Cummins

Cummins Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Cummins Chairman and CEO Tom Linebarger

Tom Linebarger

Pros:
  • "Great work/life balance, depending on the function you're in"
    in 41 reviews
  • "Great place to work - Great culture and values, Focus on individual development"
    in 23 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance could be an issue but that is everywhere in today's economy"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Forced ranking is always a controversial and devisive exercise"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Cult Behavior - Social Engineering gone awry

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than a year

ProsLook the other way. It's nice to be employed.

ConsCompany forces abhorrent social policies on both employees and the surrounding communities to include state government. Employees are forced to support the company's social position if even it might conflict with their personal values or religious beliefs. Company does not allow employee expression of alternative viewpoints.

Advice to Senior ManagementDisengage from social activism. Respect the values of individuals who are opposed to being forced to believe that abhorrent lifestyles require celebration and public exaltation.

Sourcing

Sourcing Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay and many opportunities for advancement.

ConsHealthcare and benefit poor compares to other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to better direct resources so employees can improve work/life balance.

All show, no go

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than a year

Pros- The pay is reasonable, but not great

- Midwestern tax rates and housing prices makes for a fairly low cost of living

- There are currently few serious competitors in their core business

Cons- Management always seems to be a work in progress. Lots of greenhorns and newbies that come and go like the seasons.

- I don't remember seeing anyone in HR that appeared to be over 30, yet they stand as gatekeepers as to who gets hired or fired, and they claim to be able to arbitrate disputes among people with twice their age and experience, with predictable results.

- Corporate sloganeering, bureaucracy and micromanagement is as bad as it gets. There is a new global poobah of diversity every other week, and there is an affinity group for every special interest under the sun. Your inbox will fill up with this pabulum in very short order if you don't constantly delete it. After a 10 hour work day and never really being free of the place, employees are expected to perform "community service," sort of like a teenager on probation for a petty crime.

- Upper management haunts the place like Jacob Marley's ghost. They seldom come to our plane of existence, but it's just as well, because we never know what on earth they are talking about anyway.

- Columbus, Indiana is purgatory. The town PR effort tries to portray it as vibrant and interesting, but in reality it is a backwards industrial town that is dull at best, and half of it is quite gritty and depressing. The courtesy of drivers and service workers is often appalling. If you ever walk or bicycle anywhere, you will be shocked to find that Columbus natives truly believe that the bigger vehicle always has the right of way. Check out the crime rates--the statistics aren't pretty.

Advice to Senior Management- Move management, engineering and professional services to Indianapolis. 80% of them are transplants anyway. The minority who are Columbus natives already like spending all their free time in their cars, so they would probably enjoy the drive.

- Fire yourself. Such epic incompetence as the purchase order system and other mindless bureaucracies can only come from the top.

- Micromanagement is so overbearing that most employees spend their days in meetings and chasing the latest corporate edict. They spend their life at Cummins farming paychecks because they aren't empowered to do anything else.

Cummins, are you sure you want to work there?

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Columbus, IN

I worked at Cummins as a contractor for less than a year

ProsI very honestly did not see any. Company appears to be financially healthy but they are very cheap in many ways and very slothful (fiscally) in other areas.

ConsVery political, lots of dead weight, constantly folks looking for someone to blame. My experience in the Financial side of the business was projects were given dates for delivery and then a completely unrealistic scope was mandated. PM's were not able to manage as they should/typically manage projects. To many managers, people were the same as the replaceable parts on their Cummins engines. Everyone I encountered had the "keep your head low" mentality. They drive their employees hard and expect weekends and nights regularly. It is expected.

Advice to Senior Managementnone. It would take 15 layers of bureaucracy to get through to get to them.

Did everything they asked plus took training and extra projects, then they promoted from outside.

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHealth benefits are hard to beat

ConsThe department I'm in will not promote from within. Period.

Advice to Senior ManagementEver wonder why so many employees move? The don't have any opportunity to advance in their department

If you have no integrity and are all about self elevation and preservation, you can go far here

Senior Worker (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLarge company, global presence, many locations

ConsManagers, specifically in Corporate, and the HR function have no integrity and do not know how to implement their own processes. Mgrs rely on their direct reports to do their work and they take the credit unless their a mistake. Corporate HR in Columbus is a joke, no integrity at all. It is a pony show, they focus on who they can be "seen" by they don't have a clue on how to execute their own processes and forget what they say because honesty is not their policy, you can not remember a lie. A really sad organization and my goal is to find another job ASAP!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementBring Tim Solso back and clean house and get back to being an organization with integrity. When Tom Linebarger took over it felt like we went from a democratic platform to Tea Party. Sad place to work and all employees see the drastic difference but leadership manipulates employee survey info to make it say what they want it to say, which is not reality.

Worst place I have ever worked

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
Fridley, MN

I worked at Cummins full-time

ProsWith all due respect, I cannot think of any

ConsUse of H1B Visas suppressed wages and limited opportunities significantly (perhaps almost totally)
Six sigma forced to be used in ways it did not apply or were beneficial to the company
Treatment of employees was abysmal
Facilities were unclean and dismal, which should change with the new building
The "Jack Welsh" rating and performance system used to grade employees and fire employees was based on politics, and was a joke because the management team was forced to identify 10% of the workforce each year that had performance problems regardless of how the employees were actually performing. Worse yet, the program was abusive. It was called "take your turn in the barrel" and had nothing to do with performance. At some point, each employee was given a rating of "3" and was forced to go through a meaningless performance improvement system. Although the reason for getting a "3" was meaningless and baseless, the consequences were dire and many times included losing your job - all because your manager was not as good at defending you in the yearly management review meeting as someone else's as they were trying to come up with the "mandatory" ten percent of employees who were "poor" performers.

poor

I have been working at Cummins

ProsFair compensation, good benefits, various training available

ConsToo many processes, too many people working on the same projects, too many overlaps, too many politics, poor communications, too many management layers

High hopes in the beginning ended in disillusionment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cummins full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCummins is a large corporation that incorporates many standard practices. Experience there can be used and built upon in the future.

Cons- From top to bottom, the management consistently fails to show strong leadership and effective problem solving ability. Some key departments are full of bureaucratic roadblocks which insure that suppliers are made to pay for Cummins' mistakes, and employees don't have access to the tools they need.

- Upper management laments that Cummins has difficulty recruiting and keeping talented employees, but little is done to identify and reward the good people they have. Far more emphasis is placed on media campaigns like diversity, community involvement, and green initiatives than nurturing their core business and the employees they need to make it work. When it comes time to make cuts, and this happens with regularity in a cyclical business like Cummins, the decision as to who is let go appears to be almost random. I have seen competent, well intentioned, and articulate people shown the door, while lesser employees sail through without a hitch. Scuttlebutt surrounding firings almost always speaks of office politics, personality conflicts, or even how much money the person made rather than job performance. For most of my tenure there, Cummins had a forced ranking system for the performance reviews of salaried staff that mandated a certain number of people would get the short stick at each review cycle. They have since dialed back this practice, but the fact that they clung to it for so long says a lot about how sensitive they really were to their employees' quality of life.

- Location. Columbus is a small city of about 40,000 people and is not part of a larger metro area. Indianapolis and Bloomington are each about an hour drive, so the time and expense of visiting an area with more attractions is not insignificant. One might think that its small size and remote location might make Columbus a warm and neighborly place to be. Unfortunately, I found that a sort of reticent cynicism pervades the local culture, and of all the places I have lived, Columbus has proved the most challenging for meeting people, making friends and even finding friendly and honest local services. Those who buy a house in Columbus will almost certainly be faced with the difficult and expensive prospect of selling that house and relocating at some point in the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo put it nicely, middle and lower management has issues. They spend far more time worrying their jobs than actually doing them. Covering yourself and avoiding responsibility are the keys to survival. And for all their use of corporate buzzwords and feel-good initiatives, at the end of the day, Cummins still has an entrenched top down management structure.

If You have a Passion for Bureaucracy and Thrive in a Culture of Intimidation........

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cummins full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Salaries are typically a little above average.

- In general, non-management employees tend to be pretty nice folks and fairly honest.

Cons- Its NEVER about achieving anything - its all about the bureaucracy (or "processes" as they call it).

- Always a Lord / Serf relationship between management and employees.

- Conflicting "metrics" and management promoted contempt continuously pit one business unit against the other.

- Executives and "The Board" go to ANY length to create a public perception of Global Saviors of Mankind at the expense of their employees.

- A diesel engine company whose leaders have ZERO passion for diesel engines - the elder "gearheads" have left and have been replaced by typical public corporation management.

- "Benefits" are much worse than average.

- 90% of your day will consist of feeding the bureaucratic machine.

- Rarely will they "fire" anyone....instead, they have regular layoffs to get rid of people that don't fit the "culture".

- If tremendous profits are deemed "not enough" by the "shareholders", you will go without (supplies, resources, raises, bonuses, employment, benefits, etc.).

- Treatment of their employees contrasts the culture and values that they "publish" to the world.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to be just another branch of the federal government. Stop making EVERY decision based upon short-term shareholder returns and potential government funding (including foreign governments). How about trying to be just a fair and successful diesel engine company for a change instead of looking at products AND employees as just commodoties without identities.

Worked for Cummins? Contribute to the Community!

Cummins Videos

Cummins – Why Work for Us?

• Cummins Inc. is a global power leader that designs, manufactures, sells and services diesel engines and related technology globally. • We serve our customers through our network of 500 company-owned and independent… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cummins reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cummins CEO Tom Linebarger. All 443 reviews posted anonymously by Cummins employees.