on mission, values and long term goals. Ability to move around frequently within or across functions. Stock performs well so 401k is good. We are a great corporate citizen and live out our values

ConsWork life isn't always great. Base salary is lower than industry. HR processes are long and cumbersome

very good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosa lot of growth opportunities are available

Consnone that i am aware of

Great employer

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) Columbus, IN

ProsWhile each division (Business Unit) operates pretty independently and slightly differently, overall the company is a great large company to work for. They value their employees and actively promote from within. Company does very large amount of community outreach and charitable giving. Strong sense of social values including vocal opposition to anti-gay legislation proposed in HQ state.

ConsJust average salary and benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll of the upper mgmt people I have heard speak at internal meetings are really impressive. I believe the company is in good hands.

Amazing company

ProsWell paid; good culture; upward mobility

ConsLocation; everything else is great about company.

Awesome

Intern (Current Employee)

ProsCool, awesome, sweet. Love it. Great Experience!

ConsCool, awesome, sweet. Nothing bad to say.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job.

Worked for Cummins? Contribute to the Community!